Spider mites...my battle plan

8 Likes

Ummm, @Ning did you see this? You are famous!

Let’s talk TM and circle R,…

2 Likes

@Skydiver hi mate nice to meet you, you mentioned soil, where was it from.?, i wondered if you could source the critters nest maybe outside,or how they got in? or move tent to another location away from gardens or other plants that attract all sort of bugs.i think a medium check and reset like you have will help hopefully.

That video was cool af. Thanks

5 Likes

Man, I didn’t watch it until you commented.

Way cool!

3 Likes

Lol! @AAA, hen I’m famous, you’ll be my agent!
@Skydiver, my hot damn bug killer will fry those aphids on contact, mites too. Too late to try to save you some $ now.

2 Likes

Good to meet you too and welcome to the discussion.
Thanks for the ideas
The plants that I noticed the mites first on were up potted 30 days ago and the soil bottom is Kind and the rest was roots organic original and Whitney farms with some dry additives/nutes
This tent is in my basement
I often walk around barefoot and not willing to remove my feet before entering the tent lol
Think if they were part of soil they would have been way farther ahead but could be
There isn’t a central nest to the spider mites they lay eggs all over so the plants would still be infected even with new soil.
Changing soils in all of them really isn’t an option for me
I’ll get them
I just need to be a little more diligent in washing off and clothes after being outside in the garden/yard
Or maybe always wear shoes …Naw

1 Like

Hey @Ning thanks again for the recipe and I’ll use the Azamax as a another prong in the attack (they hit me first - MOM!
And preventative so it will be good to have around.

Isn’t that video awesome! I like the look of the Larvae almost better than the adults

You should market that shit!
Isolate and infest a plant and treat it with Ning-Icide with a time lapse video like above. Unless of course it looses it’s potency if bottled up?

I find the ‘organic’ potting soil is the source of some weird bugs and weeds. I don’t think the composted it enough to kill all eggs. Normally composting with proper ingredients will raise temp enough to kill them. I potted some seedlings and kept it in the kitchen back in late winter. Man! I got gnats, small flies and whatnots! Real nasty! I kept them outside and they still hatched out some gnats until the sun got hot enough or they all hatched. So check your potting medium. I don’t think you tracked the bugs in that much unless you just messed with their nest outdoor. The adults are so small, I think the eggs are invisible.

Spray my juice 2-3 times/week would bring them down and keep killing the emerging adults.

1 Like

Step one making Ning-Icide
Take a picture
The peppers I bought were Serrano not sure maybe 2-3 per mix? Pretty hot on the scovale ? Scale

1 Like

Next time if you can get habanero or hot Thai chili peppers, go for it! Serrano is respectable and pungent enough. So should be effective. I usually slice Serrano to fill a jar and pour White vinegar over it. It’s great condiment to noodle dishes. Never use them to kill bugs so can’t vouch for that.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up
That’s all they had at that store.
I’ll run to another and see what they have as haven’t made it yet

1 Like

You are 100% correct on being disciplined when going from outside to your grow. A breeze can land one on your person, and at their reproductive rate it’s a War. You shall succeed!!!

2 Likes

Make it, by no mean! It will be effective anyway. Garlic is really good deterrent. The bugs heats them. I even spray it on my ripening plums and they don’t get chewed on by squirrel like they used to. You can get more and repeat it another day.

1 Like

I think I will try them as you had also mentioned using jalapenoes and the Serrano are higher on the chart…

As you said I can always buy others and mic up again

@Skydiver, to clarify almost all living organisms rely on some type of gas to supply their Anatomy to live, so flooding Nitrogen to your infestation would make your plants happy, but suffocate them to death when deprived of their need of air quality. You nailed it 100% to be hypervigilent when going to your grow from outside. Good luck, but you are going to be fine. Looking forward to seeing your end results. Have a good Afternoon

2 Likes

Yes, but you look at the numbers, habanero has 100x more capsaicin than Serrano or jalapeño. More bangs for the bucks (bugs). Yes, jalapeño or Serrano is hot enough for chili-wimps to eat. It’s more satisfying to see the scumbugs nuked to death instantly as soon as the spray hit it. Try it and you’ll be hooked to slaughtering them.

On top of the chart Bhut Jolokia is the ‘ghost pepper’ @AAA was talking about spraying it into his eyeballs.

@Floridabud, bugs are aerobic creature that will die when you deprive them of O2 supply by replacing it with any other gas like N2, CO2, or even ethylene (that some people use to force ripening if green-picked fruits). It’s doable if you grow indoor or confine the airflow to whatever you pump in. However, I find it cost more money and labor. If you use N2, or dry ice for CO2, the temperature could drop when you put it in and might stress the plants. Oh, your plants won’t like to breath nitrogen gas. It may like it in soluble form in the soil. It will take CO2 well though. However, I still think it fluctuate the temp and I don’t k ow enough to say if it will effect the plants or not. So can only tell the my beans stalks will not like that kind of treatment.

Plus I prefer outdoor growing. Chili pepper and garlic cost a few dollars to buy and make enough for a few weeks. Not trying to say which is better.

1 Like

Found some Habanero :blush:
I’m in

1 Like

Yay! Hope you have a good slaughter day.

Good morning all
Well I opened my slaughterhouse last night! Hope the USDA doesn’t raid me for having an unlicensed operation because it was a slaughter.
Mixed up 2 batches (2 quarts total) of Ning-Icide dam hot pepper mix and short of dunking the entire pot and all sprayed the hell out of all the ladies and pots and top soil and this morning I’m not seeing any mites crawling up the tie downs! Ok just a few lol.
So far of the previous treatment options I’ve tried above to date this seems to have been the most effective one! Thank you so much @Ning for the recipe!
This buds for you lol

I wonder if after harvesting the Jack if it will have a hot flavor? Would be interesting to see.
Habanero peppers $2
Garlic cloves $1
Bonner’s soap 20c
Water 1c
The look on the mites faces…Priceless

After closely looking at the green coated wire tie downs and the plants for 5 minutes or so I do see a few really small ones crawling up them but figure those are newly hatched ones that didn’t have an opportunity to die yet. Will apply another round in 2 days again and another soon after that to break their cycle.
I wonder how well my worms in the worm farm will take to the left overs from the mix?
Will update in the next few days as to sightings of them.

I want to again thank everyone for their input on spider mite eradication methods and support! Glad I went through (going through) this issue moving forward.

Will be applying this and also will use some Azamax too when it arrives next week to keep hitting any remnants still hatching because well I will have it to use

7 Likes