Drying environment dilemma

So… we grow in a spare room in a 4x4 and somehow lol…this run we’ve ended up with 6 different strains and 9 plants. They still have lots of flowering to do but now I have a little bit of a dilemma.

Typically we run similar strains and they all finish at the same time so the tent gets coverted into a drying tent or we turn the whole room into a dry room but I’m realizing this won’t be the case this time so trying to plan ahead for drying.

Should we;

Get another tent just for drying to let the others finish out?

We can’t dry in the room outside the tent on clothes racks either because the door needs to stay open to maintain good humidity levels if the grow tent is still running. It’s weird because the room has central ac but gets super hot and stuffy if the door is closed, esspecially if the grow tent is still running.

I even thought of getting one of those cloth portable wardrobe situation instead of a tent …

What am I missing here? lol

Here are all the ladies right now… day 48
1 Super lemon haze
1 Plushberry
2 Green crack
2 Blackberry moonrocks
2 Critical 2.0
1 Gorilla purple

2 Likes

What’s the temperature and relative humidity in the room.

Wardrobe boxes can make the perfect drying tent

3 Likes

Normally we run an additional ac later flower and drying to get it down to 60F. Humidity in the room normally is 60% without the tent running and about 55% with the additional small ac.

Tent has 2 dehumidifier right now to keep it around 50 to 55% but it still affect the room when running tent.

3 Likes

That’s a tuff one. So you can or can’t dry in the room outside the room with the tent?

A couple things to consider…

• Good that you’re looking at this now. A poor dry will kill your flavor and ultimately the whole experience.
  • temps are critical
  • rh is critical
  • light deprevation is critical

With these factors in mind I like @Lostgirl recommendation of the wardrobe box. The key will be in your ability to keep the room cool and dry regardless…

3 Likes

Crazy, I have the same dilemma right now. The room I always used to dry became my grow room, now where do I dry.

I think I’m gonna call Harvest Right and see about the pharma software for the wifes freeze drier. It would be nice ta run a few sessions through the drier and be done with it in two or three days. Especially since the smell from drying has always been my biggest concern, and I have neighbors now for the first time in almost twenty years.

If that doesn’t work I’m gonna need a new plan.

A wardrobe box is a good idea, may just need to set up ventilation.

2 Likes

I’ve had the opportunity to test this and had absolutely no problem with it. We all get in the position where we have to make a decision with no clear Outlook.

Same scenario plants going in the tent can’t use it for drying I said screw it I hung a couple spinning laundry racks from the wall my temperatures were 70°, my relative humidity was 55 65% and they dry just fine.

4 Likes

When running a variety I try to take the middle ground. 9 weeks of flower. Or 11 from flip. 8 week strains will have amber 10 week strains are mostly cloudy, peppered here and there with amber. It usually works out. Last time there was 16 on the chopping block, 15 different strains. Not necessarily because the lack of a dry space, but to maintain a schedule. I did have a couple that were 7 week strains, going the extra 2 weeks didn’t hurt. Nothing turned out racy. :call_me_hand:t3: just food for thought.

5 Likes

For the issue of your room getting super hot even though you have central AC. A booster fan for the return ducting may help. You can get one that replaces the grill/cover on your passive return vent. The booster fan helps pull air out of the room, which makes it easier for the cool air from the AC to get pushed in. A fan circulating air within the room can also help.

2 Likes

I appreciate all the responses! That’s what I get for doing a run with random autos lol

I’m going to think about it a bit more. We have other spaces but I’d rather not use them because I’d have to move things around and… umm ocd.

Good thing is we have some time to think about it. They’re all 49 days old with them in random stages lol

I have 2 in preflower, the rest range from week 1 to week 4 of flower.

Not a suprise but none of them will finish in the ranges listed when purchased lol… not a single one! For example the 2 blackberry moonrocks were listed at 8 to 10 weeks and we’re now in week 7 and they’re just in preflower. Those estimates are a joke but atleast now we have records and if we run the same ones again we will have a better idea on how they behave.

1 Like

Here is everyone again from the other side just for kicks! Thanks again for all the responses.

3 Likes

They are looking good! Most seed supply spots will say 8-10 weeks on everything. Veg time can vary. Usually the 8-10 weeks is used a reference to flower time unless otherwise specified.

2 Likes

I used to make pop up tents out of 3mil plastic from the hardware store before I got a dedicated space. It’s not perfect but it did work well enough and It’s cheap and easy.

3 Likes

You need an airplane hangar. Great Scott! That’s a lot of weed!

3 Likes

We decided we will make a dry tent in the same room. This will allow for whoever needs extra grow time to stay and move to the dry when ready… and keep cats out. lol

2 Likes

I know this is a week old, but for anyone who may have a small harvest, a big cardboard box has worked well for me. I run filler rod through the top sides and hang the plants on them. (coat hanger would work too)

Couple of hygrometers in the box and you can open and close the top flaps to regulate RH, even in a dry house. The cardboard will even act as a mild desiccant when RH is too high. And it stays dark.

May seem kinda cheesy, but it worked good for me, took 10 days to dry enough to put into jars.

3 Likes