The best led lights?

Can someone tell me more about the Optic 1 cree cob or give me other led light recommendations for a 4×4 grow

2 Likes

Hehe. Hope ur ready to go down the rabbit hole… @dbrn32 he is all yours :smiling_imp::joy::smiling_imp::joy:

6 Likes

There are much better options available which are better suited to growing that would be way less expensive. To properly illuminate a 4 X 4 you will need 600 to 800 PLUG watts of LED. So 6 to 8 of them.

3 Likes

I think he pointed me to a 288w qb that would nearly get you in the right direction. Two of said board would definitely have your tent looking sunny. Ill look for a link

1 Like

So for $175 or so you can get a single Cree CXB3590 running at 54 watts.

Or you could buy the CXB3590, a holder and a heatsink for $60. So you could do two of those and probably get a driver for around the same price as buying it already made.

2 Likes

I truly havent lookd at lighting like that. Hopefully more knowledgeable people will chime in. Interesting tho. Only 54 watts???

1 Like

You need to take down the link you put up: not allowed.

Really?? I thought ive seen it posted alot

Checkout timber grow lights, pacific light concepts, or hlg for 4x4 solutions. One of those or a diy project replicating them would be your best bet.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone, I was thinking since its an led it’ll produce more watts and just use 54. I’ll look into the lights you’ve recommended

I was thinking it probably worked good I seen someone on ig with a healthy plant grown under one

Lights don’t produce watts, they consume watts. What you should be concerned about is the efficiency, or how much light you’re getting per watt consumed. Just because something is an led doesn’t really mean squat. There are several hid and even fluorescent lights that are more efficient than some budget leds.

2 Likes

Try checking out copperhead led grow light’s the plant store by me swears by them he has a big one growing 12 red oak trees in the store. /

These are made here locally

1 Like

The best LED lights put out 160 to 200 lumens per watt. The usual Amazon grow lights don’t come close. That translates directly into how high your electric bill will be for the next 10 years and beyond. If you want to build some DIY, @dbrn32 can steer you to great COBs, strips, or boards that are that good. The wiring is pretty simple, but you do need to be able to cut aluminum or steel frames, drill holes, etc.

Other than DIY, Horticulture Lighting Group or Rapid LED have some top performers that come assembled or in simple pre-drilled kits.

3 Likes

Hey purps man got a question for ya, i bought a reptile heat lamp and ive attached it to my main set up,do you think that it will be to hot for the seedlings?

Im not sure on reptile lights. Hace heard a few work. But need specs

What’s wrong with the Mars hydro 2 or reflector 68??? Heard some good things about these lamps??

1 Like

It’s like @dbrn32 said: they’ll grow cannabis and do a good job of it as long as you have enough light. The calculus used is between 35 and 50 PLUG watts per square foot. So if you have a 4 X 4 tent you are looking at 600 to 800 watts of power consumed to achieve any decent yields.

The lights like the Mars or Viparspectra et al run around 75 lumens per watt. The stuff a lot of us have now are in the 150 + lumens per watt and in a more usable spectrum than those listed brands. As stated; your electric bill ends up being a large hidden cost. The first month I used my new lights I saw a reduction of $60 in my monthly light bill.

The downside is they aren’t cheap. They are PARTICULARLY expensive when you end up replacing the above lights with something decent.

3 Likes

2x4 ft grow closed,1x1000w led light and x1 100w reptile/chicken heatlamp.How do i get my seedlings to grow

First look at the ad copy or the light instruction to see what the wall current draw is. Your “1000 watt LED” is almost surely much less. Then figure out 50 watts per square foot, to see if it’s enough. For example, an 8 square foot tent would require 400 watts.

I think you’ll get plenty of heat out of the LED. You won’t need to turn the heat lamp on. It’s more often a problem to remove heat than to add it.