When to trim sun leaves

Okay so I’m having this conversation with a friend out west and she’s telling me I’m getting close to taking out most of the leaves to allow the nutrients to go to the right places

Debated topic! :joy:

You’ll find some people swear the plant needs them to photosynthesize and some people strip for light penetration. Generally it’s only recommended to remove large fans that block bud sites directly.

4 Likes

Be very careful about leaf removal. Leaves produce the sugars needed to build flower. Without enough leaves the plant will struggle to perform as you’d like.

I see growers ‘lollipop’ their plants which drives me nuts. This should really only be done just ahead of harvest.

5 Likes

I only defoliate what you need for good airflow and light penetration to the bottom colas that you want to reach for it. @Myfriendis410 @Underthestairs I’m out of likes Growmies but Big guys got ya!!

6 Likes

I’m just asking to get a few different ideas. In the past I use to lollipop mine to get that fat top. I’m not doing that now. I have a lot of growth in the lower part that I would like to give more light to fatten up.

2 Likes

I will usually try and leave as many leaves as I can only pulling the ones that yellow. I have some older lights I will add to shine towards the bottom of the plant.

Okay cool I’ll let them alone. It’s only 4 weeks with Hedgehogs. So still a few weeks away.

That’s the only real caveat to what I said: if the health of the plant is at risk i.e. lack of airflow, WPM etc. that would be the exception.

Once in flower the plant/s will start to drop their primary leaves so I just remove as they yellow. That said; I’m doing a SCROG of one plant and I do strip the bottom third of the plant once it’s deep into the screen. A lot of growers will do this on G.P. with more upright plants and I’ve been guilty of it too. If you don’t use larfy flower, that would be good to do. You’ll have to do it a couple of times: just pinch the new growth as it appears.

A lot of growers have tried different training techniques and I’ve seen some marvels. IMO if you grow photoperiods with adequate light in good media, simply topping the plant is all you need to do for increasing yields. I grow shorter plants and jump back and forth between a Supercropped plant or that into the SCROG. I try to yield around 12 oz. per plant grown.

Here’s my latest:

Fun and Games in Colorado - Indoor Growing / Grow Room - I Love Growing Marijuana Forum (ilgmforum.com)

5 Likes

That’s an awesome yield per plant. I’m just getting back in the “Hobby Of Fun”. I’ve never done a scrog or. What I guess y’all call it. I use to lollipop and once in while top to keep the height down.

2 Likes