Seedling's leaves are turning yellow

From a fellow grower:using expanding seed starter cubes. They grow there first 2 or 3 leaves nicely then the lower leaves s start turning yellow and plant seems to stop growing and continue to yellow. Yellowing seem to start after transplanting cube into all natural potting soil in small biodegradable seed starter pots. I have cut back on watering to see if that helps. I use a Spider Farm G 300 LED light system hanging about 18 inch’s above plants at 40 percent power as recommended by owners manual.

2 Likes

The yellowing leaves are the plants cotyledons. Their purpose is to provide the plant with nutrients while the plant is young and has no root system. The plant is establishing a root system now and the cotyledons are no longer needed. It is normal for them to yellow and fall off at this point.

Cotyledons will get yellow and eventually die off completely.I would say over watering (looking at ends of real leaves). At that age, I literally water 2 Tablespoons in a circle just outside the tip of the longest leaf… I call it the ‘drip zone’. Keep the water away from the stem… it will keep her feet from getting wet and make her stretch her roots out to find the water. It wouldn’t hurt to sprinkle a little Mykos, Recharge, or Great White. On the soil as well to help with the roots.

Agree with over watering, be very careful not to over water.