Seeds in Rockwool?

Need help with my seedlings. I’ve always put them in dirt once they pop, but recently I’ve lost 4 banana Kush due to white mold (looks like spider webs). Some grow and then die at about a half inch. I would like to know how to prevent this and also how to do sprouts with rockwool. What size rockwool? How to water/provide nutes?

Thanks in advance for help from the experts. @Countryboyjvd1971 @Hogmaster

I’ve never had much luck with the cubes I soak for 24 hours if they don’t have a substantial route I put them in a paper towel that wet in a baggy for 24 hours usually have a quarter inch taproot by then when I put them in soil I just barely cover them they’re a quarter inch deep then put my light 8 to 10 inches above it when they start to stretch lower your light I have several threads that you can go through from start to finish showing how I start them out @Countryboyjvd1971 does as well

1 Like

I do a 24 soak then 24 towel as well
And into dirt no cubes or peat pods
I have a 99% germination rate as well

3 Likes

This worked for me… 6 inch rockwool block, prepped with water w/ superthrive 2 cc/gal. Poke a hole in center of hole in top of the block 1 1/2 inch deep. Put seed directly in hole and push lightly to bottom, then lightly close the top of the seed hole. That is it. Blocks hold plenty of moisture thru entire germination. When they pop, cover them with a quart size clear cup and they are in their humidity dome until roots catch up. Only catch is I usually have to add stem support early on. Actually I plant seed directly in place in soil also.

1 Like

If you’re getting mold, then you’re keeping the rock wool too wet. Try drying them out a bit and only mist them with a little water twice a day.

2 Likes

Hi @Greenlantern in my grow log for my grow (my 1st, i’m still a newbie), I’d expressed some frustration at a few of my failures at germination. @latewood gave a very detailed response recommending specifically germinating in rockwool. I’m sure he could provide some more detail. Ck out his post here: 1st Grow - ILGM Super Lemon Haze - Few Newbie Questions - #8 by latewood

1 Like

Using rockwool cubes 1.5" You do not have to soak seeds because the cube is to be soaked in warm water. For 5 minutes. I give the rockwool a gentle shake being careful not to squeeze it, and allow super excess water to leave the cube. I do nothing else. Seed soaks in the cube. I never use paper towel method. Too much handling of the seed. Place it and leave it alone, I always say.

There is more to address in a couple statements but, the race is starting and it is my time off :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I’m going give it a try and will post updates. Banana Kush summer attic grow. Here we go!

1 Like

Go for it! We will be right here. Let us know :slight_smile:

@latewood @Hogmaster @chief78 @raustin @bryan @Countryboyjvd1971 Thanks again for all the advice. Rockwool worked great. Never popping seeds in dirt again.

3 Likes

Glad it worked out. Definitely going to give it next time myself.

Here’s a pic

3 Likes

Update

3 Likes

Updates. Just showing signs of flowering. @Countryboyjvd1971 @Hogmaster @peachfuzz @latewood

5 Likes

Looking great @Greenlantern

1 Like

Looks really awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971 @latewood @Hogmaster @peachfuzz @Astrocreep Ok here is an update. The banana kush is now growing over the lights. Should be done in about 3 weeks. I just switched some blackberry kush to flower. I’m happy it’s much more compact. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I am so glad to see that your grow is working out so well. Also; It is
great to see another satisfied rockwool propagator. :slight_smile:

1 Like

More updates

3 Likes

@raustin @latewood @Countryboyjvd1971 @Astrocreep @peachfuzz Here is the final result of the banana kush

3 Likes