How Many Watts led 4x4 Trent

Hello, I’m growing 3 plants in a 4x4. The only light I have is the Vivosun VS1000 100W led light. Well this be sufficient for a decent yield? If not, how many Watts do I need for a good yield? I’m on a budget

1 Like

100 watts is good to Veg one plant. You can get it thru flower with it but you will not have a large yield.

The minimum you want is 40 watts per square foot. So, you want at least 640 watts.

1 Like

This subject is one that I’ve read so much on. 30 to 50 watts per square ft, is something I read recently. I have a friend who lives by nothing less than 650w in flower stage. Some say more some much less. On my first grow I used a $200 light for this plant my notes were way to far apart which I believe was due to no training on the plant and wattage from my light. I was happy with it because it was my first grow and that was last year.

2 Likes

The first light I used was a T5 active grow light 4 bulb led. Perhaps you can find a refurbished light of higher wattage at a discounted price.

2 Likes

Depending on light quality 350-400 watts will easily do 3 plants. Everyone will say get so much light in you can melt the earth. Not true. 3 plants will easily fit in a 350w footprint. FOOTPRINT!!!
As long as in your quality lights footprint you can grow as many as fit. Period. No plants reach out and steal light from others. They take what comes down. If outside good footprint they get less. If in it they get same as every other plant. I grow 3 auto in the footprint of an ES300 anytime i want. Quality lights. The ES is a 3x7 veg and 2.5x5 flower profile. I have run 9 plants at once with 1 light per set of 3. Here is a pic of 2 300w lit with 1 hanging turned off. 5x5. How much light coverage with good diodes is the key in my opinion.

5 Likes

Thank you so much

1 Like

That would explain why my last harvest which was my first was absolutely horrible lol

1 Like

I’ll look into that.

Thank you. I’m going to do some light searching today. How can I tell what footprint it’s leaving

1 Like

Quality companies have all the info 3rd party. Samsung 281…workable,or 301 preferred. Offbrand Amazon avoid. Bloom/ veg switch avoid.

5 Likes

Samsung 301 EVO are the best on the market, as far as I know.

The higher wattage and quality light will give you closer nodes and denser buds, which is of course what we all want. Wattage per square foot matters.

4 Likes

You might want to look into a refurbished light. Hlg has some nice reduced prices. I’ve had good luck with mine so far.

5 Likes

Wow those are some serious nugs! Congratulations on that grow.

2 Likes

Thank you because I was looking at one of those lights with the bloom veg switch

1 Like

Thank you. Still shopping around.

Yes! Thats some very good luck lol

I know I should stay away from cheap but would something like this suffice until I get something better

FECiDA 600W LED Grow Light Dimmable, 2024 Best LED Grow Lights for Indoor Plants Full Spectrum, Seed Starting Seedlings Vegetable Pepper Hanging Growing Lamps, Daisy Chain Function, Quiet Built-In Fan https://a.co/d/bSfJEqI

1 Like

No sir. I know budgets are tight at times but use the biggest part for the light. Cant stress that enough. Give us a budget and there will be solid suggestions. The light IS the grow. Be right to start there. 5 year investment low budget. High end stuff can give 10.

2 Likes

Honestly I only have about $150 to spare. I went buying everything else thinking my light was fine so that’s all I have left for now & I already started growing these 2 plants

1 Like

ALWAYS make what you have work. Dont stress it. Save another 100 and go for a 250.00 light on sale. Now that you know lights are the priority you can save for them. What you have will work for now especially if in veg.
Spider farmer/mars hydro/ac infinity etc almost always have a sale. FULL SPECTRUM with samsung diodes. Dimmer prefered. 150 can get 300w probably. 300 will do 2 nice plants easy. Diodes are the key. Even second level or 3rd level 301 diodes beat blurple lights. No need for the very best right now. Just decent will work fine. Save up and get a great lightnext round.

3 Likes