Planning my first indoor grow and I pretty set on the equipment I want to use. What I’m curious about is grow medium. I want to go as natural and organic as possible so my thought as of now looks like this. I’m going to use Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil with Super Soil Organic Concentrate. The plan is to mix 3 ounces of Super Soil with every gallon of Ocean Forest for the bottom two thirds of five gallon fabric pots, then fill the remaining portion of the pot with the Ocean Forest only. Of course, this is only after germination and sprouting under a humidity dome. My question is, will the soil and the super soil mixture on the bottom two thirds of the five gallon pots provide enough nutrients for the life cycle of the plants or will still need to add nutrients during the grow? Thanks!
Welcome to the forum.
You’ll have to add nutrients at some point. It is typically ~6 weeks from the last transplant when using FF Ocean Forest. If you are going to use synthetic nutrients you will need to monitor runoff PPM and feed as necessary to maintain a runoff PPM of ~1,000.
I wouldn’t suggest mixing super soil in with FFOF. Ocean Forest is nearly too hot as it is.
Thanks! I was wondering if there would be an over nutrient issue with mixing the two soils>
I agree with @MidwestGuy that you will most likely need to add some nutrients at some point, probably around 6 weeks depending on pot size. Larger containers are needed to go a full 16-20 wee run without adding nutrients.
I would not expect to see any issues with mixing the two soils. If your plant is of decent size and maturity before transplanting into the soil blend it should be fine.
Its better to layer soils with the hotter super soils at the bottom. Then the plant can grow roots into the area later on and begin to use just what is needed.
Look up Cannabis Soil Layering.
Agree with this statement
@AntM
Yes you can do this as that’s how the maker of the soil concentrate designed it to be used.
This stuff right?
I used it some years back and it was ok. Still have some.
It will work as directions show but there are limitations on how long you would be able to be in vegetative stage before flipping to flower when running photo period plants.
They have 2 products one for auto and one for photo. The photo mix allows for a longer grow cycle but I don’t see anywhere what time that is.
You can also use what’s left over for adding nutrients by top dressing it into the top and scratching it in. You may want to add addition aeration to both top and bottom soil such as pumice stone or rice hulls or perlite to add to better drainage and oxygenation of soil.
Hope this helps
Enjoy the day





