Lung room ideas

@OGIncognito no, its in a 20 x 40 metal shop. Metal roof, metal walls, ect… ive gone in and built 3 room in it. 12x8 , and 2 4x8s.

2 Likes

Gotcha, I ended up insulating and drywalling my garage…and then moved :weary::weary::joy::joy::love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Yea, ive got the walls and ceiling insulated with sheetrock and polyboard… the ceiling have r30 insulation and the walls have r19

3 Likes

Hell yeah, that’ll work. The environmental conditions are my biggest challenge and this will be my 3rd set up from scratch in a less than desirable spot to grow in. My new spot isn’t insulated but has drywall so I’ll have to do some dry run testing :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Troo that. This is a constant work in progress. Ive been beating my head since the end of last summer to try to figure out what to do. If i wasnt close to neighbors i wouldnt worry about it, but i think this grow around is going to be the top stanky dank so far in this space, its already funky skunky in there :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I struggled mightily for a few years. Sometimes it was keeping temps up, sometimes down, and the same with humidity. Between changing seasons and different grow phases it can definitely scramble brains.

One thing I think is the most important is to give ourselves as many options as possible. My closet grow has an 8" AC Infinity fan. I have the option of venting it back into my lung room, or I can slip the soft duct onto a vent I installed that dumps into my living room. In nicer weather times, I dump it into the living room and that draws fresh air back into the lung room. In hot weather I keep it circulating from the closet to the lung room and back and have the mini split running.

My 2 1/2 x 5 tent has a 6" AC Infinity fan that can also circulate through the lung room when conditions are good, or I can hook it up to a vent into my attic and out the ridge vent. It really helps to have the options, and sometimes I switch things around every morning and night.

This is my 2 1/2 x 5 when it’s venting into my attic.

This is when it’s recirculating in the lung room.

This is my closet grow venting out into my living room.

And when I have it recirculating in the lung room I aim it at the top of the mini split where it’s intake air is.

Just basic slip on/slip off soft duct. Takes me a few seconds to make the switch. My 2 x 4 is the only one that constantly recirculates in the lung room, but I might add another vent up into the attic or out into the living room for that one as well. Again, the more options we have, the easier it is to handle any kind of swings.

3 Likes

What did the mini split run you? I honestly think i can do the lung room thing. I just need to run my venting differently. When i convert the veg room into a clone room, im not gonna worry about temps in there as long as its not 100 plus. I think i can step back and punt and really rethink how i need to do this. My wofe hasnt bitched yet about the electricity bill, but i have a feeling im reaching my limit lol

I got the do it yourself model that comes fully charged with refrigerant and quick connect line sets. It was $1,200.00 for the 18,000BTU which is definitely oversized for my room but I think it’s better to go over than under.

I got it from HVAC direct dot com. It was pretty painless. Ordered online, and the truck dropped the pallet on my driveway a few days later. The only downside to the do it yourself models is that you have to keep any extra lineset rolled up. I got the 50’ lineset. That was a mistake because 25’ would have been plenty, but I was nervous so now I have this big coil of extra lineset taking up space.

The non do it yourself ones are a few hundred dollars cheaper, but then you need an HVAC tech to do the freon.

You can put the outside unit on a pad on the ground or hang it. The guy who cuts the grass where I live asked me to please keep it off the ground, so I got the wall brackets. The entire install took me less than a full day, indoor and outdoor parts.

3 Likes

Thats not as bad as i thought. How does it do on the wallet? And is that 110 or 220?

1 Like

It’s 220, but only 20amp. It’s tough for me to know it’s operating costs because I have so much other electric usage going on at the same time, but it seems to be more efficient than my central air. It’s so oversized for my grow room that when I have it running my entire trailer cools down even though it’s in my spare bedroom on one far end.

Another huge upside to it that I’ve forgotten to mention is the heat pump. I used it a good amount this last winter. When I bought it the model without the heat pump was out of stock. Now I’m glad, because it came in really handy.

1 Like

@Cap_Ron im not too worried about a heat pump. I use a radiator oil filled heater i just set and leave it for the winter. Did really good this last winter and even had a spell with some negative digits. The only thing i do need to is line the top of the roof with some double bubble so i can control the condensation. Last winter i would walk in and it would be raining in the main part of the shop :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lol, yeah I’ve seen some places over the years where condensation can get extreme!

So you might be able to find an AC only unit for less money. Mine also has a dehumidifier mode, but it makes it even colder than using the AC mode, so I usually just keep it on AC.

Same here.
My problem, the south facing two windows in the garage have no sun protection.
Sunlight heats garage/lug room and Vipar Spectra’s fry the tents…

No shade trees on south side. extra car parking, only

1 Like

@DEEPDIVERDAVE i have plenty of shade trees covering the area, its just what sun that does get through heats the whole damn thing like an oven…

@Cap_Ron here is what i am working with…

2 Likes

@ChittyChittyBangin, with all that space to work with would it be easier for you to forgo the lung room and make your grow space a sealed environment?

I’ve considered getting rid of my 2 tents and closet grow to just convert the entire spare bedroom into a big grow room, but I’ve never pulled the trigger on it. With the mini split I’d be able to seal off the room and add carbon dioxide, but for now I’m keeping it as it is.

For you, a mini split might be able to eliminate a lot of the equipment you have currently set up and keep your room exactly how you want it. I’m jealous of the space you have to work with, lol.

Hi!!! Just made a post. Maybe you can help me out!!

1 Like

Whatcha got Grow Bro :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Made a thread about my new grow. Starting over. Not sure how to link the thread. Hope you are doing well. Time to get some seeds in the soil.

Formerbrew

1m

Made a thread about my new grow. Starting over. Not sure how to link the thread. Hope you are doing well. Time to get some seeds in the soil.

1 Like