Volcano Hybrid Storz & Bickel

T he Volcano Hybrid is an incredible machine.

90 seconds or less to heat up, app allows pre programmed runs, every component is top quality.

I came from a firefly which is a “micro dose” unit. I could use, refill, clean and repeat around ten times to one chamber fill in the hybrid.

The firefly is a decent mobile vape, but if I crank up the temps it will burn the flower. So far no burn in the Volcano. I can take the discard from the firefly and get quite a bit more out of it with the volcano, and it doesn’t burn it. (Not recommended, tastes horrible!!)

We found a “so so” decent black Friday sale so I got my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one. :star_struck:

4 Likes

Congrats Growmie, my wife and I have been using the Volcano for a year now :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Love my Volcano! Am on my third now! Had an original, originally :joy:, the heating element went after about 10 years. Replaced with a Hybrid which during cleaning I managed to horlicks by getting a bit too carried away with the screwdriver so had to replace sharpish!
Also have a Mighty+ for on the move. Love them both.
I set to 180c and usually get 6 good bags from a bowl.

5 Likes

Same here sometime around 185 :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

I picked up aFirefly 2 about eight years ago, and it was great. Completely wore it out in about three years. A couple years ago my wife got me a Firefly 2plus for Xmas, and this was after the company founder’s sold out to the Chinese. The 2+ is a POS, and burns the flower when turned enough to produce vapor. It can only be used with concentrates.
We got an Arizer XQ2 last spring. Just used it a couple times while in the camper, due to the limited room there. Got a couple bags full from it. But need to learn how to get a denser vapor out of it. Back home now, and this reminds me to get it out.

1 Like

@OGIncognito I believe you are an experienced grower. Wondered if you’ve played about with RH levels to see if it makes any difference to the vapour?

1 Like

If you’re talking about VPD…chasing those numbers can drive you crazy. I try and maintain temps and RH by the growth stage.
Seedlings- temps around 78-82 with an RH of 65-75%
Early veg about the same except I drop the RH to 60-65% later in veg I’ll drop the temps a little and the RH closer to 60%.
Flower- I try to keep the temps around 66-78 with an RH of 45-55%. Hope that’s what you’re looking for, I’ve never been a VPD monitor, I just try and maintain the temps and RH above :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

@OGIncognito Apologies - already a little wasted! What I meant was for the dry/cure, getting the bud to a different moisture point to see if it had any effect on the amount and quality of the vapour. There could well be a really good reason why it won’t make a scrap of difference but I’m clueless.

1 Like

Don’t think that would be a factor my friend. Best to slow dry and start the curing process once the bud stems have a moisture content around 10-12 % :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Just pulled the plug on a Cannatrol, hoping it actually gets to me here but I really want to make sure I don’t cock it all up at the last stage. Was thinking, the majority I’m reading about here dry and cure to smoke. I’m not so, as I can ‘dial’ the dry/cure to the exact point I want, are their any benefits to something other than 10-12% for vaping. If not I won’t worry, just curious. Many thanks

3 Likes

Lots of cannatrol users might have advice on that. @Took1-4theteam bought one a year ago

2 Likes

I’ve already started itch’n for the mighty. :rofl:

1 Like

I have the FF2+ and yeah, it’ll burn the poohie out of it. I can make it work but it’s real finicky. By the time I’ve hit it a few times I can’t keep track of what I’m doing and will smoke the crap outta one. Stinks awful and the ole lady gets pissed. And I can’t blame her. :flushed:

Not familiar with the cannatrol, looks interesting though.

I kick myself on a regular basis when I think about how stupid I was to think “What would I ever use these for…” My work through out 46 blue M curing oven used in medical device manufacturing, clean as a whistle. They were set up to draw vacuum or pressurize. One guy took one and made a powder coat oven, he said he was able to get a toyo 22re engine block in it to bake.

1 Like

I have been using the new Vivosun hub, I did buy the entire setup because I wanted to see if all were part of the system would it truly work and hold the VPD. I must say I’m impressed.

Aside from true facts that the room which houses the tent has to be somewhat decent it balances the inside very well. Everything self adjusts. I also added another duct fan to the exterior with a vent hose that pulles air in the bottom and vents to the duct fan at the top. I couldn’t understand how to get vpd right, now I’m understanding how the temp, humidity, and airflow effect the VPD. There’s no way you can ever get it right by guessing.

For instance 45% humidity, 63 degrees temp put my vpd at a 1.7. Which supposedly is too high for flower. Sweet spot is a .9 to a 1.5 low/high. but raise the humidity up to a 50-55 and it will hold a 1.0-1.4 vpd range. But the chart reads close. To mant variables to factor in. But what is most important for a tent to me is the exterior surroundings.

If the humidity on the outside is 80% Goodluck getting the humidity in the tent low enough. So you are right it’s hard to chase but if you havevthe right equipment, it’s achievable.

@Mosca tagged me in . I’m not sure exactly what it is your asking but yes you can program it to fit your exact needs . However I suggest keeping the factory setting if the dry bulb/dewpoint . At least for your first run and you get a better understanding of how it actually works .

That if you change anything at all you might want to add a day or so to the dry cycle depending on how much your packing in there , how big and dense your bud is , and how wet your bud is . Basically changing it from a 4 day dry cycle to a 5 or 5 and a half day cycle .
Then from a 4 day into a 10 day cure but ultimately it doesn’t really matter because the hold cycle is just a continuation of the cure cycle anyway .
Your bud will be smokeable even at the factory default settings if 4 day dry and 4 day cure . But like any other method the longer it cures the better it’s going to get . :+1:

Having said that if I change the actual drybulb/dewpoint setting is only by about a half point . Like I might change it from 54 to about 53.5 and drop the temp o e degree to make it a little bit more dry . But you will see underneath it shows the humidity as well . Typically at around 61 . If you drop it a half point like I did it brings it to about 59 . Then for the hold I let it go back to default setting.
There is a chart that shows you what dewpoint and temp to set it to achieve different levels of humidity . But overall I really suggest to doing your first run at default settings . Then you know next next time if it’s a little to moist for your personal taste to turn it down a notch . If anything just change the days of dry cycle to 5 if you stuff it . ( Be careful not to overstuff , if it starts to freeze up then you know you got too much in there ) . And change from 4 day to 10 day cure .

Unless you have allot . What I do is run a 5 day dry cycle then take out and store in grove or turkey bags while I run another dry cycle untill it’s all been dried then put it all back in to cure together.
Cause you can only fit so much wet in there . But once it’s dried it fits double the amount.

Also as far as how much you put in there . It’s recommended 2.2 pounds of wet . Me personally I don’t weigh it . I do a wet trim and stuff it full . The buds can touch each other but just don’t cramp in to tight or stack on each other .

Hit me up if you need any help . Though sometimes I get busy and don’t make it in for awhile . I’m that case I suggest getting in touch with Jennifer or Ed overr at cannatrol . They have been great about responding the next day asometimes the same day even . I know I contacted them a good dowzen or so times when I got mine. Customer service is unparalleled with them .

Which speaking about busy . I just pulled the trigger for 2 of those new mammoth 8 bar 880 watt with new Evo white mint and plantcentric diodes . I researched 40 different light companies like fohse , hlg , and all the big names . As far as power , uniformity , efficacy , larger footprint , and quality combined concerned it smokes em all . The only light that compared was the new ac infinity Evo10 1000 watt . And I ended up with mammoth because I got it 300 cheaper . Even out blast 1800 dollar lights. Gavita what ? Scorpion diablo who ? Fohse why ? :joy:. Seriously is badass . Plus I got this new device called. A growcast . It does everything a master controller would do . Control watts, timer , on ,off , sunset sunrise , but also can dial in specific and exact ppfd and all from the convenience of your phone and at half the cost of a controller . Ya gotta check that out everyone . Erik from ledgrowlightdepot did a review on it . Y’all should check it out . Compete game changer to a new world level . 150 bucks .

2 Likes

@mosca so almost done with grow rooms dude . Once I get the mammoths they will be going in the 6x11 room . Then my 2 growers choice ROI-720s will go in the room where the pineapples and autos will be along side of the 500 watt . Then I’ll take the 480 flexstar to put in 5x5 tent for seedlings/ start next seasons outside grow early around mid March-early April . :+1:

1 Like

@Took1-4theteam

The biggest one is on bedroom.

Things looking good on your end.

Bought another pineapple few days ago, did not make it out of the store with the top, gave it to another lady going to give it a grow.

1 Like

:+1:. I see you cut yours back a little . Looks good .
I wasn’t able to get mine inside before the first snow we had . After bringing them in they had freeze burns that got worse after first week . So I ended up having to chop them back pretty far . But now they are starting to look like they are recovering pretty well and fast .
They’re pretty hardy plant and easy to maintain .

Yeah, after doing some homework on the Cannatrol, I pulled the trigger on it today. Can’t wait until it gets here!

3 Likes