Saved from spider mite infestation

These originally started indoors. They had a severe spider mite infestation and I saved them and eventually brought them back, now they’re thriving. I just want to say I tried about everything and in the end what really worked was predatory mites :100::100::100: so many people said I should burn them and start all over. Look how beautiful they are :heart_eyes::100::deciduous_tree::white_check_mark::metal:

5 Likes

Nice save! I may need to try some predatory bugs in my outside veggie garden.

6 Likes

Oh I highly recommend doing just that. They are great indoors and out. I have successfully turned my outdoor greenhouse into a curing station for plants with ailments. I also spread some on my grape vines and other vegetation, everything is growing great​:+1::+1::+1:

2 Likes

That is awesome!

2 Likes

I was just discussing the other day how i want to raise predatory mites and ladybugs. Ive been fighting them (Spider Mites) for nearly a year. Finally emptied out my flower room. I am neeming the veg plants. I tried CD3 , Growers Ally Spider Mite treatment, OrganiShield, JDB, and nothing could completely get them under control in the flower room. They spread to my veg room so i decided to Neem. I cut down the number of plants i have also. You know me, always going the distance, but it made controlling everything nearly impossible. Im starting over in the flower room in a few months. Give everything time to die out and i can really get in there and clean and disinfect. I have Ciantro and Dill in my veg room also. Living in Hells Kitchen ( The Southern US) brings all kinds of critters to your grow… Check out this Wooly Aphid nest i got rid of a few days ago also…

2 Likes

Very interesting. I had similar issues. Instead of starting all the way over I’m telling you just get 2,000 or more predatory mites and release them into all of your grow areas. Then just knock down webbing cut down infested areas maintain it for about a week and then let nature take its course everything will be fine. I come to find out all the preventatives the fungicides the neem oil all you’re really doing is cutting down your own predatory mite population. Spider mites are asexual it only takes one to lay eggs they do not need to have sex to reproduce. It is much harder to regain a predatory mite population as opposed to a spider mite population. The sprays are only harming you, get some predatory mites and let nature take its course it has completely solved the problem for me. When I move my plants outdoors I seen a little bit of wedding from leftover spider mites that freaked me out so I bought more predatory mites. I didn’t need the extra predatory mites, that was just a reaction from the last leftover spider mites that was their last ditch effort at survival and casting Mass webbing. Instead of spraying or doing anything I just left it remain and the predatory mites took care of everything. :100:

2 Likes

I had some of that and that freaked me out. I thought it was an effort to reproduce not last chance at survival. I used a vacuum to suck alot of the webbing off. Ill definitely try predatory mites if it happens again. Do predatory mites reproduce and maintain a population? Do they linger around waiting for more food or do they die off after all the spider mites are gone?

1 Like

I use a mixture of five different predatory mites. They go from the root system to the top of the canopy. They don’t function so well in high flowering stages. But they have all types of pray. When they run out of prey they’re cannibalistic so they’ll eat each other if you can sustain a high enough population to maintain a proper food chain then yes you can contain a proper ecosystem of predatory mites. You’ll have to do your research on the proper humidity and temperature levels but yes they can multiply thrive and continue to prosper

Kind of like how I said I freaked out and I bought more predatory mites when I really didn’t need to. I was just moving some plants from indoor to outdoor. And like I said it was the last ditch effort by some leftover spider mites. So really I wasted money but in a way I spread them over my other vegetables tomato and grapevine even my magnolia you know dogwoods just everything and it raises the general natural predatory might population of your property because they’re a natural creature in your environment already.

1 Like