Where are the light professionals?

Hey guys. I got a couple questions on my light.

I use the VIPARSPECTRA KS5000 in my 4x4 tent. It’s a very powerful light.

It seems like I get a lot of foxtailing towards the end of flower in almost every grow.

In week 7 I always cut my light down to 75% even that super strong and foxtailing tends to continue yet much slower.

I’m in week 9 in my current grow and everything is almost done (another 2 to 3 weeks)

All the fattening and stacking is complete. My question is, is it okay to drop the light to 50%. I believe this will eliminate any foxtailing At this point all I’m waiting on is Amber.

What’s your thoughts?

PS
For the record, I don’t chase light numbers. I set the light to the manufacturer specification height and it’s always worked out good

Here’s my light chart

4 Likes

FWTW when I finished my last tent grow I had lights at 600 ish pffd so about 50 ish percent for the last month read its good to start dropping light towards the end, but that said you are with autos and I do photos.

6 Likes

Foxtails can be stopped by raising the light. Are you maxed out as high as you can go or do you have room to raise slightly? I’m not familiar with your light what is your wattage?

1 Like

Basically I could lower by removing the milk crates. I have the main colas tied off to the tent this way all my smaller side branches are getting adequate light. If I lower them to the floor they’re not going to get any light. The lights 500 watts.

I just don’t know how important the lighting is for trichome production. The buds aren’t going to get any fatter or stack anymore that’s all over with.

Right now I got everything about 17 inches from the light at 75%

I find reducing ppfd needs to happen in wk 5, not like the charts indicate. Charts also say highest dli or ppfd in wk6, that will without a doubt cause foxtailing for me.

You are also going to find that a lot of plants are simply going to foxtail toward the end. Not really a bad thing but appears to be a last gasp from the plant to put out a bit more flower.

1 Like

I’ve gotten to the point where it doesn’t really matter to me. It doesn’t affect the potency it just makes the plant look a little nastier.

1 Like