Pot size for Photoperiod plants

I have some 4 gallon plastic pots I ysed for my first run with auto flowers. I also have 10 gallon plastic pots which would be ideal for my 4 photoperiods I recently started in my 4x4? Thanks

1 Like

Plastic pots kinda suck but 4 or 5 gal for autos is good and 5-10 good for photo.

5 Likes

Im going to agree with Doc to a extent plastic pots are realy good at containing moisture they can be good if used with the correct medium but cannabis likes dry periods water than allow the medium to dry back some before with plastic pots that can be a week or more some times between waterings due to lack or oxygen to the root zone and well roots want oxygen and alot of it haha majority of us prefer fabric pots or mesh pots that allow for alot of airflow to the roots they also aid in air pruning of the roots and as he said 3-5 gallon for autos and 5-10 for photos i like 5 gallon pots a good happy medium bit i run organics and am thinking of switch to 7 gallon pots now hope the rambling helps haha also if you want to continue to use the plastic pots id encourage drilling a bunch of hold in the bottom 3rd of the pot like 1/3in to 1/4in size hole to allow for more oxygen to the roots

1 Like

Thanks for the response ive only used plastic so far. Im far from experienced with only 1 grow under my belt. How many grows do you get from a cloth pot? How hard is it to transplant from them?

2 Likes

Imo this is larger than needed for typical indoor grow. There’s a few scenarios where it maybe makes sense, otherwise you’re basically buying twice the amount of soil/media needed. I don’t think i would use anything larger than 3 gallon for any plant indoors. Worst case scenario you water/feed a little more frequently. It usually takes longer for plants to hit peak growth rates in larger pots too.

I also use fabric pots. If you drill several extra drainage holes in bottom and side near bottom will make plastic a little more friendly.

9 Likes

Fabric pots can be cleaned in the wash machine and reused multiple times over and over again personally i do NOT like transplanting from fabric pots as the roots grow into the fabric and make it difficult to remove without ripping roots and stressing out the plant i personally like to start my plants in either 1 gallon plastic pots or solo cups and transplant into fabric pots as the final pot

5 Likes

Or another great option ive been using as of lately are fabric nursery bags they are small and are very similar to fabric pots but they allow you to to just transplant the entire pot into a bigger pot without ever having to remove the fabric bag as the roots grow rite through with no issues

3 Likes

dcJinHQTGlcabfzTbV

3 Likes

What #LiesGrows said. And also look at a product called Rain Science. I may try them next time. I like using 7 gal.

2 Likes

I often use 1 gallon fabric transplanter pots.
This is one with the Velcro side open and sides pulled down

5 gallon rain science bag. Love them

2 Likes

Have always thought about those with the velcro just never pulled the trigger on snagging some i could always have the wife make something similar also lol shes good at sewing haha and im actually working with another brand that make pots similar to rain science its a mesh bag but they have more eyelets for training he currently only has 3 gallon bags out atm but working on bigger bags i tild him i need a 30x30 raised bed made :smile:

@TrapPlay26 I currently have 4 7 gal plastic containers and 4 3 gal plastic containers with photos in them and I prefer the 7 gal by far. The 3 gal seem to dry out faster than I’d like, they require more attention then I often have time for. I think 5-7 gal is my sweet spot. I’m thinking of doing 5 gal buckets next run instead of the 3 gal planters.

Good luck with your grow!!

1 Like

I’ve been looking for these, who sells them?

1 Like

Google BurnTheBoatsAgri and use the second link to there etsy

2 Likes

I use 3 or 4 gallon plastic pots. I put about 3 inches of lava rocks in the bottom to allow extra oxygen to the roots. Works well. Also have done it with fabric pots outside when I was proof-of-concept a self-watering system for potential guerilla grows (it was successful, but health issues prevented me from doing it this year).

3 Likes

I did not know you could wash grow bags. What a great idea!

Game On!!! :+1:

2 Likes

Absolutely i just allow them to dry out fully flip inside out slap them against the sidewalk good like a old rug lol then toss them into the washer with a little detergent then run them through 1 extra rinse cycle so that i know all detergent has been washed out then air dry or dry on low haha they come out looking new dam near every time :wink:

1 Like

I’d been trashing mine after about 2 grows each. How wasteful. :frowning:

I love the idea of reusing after washing in a machine! Washing in the sink was not thorough.

:heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve used 10gallon fabric totes with my last Greenhouse grow before I harvested. I’ve used 15 gallon fabric totes before and don’t like using 15s. I if you’re transplanting, I would stick to plasic pots. I’ve done nothing but greenhouse grows but been wanting to do a tent grow. I would be looking at 5-7 gallon fabric totes over pastics forsure. You’ll have to do a drip tray under either one anyways.

2 Likes

Yeah i will also use a old like stiff bristle dish brush and get as many roots out as possible those things really like in weave into the fabric pots its definitely easier to buy new especially when a pack of 5 or 6 foes from 20 to 25 bones but i definitely try to recycle and reuse as much as possible haven’t bought new soil either in like the last 3 grows ill also be starting some worm and compost vins in the basement to be more self sufficient 20 per bag of castings adds up over time haha

1 Like