Sudden death? What happened?

I am a complete novice. This is my first start at growing. I started my White Widow autoflower mid October by dropping seeds in filtered water, then once cracked open, placed in damp paper towels until tail sprouted, then put in peat pods til the sugar leaves sprouted. Filled 3 gallon fabric pots with Ocean Forest potting soil. I made a dent in the middle and placed Happy Frog in it (I read that HF was good for seedlings?) then put the sprouted peat pods in the HF. I placed them in my small grow tent with LED lights placed at manufacturer suggested placement for seedlings. Every other day or so I would give them each a sip of filtered water.
(I was afraid to use too much water, because my very first try I killed them almost immediatly with too much water.) After about 3 weeks, 1 was still on life support, but hanging in there. The other 2 were going fine, then after 2 months the tiny one was obviously dead. I removed that pot. A day or two later they look like the pictures. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I live in NV and the temp in my tent is running about 80 degrees and averaging 20-30 degrees humidity. I would be grateful for any help. I am keeping lights at recommended distance (about 30" above plants). I see other folks who get amazing plants right away and I am just perplexed!

4 Likes

Also, the leaves on the bottom of the plant that isn’t drooping are yellow. I really am using very little water. Also, I have them on a 18/6 timer.

2 Likes

Your humidity is way too low for starters I keep my humidity levels around 65-70% during seedling and early veg I’m growing WW autos also bout a week away from harvest I’m still learning too but I’ll be happy to let you know what worked for me and everyone on here are happy to help and welcome to the community!!

7 Likes

You should fill out a support ticket

3 Likes

Flash pictures without the grow light on helps us see the true color of the plant . They look thirsty to me .

3 Likes

I’d get the fan and filter up above the light and that will help with the temp.

5 Likes

You can try raising the humidity by hanging a damp towel in the tent for now , with your dry climate I would consider buying a humidifier . Are you PH testing the water before applying . 6.5 h2o is number they like in soil .

4 Likes

Shaneo420 pointed out one of the problems (low humidity). Going above 77 with low humidity and little water doesn’t fair well for your girls. Are you saying those plants in the pics are 2 months or older?

3 Likes

Give them a drink , quick .lol . Even if it’s not PHed water. 1/4 cup at least .

3 Likes

I would say too high of temp and too low of humidity.

6 Likes

Thank you! I just received a bunch of responses and everybody said the same thing… not enough humidity. I will try to raise humidity.

3 Likes

I switched to watching your grow if you don’t mind and glad to help

2 Likes

OMG thanks! And you are the FIRST person who gave me a real amount (1/4 cup) that gives me a better idea of how much. Yes, I am that clueless.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will try to raise the humidity. Someone else said to use a wet towel or get a humidifier. I appreciate the tips!

3 Likes

OK, Thanks! Next time I take a picture (if they survive… LOL) I will use flash.

1 Like

Sadly, I popped the seeds in the water to sprout mid October.

1 Like

I did not think about that! Great tip! I will try to move the filter/fan thing on top (it is a small tent, and not much room for filter up top, but I think I can get it up there). It was sold together in one big kit so it “should” work!

2 Likes

I used a spray bottle and a damp towel for a couple of months while I saved up for a humidifier. Works pretty good, just watch where its dripping. Welcome to the forum by the way!

4 Likes

This forum rocks! You guys answer right away and give awesome tips. Thanks!

3 Likes

No problem if you get them figured out and decide to start a journal feel free to tag me in it.