Need a second opinion

Hey everybody been a while since I’ve visited. For the last year or so I’ve been running autoflowers in a 50/50 coco perlite mix with good to great results. Some exceeding breeders specs. I know there’s no one recipe for all autos . I get mixed info on nutrient strength. Im running cultivation nation. Some say go 1/4 to 1/2 nutrient strength. Some sa up to 1.8 ec which doesn’t match up. Looking for a second opinion.

2 Likes

Also. I run a diy autodrip. Sometimes fan leaves tend to go to a light green to yellowish color around mid flower?

Is your coco buffered with calmag before using?

Not buffered but they get cal mag from day 1 in the fabric pots

Hi I don’t know your nute stuff or coco just wondering tbh for me learning… your 50/50 mix curious is it different draining than 70/30 or did you do both, do you figure it performed best… sounds like you did well with it. Think it’d work hand watering or too frequent. Thanks for sharing

50/ 50 drains much better in my opinion. I also add about about 1.5 inches of hydraton at the bottom of the pots the roots love it the grow out the pots. During veg they feed 3-4 times a day usually 6 times a day during flower

1 Like

I use 2 gallon fabric pots

1 Like

Its best to buffer the coco in Calmag before using as the coco will consume the Calcium you feed in before the plants get a chance to. Some coco suppliers sell pre-buffered coco like Canna coco, but even so, I still rinse then buffer in case…
Perhaps try with your next run and see whether the results improve. Keep growing!

Ok I copy and pasted this below for a more detailed explanation than my version lol.

There are cation exchange sites in coco that will interfere with nutrition until they are buffered. The cation exchange sites in coco naturally come loaded with sodium (Na) and potassium (K) cations. However, the Na and the K are only weakly held to the exchange sites. In the presence of calcium (Ca) or magnesium (Mg), the sites will release their Na or K cations and lock onto the Ca or Mg. These processes are known as “cation exchanges”.

Buffering coco is accomplished by soaking it in Ca and Mg. This allows the cation exchanges to take place prior to adding plants. Simply soak your coco in a solution of Cal/Mag water and the exchange sites will release their K and Na cations and lock onto the Ca and Mg. When the cation exchange sites bond with Ca and Mg rather than Na and K, it is “buffered”. The bonds that hold the Ca and Mg to the sites are very strong and cation exchange will largely stop. This means that all of the nutrients that you add to the water will be available to the plant at the ratios that you provide them.

1 Like

Thanks great info.