Time to buy a new light

I’ve been looking at a new light for my 4x4 tent. I have 2 MarsHydro 600s that draw 265 watts each that will go in there. I want to add better lighting but can’t afford to do it all at once. I’ve been talking with @dbrn32 about quantum lighting and I’m looking for some feedback. Growers lights has this in stock.

Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt XL Quantum Board LED Kit V2

Am I on the right track with this? Right now it’s only available in 3000k. Is that ok for veg and flower or should I wait for the 3500k to come back in stock? It also gives the option for V1 or V2 boards. What’s the difference?

I want good lighting but, like everyone, I have a budget and this is just a hobby for me.

2 Likes

That’s the exact light I would get. Eventually you’d like 2 of them, but we all have a budget to follow. 3000k plenty good seed to harvest.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick response. My plan is to get another one later on. The V2 is $25 more than the V1, what’s the difference @dbrn32

2 Likes

Version 2 uses lm301b diodes, Samsung’s latest and greatest. It’s around 6% more light for same amount of power of version 1 boards using 561c diodes.

5 Likes

@dbrn32 Thanks. V2 it is. It’s official, I’m drinking the Quantum koolaid! :cup_with_straw:

7 Likes

Do you think these QBS are better than a black dog led? Because next tax season I’m going to buy a sweet light too.

1 Like

Nice! You won’t regret it.

2 Likes

Nice looking lights. At some point I’ll be upgrading. But for now my diy bridgelux and amazon blurples are still blazing away.

4 Likes

@Noctis420
The Black Dogs do look sweet but they are definitely out of my price range.

1 Like

Yeah they are quite expensive but I won’t even try building my own light haha @SilentHippie

1 Like

@Drinkslinger
I’ll have my blurple Mars lights in there too. Mine are doing great in my 32"x32" but will fall a little short in a 4’x4’.

2 Likes

I recently spent $280 on the Mars hydro 720w reflector. I really like it but it’s so big I can’t fit any other lights in there unless I bought another. I run a 3x3 so I want one really nice light. It draws about 315 watts I’m down on the square ft and I keep seeing the qbs.

2 Likes

@Noctis420
I was hesitant at first too but after reading other’s experiences and watching a ton of videos, I’ve determined it’s the most cost effective way for me to go. I’m too scared to source the parts individually so I’m going with a kit that has it all.

2 Likes

Third party integrated sphere testing shows black dog about equal to hid in par per watt. About the same neighborhood as viparspectra, mars, meizhi, advanced.

3 Likes

Two quantum boards, something like xw 260 kit is the way to go.

2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for that, sadly im out of likes! Maybe if I can get it pre assembled I’ll go that route as well. :thinking: Could you tag me when you build this light @SilentHippie

2 Likes

@Noctis420 you bet. I may even do a thread on the assembly. BTW, Growers lights will preassemble and test the light for $35.

3 Likes

That’s not bad then perhaps I just saved thousands of dollars haha. Well I’ve got a lot of time to think about it until then, blurple! Haha

2 Likes

Yup growers lights does alright with that assembly charge. But there’s a lot of people that would never get them otherwise. If you get the point that assembly fee is the difference, I’m sure we can walk you through assembly.

2 Likes

Its actually extremely easy to assemble. Maybe 18 screws max, I only used 6 on each board to hold them, then 2 for the driver, and 3 pieces of wire for the boards. And the AC cable may come pre assembled or not. I cant remember with growers light. In all it’s probably a 15-20 min max process… You could pay shipping for the assembly cost.

5 Likes