New Grower, Baby Boomer

Yep
Flower is flower
The idea is not to have to high of humidity to lower the chance of developing mold in the buds as well as white powdery mildew (WPM) due to too much moisture especially when light go off as the humidity tends to rise when light go off. I also have a oil filled heater in the room with the tent on a controller.
I have my humidifiers on both an inkbird controller for a set point during the lights on and they are also on timers so before lights go off and temps start to drop the humidifiers turn off until lights go back on and temps go back up. I also run a dehumidifier during lights out to help maintain that number spread.
It’s a dance and included in that can be opening or closing doors to the room or adjoining rooms or raise or lower the thermostat for the house.
The Govee Hygrometers are great I have them and use more than one in the tent to verify things. Just make sure you hang it at plant level and adjust accordingly as they grow because I care about what the plants are experiencing and not the space above or below.
I disable the dew point as it isn’t relevant to my needs.

You are so right! It’s a dance! I was on Amazon looking at Dehumidifiers that will fit in my 40" x 40" tent. Right now at this second I have to go out to the garage and try to adjust the openings in the tent because I have a 76.8 temp and 63.5 RH. That’s only a split of 10 and I should be at a split of 5. So I need a humidifier as well. Geez, in time I wrote this it is now 77.0 temp and RH of 62.5. So it’s going the wrong way. I also have an oil filled radiator heater. It has a thermostat on it. But I is just graduated dial with 1,2,3,4… I think I will go out and move that back a little.

1 Like

Check out AC Infinity for humidifiers they have some cool capabilities.

Also look at House of Hydro too
I use their stuff. The 5 disc model and built several with their parts as when I started AC infinity didn’t have what they do now.

I also have a separate controller for the oil filled heater and not using the inkbird because of too much power draw on it with the heater.

The big thing on using controllers weather for heat or humidity is that the heater or humidifier has to have the ability to continue where they left of when power is cut. Most of the shelf units don’t do this.
So if you unplug it does it start back up where it was before you unplugged it. Many out there do not and if they don’t using an inkbird controller or whatever brand controller won’t work with those devices.

Hope this help

1 Like

If you can maintain Vapor Pressure Deficit (VPD) in the range that’s great but they will still grow it just helps them along is all.
It took me a complete grow plus part of another to get things figured out and still the day to day changes that happen outside affect things inside too.
I’m in Ohio and it goes from 5F outside with very little water in that air so inside my RH dives and I run two humidifiers and 7-8 gallons of water but lately temps are at 50F and humidity is up and I’m only using 2-3 gallons of Reverse Osmosis water a day.
BTW if you are using hard water (Tap) in humidifier it will cause a calcium white powder coating on things like furnace filters and in line carbon filters in the tent.

Thanks! I am ordering the 6" Affinity Air Filtration kit with the smart controller, carbon filter and duct tomorrow. I think that smart controller will do it all. Then I can add the humidifier to the controller. That controller looks pretty robust compared to their cheaper version. That will be a good start. Well good night sir. Thanks for the knowledge you gave me.

2 Likes

I am on a well here in NC, so water is clean.

1 Like

What no chemical train wrecks lol
Glad to help.
There are many on here that use the AC infinity stuff so plenty of help if you need it.

3 Likes

What is the blue bucket? Is that the mister? How big is your tent. I was trying to get the humidity closer to the temp last night. So I put a bucket of water in there about 12’ across. Well the humidity got to high. I don’t recall exactly but it was to high in relation to the temp. So that didn’t work. I am going to order that AC Infinity dehumidifier. My tent is only 40" x 40". I am on day 15 and they look great to my untrained eye. This pics are from day 14. Last night. Is this still seedling stage or am I into vegetative?

2 Likes

I would say you are in veg state now. Looking good and healthy!

1 Like

Yea the 5 gallon blue bucket has the 5 disc in it and the fan on top to blow the mist up into my 4 1/2’ X 8’ X 7’ tent via the 4” black flexible duct

Just past seedling and start of veg

Well I thought I would order the AC Infiniti 6 in, but my Grandson came over with a 4” Marshydro he has with the Carbon Filter. So since I have a 1x1 meter tent, That should be fine.

3 Likes

Humidity! I am running to low of RH. For instance. Right now my temp is 74.7 and the RH is 34.1% However the plants look good. They are 5 in now. I have kept the PAR gradually rising. It is about 500 now. Maybe a little more. I added a very light note dose for the first time. I ended up not getting the Infinity T6. My Grandson had a Marshydrow 4 in. That will work. My wife has a little humidifier she donated. However I need to be able to turn it off automatically when desired level is achieved. But I won’t have a mold problem if I do nothing.

1 Like

I just ordered the Inkbird controller that SkyDiver recommended. I will plug the oil heater and humidifier in it. I think it will turn itself on and off at preset levels. So I think I turn the heater to always on and the ink bird turns it on and off at preset levels.

Again just a heads up whatever device you plug into the inkbird it needs to be able to resume function when powered off.
So if you unplug the humidifier while running and plug it back in will it keep going just as it was before being unplugged?

Most analog devices with manual click dials work like my oil filled heater I use but my small humidifiers I used in the past do not work with the inkbird as they don’t hold settings as the inkbird powers the devices on and off based on the probes readings inside the tent.
They also have a watt/amp limit so if running heater and it’s 1800 watts on high it may not be able to run at the same time as the humidifier. Just depends on what things a drawing etc.

I also have my humidifier hooked up to a timer to kill power at lights off so when my temps drop from 80 about 10 degrees to 70F the humidifier doesn’t maintain the same 60% at 70F
The inkbird I have doesn’t have the ability to define a timeframe for a particular % so I use a timer.

Hope this helps

1 Like

The devices need to have no computerized settings for the most part it needs to be manual on and offs and manual settings for the timers to work

2 Likes

Thanks! This is a learning journey on the fly. I don’t want to screw up too bad on this first attempt. I think I have to get the temps up. I’m running between 73 and 75 I think I need to be between 78 and say 83. My goal is 5 oz per plant yield.

2 Likes

Not sure where your tent is in house but I find just by opening or closing tent vents and or opening or closing door to room tent is in or adjoining rooms or adjusting my house thermostat can make a difference in tent temps.
Also increasing or decreasing the in line 4” fan you just got will affect temps/humidity inside the tent.
It’s a dance but trying various things will give you more know ledge for the future.

It’s in an unheated attached garage. It usually runs 20 degrees colder when it’s cold. And hotter when it’s hot. The doors and ceiling are insulated. Thanks for your help Skydiver!

1 Like