Power Draw FC-E6500

Was checking out the Mars Hydro FC-E6500. I’ve looked and looked but can’t find an actual “outta the socket” power draw. It says power draw is 730 watts but I’m hav’in 1 hellava time believing this light draws that kinda juice outta the wall. LED’s are sposed ta be more efficient. Im F’n completely lost.

I x V = P

6.052 amps X 120V ac = 726.24 watts

According to there specs it’s right. If you have one or access to one use a kill-a-watt meter to verify.

2 Likes

There are a couple high-power models that pull that kind of power. I’m not surprised that a model with 3564 diodes draws that much. The light is built with Bridgelux diodes as well, which are a little less efficient than the diodes typically used on high-end lights and thus draw a little more power than it would if built with higher efficiency diodes. Like @1LuckyMF stated, you can verify with a Kill-a-Watt meter.

Those that claim to be 1000w or 2000w are a different story.

1 Like

I have 2 of these and they are pretty close to as advertised

1 Like

The drivers also stay surprisingly cool for a economy light.

1 Like

So then, what the hell can I get for a 4’x4’ for $500 or less. I’m a tightass cuz I’m on a fixed income. I’ve looked…

Thanks

1 Like

@Gilly I have this light since Dec 21 and I am happy with its performance in my 4x4 tent…but if I had to replace it I would look at the HLG product line for something similar… I like the edge to edge concept using bars over the board type…

2 Likes

I’m not all that familiar with the specifics of pricing these days with what is out there. You can save a bit by going with Spider Farmer, who use LM301b diodes that are only 1 generation old. I would shop HLG first. You might be able to get a good deal on a refurbished light.

Don’t try to save money by buying lighting with lesser quality diodes. There are a lot of lighting scams out there (particularly on Amazon.) You can avoid the scams by insisting on a light built with Samsung LM301 diodes. Avoid KingLED. They claim to use LM301 diodes and actually do not.

You’ll need a minimum of 640 watts to fully light a 4x4. One option might be growing less plants instead of lighting the full tent. A well-lit single plant will outperform multiple plants with inadequate lighting.

2 Likes

Mars also offers the the FC and FC EVO which have 301b and 310h diodes respectively at comparable price points to spider and hlg. I’m going for an evo before long.

1 Like

I’m overwhelmed. Shows what a dummass I am. I’m just lost as to why anything else LED burns less juice and these LED lights need a F’n nuclear power plant to operate. Just doesn’t make good sense to me. I can fabricate and weld any metal there is but when it comes to electronics…I’m F’ed!!!

The drivers and shear volume of leds.

Whats the difference in an old transformer welder and inverter welder? Do they still require a minimum amp for like material?

Light requires a certain amount of energy to produce, leds are more efficient than other methods, but they ain’t majic.

Whats the problem, maybe we can help?

1 Like

Maybe this will be helpful

If you catch sales you can get them under $500. I have mars hydro fc e8000 I bought on a flash sale. 800 watts.

The spider farmer gs8600 I got for around $600 on sale. 860 watts. They both do random flash sales and holiday sales on their website.

4x4 I’d consider a big space and it is costly to light.

3 Likes

I was mess’n around with the wifes DWC stuff and have a couple of smaller wally world LED lights. Thought came to mind, they way they label stuff is misleading. They use stuff like 50 watt “equivalent”. What they actually do is a whiter color which appears brighter. The human eye perceives it different and they know it, so they play semantics in their marketing.

With grow lights, that won’t fly, plants require a certain PPFD and it requires a certain amount of energy to produce.

Kinda the reason I gave the welder analogy. I knew you would understand, the same amps are required to have decent penetration regardless if inverter or transformer. I know when they first came out everybody raved about them, and yeah, I like’m too. But more for other reason than power savings.

Sorry man, don’t mean to be a dead horse, just saw those lights and it popped into my head so I thought I would share. Hopefully your not as bad as me, I get caught up on something sometimes and can chew on it for days. Not good for me.

Listen to these guys they know their poopie, do your research and make the best choice for YOU.

I’ve spent way more money than I intended, but this whole process has been a ton of fun, enjoy the ride. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:t4: :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover:

Well @1LuckyMF, my dad started me welding when I was 10 years old so when you explained it in “welding” terms it all made sense. I’ll probably go with a smaller light like a Mars Hydro FC-E4800 and just grow 3 plants. If I do 3 plants inside twice a year and 1 monster outside it will be more than enough for me, my daughter and afew best buddies. Thats all I’m look’in for. Thanks for putting that in terms even I can understand.

2 Likes

I got the spider farmer s .2 sf 1000’s the lights seem to work in my small space. i grow in 2 small settups not tent but closed in i allso avoid the larger plants an stay under 3 to 4 foot like the ilgm grape fruit.

But ill allso use 35 dollor 60000 .lumin shop lights if needed lol .
The Spider farmer lights work great good luck in your endeavor,s show your plants when you decide .

Hey there @Southern . Heres 3 pics. Nutt’in ta look at, I just let’em grow ta see what happens. There’s a few decent nug’s up top and a $h!tl0ad of lit’lins @ bottom. Gonna try to do better next round.

2 Likes

Looking good they still got growing to do they nice plants !

1 Like

This Saturday will be 9 weeks flower @Southern. Even though it says 9 weeks flower for GDP I’m bett’in it’s gonna be closer to 12 weeks, maybe longer.

1 Like

Looks like its got couple more to go but nice plants

1 Like

Most definitely @Southern. Its never what they say it is. Seems like flower is always 3-4 weeks past what they say. I’ll get a pic of my outdoor girl. Its only about 2’ tall but the weather has been $h!t here. I normally would have had her out the 1st week of April but nooooooooooo…not this year. Pi$$e$ me off. Unless we have an Indian summer I ain’t so sure she’ll get done.

1 Like