Non-buffered coco seem to work better? 🤔

Hi all :slightly_smiling_face: , first time posting here. For my autos I use coco + compost + worm castings + perlite. I got my coco from Amazon, it’s called coco compost, comes in bricks. Before mixing my substrate I followed the instructions and did calmag buffering. I use same mix throughout the house for veges and flowers (various tomatoes and chillies). On couple of occasions I forgot to buffer the coco. It seems the plants without buffered medium are doing better than the ones with calmag buffered coco. I see vigorous new growth on the tomatoes transferred to non-buffered coco, while the various plants in buffered coco seem to be struggling, lagging.
Is it possible the calmag buffering is doing harm? :thinking:
J.

2 Likes

What I’m guessing going on is your mix resembles a soil mix with organic matter, rather than the hydroponic/high frequency fertigation coco is often used for. I bet your other methods and parameters are also more like soil… pH, watering methods nute availability etc

1 Like

Yes precisely, I aim for soil-like cultivation. The coco is more of a bulk filler in addition to compost and warm castings. I use coco because it works out cheaper due to the amount of plants I grow. However, seems the plants (various plants, not only ca af but also), like the non-buffered mix better.

1 Like

I think I do non-buffered mix, uniform for tomatoes chillies and ca af next time.

Ok makes sense then cuz coxo buffered would release and bond compounds at different pH.
Fox Farms coco loco, sunshine mix 4, Gaia Green living soil blend, and ProMix Moisture all agree on coco for conditioning soil mixes there are probably more

1 Like