Lung room ideas

Alright folks. I gotta do something better with controlling temps in my flower room. Im already running lights at night, but theres a transition period that happens and im usually passed out asleep when it does. So… i want to turn one of my 4x8 rooms into a lung room. I want to put the portable ac in there along with a fresh air intake that will help at night to keep the cost of the ac usage down until the nighttime lows get into the 70s… what im thinking is putting a 10 or 12 inch vent fan from the lung room into the flower room that i can control with my 69 pro. What are your thoughts on this? My flower room is 12x8 with 3 HLGs that love to put off heat :rofl::rofl:.

The big picture: im eventually going to convert my veg room into a cloning and seedling room. Im going to cut my flowering plants from 6 to 3 and grow in 50 to 100 gal raised flower fabric pots so i can concentrate more on training a large area. Ill throw little project pots in there from time to time, but its really hard with my work schedule to maintain 6 in flower and 5 to 6 in veg at the same time. Im hoping with the ones i have in flower and veg now will hold me over until i can get the ball rolling on this next project.

2 Likes

You will want a dual hose unit.
Single hose units have a major design flaw which in small rooms is a killer.

5 Likes

Dual hose as in? I have a dedicated fresh air intake already, ill just move that to the lung room for fresh air and then push the cool air into the flower room. That way i can turn the ac unit completely off.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Crap. I just laid down 500 bucks for the one i have now.

3 Likes

Here is a great explanation

5 Likes

If the cool air is directed at the plants it should work fine. But in the long run you are going to spend more on a single hose utility cost. The air to replace the exhausted air has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is outside the house.

2 Likes

@ChittyChittyBangin, did you vent that AC unit through the floor, or is it just sitting there now because you don’t have it set up currently?
The reason I ask is because I learned that lesson the hard way several years ago when I vented one just like that through my floor.

1 Like

@Cap_Ron its vented through the floor. My shop is elevated and fresh air runs underneath and its vented. Its living in the south and trying to control the heat from the lights… those suckers bake… i already have an 8 in exhaust right above everything, but it doesnt pull quick enough.

3 Likes

Ok, here’s the problem I ran into. I vented it through my floor to the outside space underneath my trailer. The first hot day I started to have trouble keeping the temps down, and then the portable AC shut down. I read the error code, and it was overheating. I checked the manual carefully and found that it stated clearly in there that it could not be vented down. I called tech support and they explained that the exhaust in the unit relied on the fact that heat rises, and it needs to be vented at a height higher than the output point on the unit. The fan in mine wasn’t strong enough to push exhaust heat downwards. I didn’t want to redo the whole thing, so I tried adding a 6" booster fan in line with the exhaust. That helped, and kept the unit from overheating, but it also kept pulling the cool air out of the room when the temp got satisfied and the compressor kicked off.

Anyway, I struggled throuh a few more attempted fixes, and finally I gave up on the portable unit all together. I went further in debt and put an 18,000 BTU mini split in a couple of years ago, and everything has been fine since.

I really hope your unit has better exhaust components in it than mine did, and you don’t have to go through as much grief.

5 Likes

@Cap_Ron yea i sat there amd stared at mini splits for a long time. I might still pull the trigger if this doesnt work out. Im getting into week 6 of flower and im worried that keeping the door open wont contain the stank of the dank :rofl::rofl: i can always vent it to an outside wall, its just sorta loud and i try to remain as inconspicuous as possible…

2 Likes

I hear you for sure on the stank. My filters are starting to let some of the smell through. It’s a big expense to replace all 3, but being in a trailer, my neighbors are close so I have to do it soon before it gets worse.

Now I’m a bit curious about the portable unit, and if mine was just a crappy model. Any chance you have the manual from yours? I’m wondering if they all come with a warning not to vent down. Mine had a drawing of it going through the floor, with a red circle and diagonal red line through it, lol.

1 Like

@Cap_Ron mayyyyyyybeeeee??

3 Likes

I’d say it’s definitely a good sign that yours doesn’t have the warning. Thank you for the pic.

1 Like

Good morning Brother, what are you using for your lung room now? I’ve been pretty lucky keeping my garage around 72 and using inline duct booster fans to pull the lung room air into each individual tents :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Have you already extended the driver wires and renovated them outside of the grow space? 3 drivers put off some warm

4 Likes

@OGIncognito i really dont have one. Ive been just opening doors to release heat at night. Last night the low got down in the 60s and didnt get above 81 in the flower room. Im just trying to figure out a way to be more efficient.

2 Likes

@Underthestairs i dont know if they make extender kits for the drivers, id have to pull the wire at least 10 feet to get outside the room. Ive thought about this, but it seems like the drivers arent putting out that much heat, but the lights themselves

1 Like

Also im trying to quit having major temp swings. Ill drop 10° in an hour if im not careful with the ac

2 Likes

I’ll take those temps Brother, kind of resembles natural outdoor temp changes from sun up to sun down. Is your grow area a room in the house? My last garage was a choir keeping the temps cool in the summer and warm in the winters. :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes