Scrogging help please

I’m going to start scrogging two Purple Haze plants in my tent. I’m going to build my own scrog but I’m curious on the height I should build it above the top of my 5 gallon grow bags. Also when I’m scrogging and training my plants under the net. How do I know when to let them grow up through and how do I know when they do grow up through that that will be a bud site

4 Likes

@Low @merlin44 would be my 2 go to Grow Bros for a Scrog run :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Thanks for the tag @OGIncognito.
I mostly grow in 10 gallon fabric containers with each sitting on a wheeled base which supports the plant and the SCROG frame for each plant.

Each plant can be moved and turned independently.

The netting is positioned 12 - 16 inches from the top of the soil. I use LST rather than topping.

I veg them until they are 60 days or so from emerging from the soil. Usually, the SCROG nets go on about a week before flipping.

I hope this is helpful, @Greenegreens.

6 Likes

Thank you for the info. I do have another question though. When do I start letting them grow up through the squares and how do I know that will be a bud site

2 Likes

Knowing when to stop tucking under the net is going to take some experimentation. There is no “right” answer to that. For me, I tuck until the frame/net is about 70% or 80% full. At that point I stop tucking and flip to flowering light schedule.

I remove all new growth/shoots below the frame. Unlike most others, I don’t remove the lower leaves.

At this point I don’t worry about “bud sites”. When I do it correctly, all of the buds are above the netting.

Here is a shot taken about 12 - 15 days after the netting was put in place and two days after flipping:

Same grow as previous photo.

7 Likes

Thank you

3 Likes

Here is the same grow shortly before chopping about two months later:

This was about five years ago. I have since scaled down to only growing four plants per grow.

10 Likes

This why I tagged the ole Wizard, I get all fired up when I see this :muscle::muscle::love_you_gesture:

7 Likes

You are a riot, OG. :joy:

7 Likes

Do I need to weave them through the squares when I switch to flower or will they do it yourself.

3 Likes

They will grow upwards all by themselves unless you keep tucking them.

Edit: This process is amazing to watch unfold (at least it always has been for me).

8 Likes

@Greenegreens while I think that I am fairly good at training my plants to the SCROG and getting good yields, I did take me several grows to learn how to do it well.

Enjoy the process of learning and be patient.

3 Likes

Awesome posts here.

I like to fill 100% than flip. I use 1 net to spread and 1 to support.

Sec cam pic from just now

This grow had a light timer malfunction so it went 2 additional weeks… thought it was transition. Haha so they are much taller than I planned for :joy:

3 Likes

This a great example of what I meant when I said that there is not a specific “right” answer when it comes to training/growing using a SCROG.

@low and I get similar results with slightly different approaches. @Greenegreens.

3 Likes

Absolutely!

Edit
@Greenegreens

Don’t weave around the net. Over/under tangles the branches with the net and on harvest it makes things a little harder then they have to be.

2 Likes

@low makes an important point…tuck the new growth, don’t weave over and under or anything like that.

This will all make more sense to you when you start doing it yourself. It is not difficult or complicated, it just takes a tiny bit of experience.

3 Likes

@Low @merlin44 you guys rock the SCROG :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Thank you, OG. You are very kind, indeed.

3 Likes

What he said :point_up_2:t3: thank you OG!

3 Likes

@merlin44
Damn, I really like the way you made those platforms for the plant. Genius if you ask me.

4 Likes