To Flush or not to Flush

Dumme, Thanks so much for this post; this has been extremely enlightening for me. I thoroughly subscribe to the idea of finding what the minimum nutrient needs of each plant are, thus feeding the plant correctly and saving money! I also have to throw this in: I absolutely LOVE the praying mantis egg sac video on YouTube: watching a miracle unfold!!!

1 Like

So you reckon I can get away without a flush? Would be very fudging relived!

Great article!!!

Here is a string from Dumme earlier which made me a believer. I don’t flush and cure for months.

3 Likes

swik will be trying this in coco atm. flushing and not flushing with clones same strain. feeding low ppm during harvest window,up until 3 days before harvest (300-450 ) and 7-10 days of ph’d water only 5.8-6.0 ph
smoke results after 7-10 days drying, week 1 jarred, wk2,wk 3. :slight_smile: great topic was just looking at this information too. swik wishes they had their own lab for testing and results other than smoke reports. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just harvested my first grow a few weeks ago (from RDWC) . Due to time constraints I did not flush. I fed my normal 50% AN nutes right up to chopping time.
The buds right off the plant were harsh as hell. After drying they were a bit better, not so harsh and some flavor started coming through (ILGM Jack Herer auto).
After a couple weeks of curing the smoke is absolutely wonderful. It’s nice and smooth and full of flavor and gets me baked as hell!
I’ll use my AN Flawless Finish next time since I already have it in my arsenal and am curious to see if there’s any difference at all. I suspect I’ve wasted my money though.

3 Likes

@Jbum great info , here you go buddy

1 Like

Great info. Makes sense because soil “always having nutes” seem to be very flavorful and smooth.

Its has some good points, great info, leaves u thinking@jbum

A post was split to a new topic: New member of our community!

I appreciate the insight and will double up with this study I found

4 Likes

Can o worms

12 Likes

Sounds delicious. Man do I miss reasonably priced tobacco and a young man’s lungs.

That flushing trial basically debunks myths that most non-flushers have been pushing over the years, like there will be less weight, thc, or terps. The study showed there is no loss of weight, thc, or terps, so why not save the 2 weeks of nutes for the next grow as it obviously didn’t benefit any of the important things. The only positive they could come up with for not flushing was that some testers thought the non-flushed buds tasted a little better, not impressed.

I’ll go with water only for last 2 weeks.

2 Likes

It would be good to see on for coco as I am sure that is for soil. After a few days of just water in coco. You can be down to almost nothing ppm wise. So basically starving your plants at the end. Just what my brain is telling me. Doesn’t make it so. I would think soil would hang on to things longer and I am just guessing a flush for it would be like watering the plant. Every few days? @Hellraiser you have done soil for a long time. Does this sound correct in thinking?

1 Like

Yes, one would think that soil will hold nutes longer than coco but in practice there seemed to be little difference. I’ve done the 2 week water only before harvest in coco on a couple grows now (Zkittlez and Banana Kush) and really saw no difference than when I did it in soil.

My old online friend Remo (owner of Remo Nutrients and a monster grower), does 3 weeks water only before harvest in coco and grows absolutely huge beautiful buds, no sign of starvation.

2 Likes

I agree. Now how do you decide when you’re two weeks out?

2 Likes

Experience

I grow a lot of clones that I’m familiar with so I know exactly how long they will take.

When not growing clones I go by the trichs, when most are cloudy with some clears, I go water only, 2 weeks later the trichs will still be most cloudy but with some ambers instead of clears. May not be a perfect 2 weeks til I chop, but works out close enough.

5 Likes

Thank you sir. I’m getting close to that on one plant, but my other looks like it may take an extra week…

2 Likes

Great thread, much more informative that others I’ve read but still not conclusive. Thanks for sending me here. @Not2SureYet

As I think I tend to under-feed I’m going to just do a day or two plain water (pH yes). I was also considering letting the girls drink that water dry during that time period.

Hellraiser’s opinions, and many others, have merit here but I’m learning where they have vast experience and also my girls are not in soil.

3 Likes