Help choosing a led light for a 4x4 tent

Another new guy here,for indoor growing in a 4x4 tent would a G8 450 led light with a power draw of 270 watts work for raising 2 girls in the 4x4 tent or should I just try 1 girl. I plan on using a scrog set up,I welcome any suggestion on type of led lighting the G8-450 is just one I use but still deciding

@dbrn32 help a guy out?

2 Likes

Dbrn32 seems to be the light expert here I’m sure he will be here shortly to help. Welcome to the forums btw.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome it seems like a very informative place to gain some knowledge and support.

You should size light by area not necessarily by plant count. Problem is with height, reflection, coverage and variables like that. I’m sure you can grow a plant or two fine, how big of plants would be more of the question. And what kind of yields you expected.

2 Likes

I’m going to have about 7’6” for hight but I’m planning to set up a scrog.im going to get fem seed and I’m not interested in reeling in huge weight when I harvest,I’m only interested in keeping myself supplied at around 1/4-1/2 (z) per month.do you think the above light will handle this.

Being honest, I wouldn’t pay $300 for that light let alone double

1 Like

Thanks for your honesty,I haven’t bought any light yet but it sounds like I may erase that one off my list.Is it simply over priced or a poor performer or both.I have read a few posts where it’s said building your own led set up is a good idea but I’m not sure about my knowledge on that one.would you Mind giving me your recommend leds for A 4x4 area hight no issue!

1 Like

The people here really like quantum boards kinda pricey and you can get the diy to save some $$ but the people here stand behind them really easy to assemble

1 Like

I’m glad you didn’t buy it! Check these out

That would require you to assemble it. You can purchase assembled from growerslights for additional fee

1 Like

Ok thanks for your help and time (the 2 of you) looks like I’m of to do some research now,great first time experience on the forum thankyou

1 Like

Your welcome any time I can help someone not make the same mistake I did just a month ago I feel a little better lol. I bought some cheap chinese LED lights but I didnt really have like $1k to drop in light’s

1 Like

That’s what I am trying to avoid,I am using my vacation money this yr. on this project but I want to do everything right the first time so it may be a few yrs. before I get a vacation

2 Likes

If you’re looking to get started for a little less, grab a 260xl kit now and then you can grab another later after a couple grows or whatever.

1 Like

Damn. That’s a nice price.

1 Like

@dbrn32 Tell me how you feel about the r spec stuff vs the plc strips? I know the plc strips have a slight efficacy advantage, but other than that?

1 Like

Its pretty much the same stuff. Difference in efficacy is more about what the final current of diodes is in each configuration. I think the strips are more apt for those who like to customize and tinker.

A 288v2 board will run 2.85 at 1050ma, which is probably identical to where a photoboost strip would run at same current. At that point you have something like 50 watt board that costs $70. Or a 27 watt strip that costs $28.

Sure there’s other stuff involved, but the actual performance of the components not all that different.

1 Like

I just built my own light. It literally took about 30-45 minutes. Super easy. And well worth it in results. Mine was a little smaller than your will be but it wouldn’t be much more work.

2 Likes

Your best bang for your buck is the 1000w replacement by sunraise. It is extremely powerful has three modes Veg with blue and white Bloom red lights and veg/bloom for a full spectrum. This light has A 3 YEAR WARRANTY!!! and sells on amazon for the amazing price of 120 bucks! and is voted best led light of 2019 on a budget. The par value is great stays very cool I s amazed at how well the light works I will post the link to amazon so you can check it yourself SunRaise 1000W LED Grow light

I had the same problem when I started. I went with an optic 6 gen3. So far so good. Its optimal for vegging and flowering in a 4x4 tent.