How many colas per plant?

This plant is a LA Confidential from ILGM. I had a failed fim attempt but was happy with topping it 5 times for 32 colas. How many cola’s are too many per plant? This plant is in 13 gallons of soil(mixture of Dr earth and fox farm ocean forest). I use Dr earth for my base ferts and supplement with down to earth stuff (guano,alfalfa,kelp). I’ve been adding rooting hormone hoping to inspire root growth. I super cropped the branches that went over the canopy. Pistils have been showing for 5 days. She’s just starting to flower. I know I’m overdoing something because my leaf tips are burning a bit but she looks pretty healthy otherwise. Will that stalk be able to pull up enough nutrients to feed all those colas? Is more bud sites better or is it better to focus on fewer but bigger buds as far as yield goes?

26 Likes

Large plants in the right environment can support a whole lot of bud. Examples of massive single plant scrogs are all over. Hydro or soilless medium may be better suited to the endeavor than soil is. Major transpiration and nutrient uptake is necessary. So, whatever it takes to make that happen needs to be there.

13 Likes

Welcome to the community ! Very nice plant.
:+1::v:

7 Likes

Number of colas doesn’t necessarily determine your final yeild. How your canopy is managed will have a pretty big factor at the end of each grow. Also worth pointing out you don’t need to top or fim at all to get several colas.

16 Likes

@Mcsketcher your girl looks nice but she is going grow taller during the flower stretch so get a net trellis ready to support your branches…Big Colas look nice but can come with mold issues so be aware of what you ask for…and in my experience where no different in taste/effect than the smaller ones from the same plant

10 Likes

Im growing all organic too which makes a difference, Im still experimenting with different sized pots and numbers of tops. Obviously more soil makes more food I’m at 7 gallons for my photoperiod plants and I find 8-12 tops makes nice fat nugs with a decent harvest, obviously the more tops the smaller the buds are. I haven’t tried 13 gallons so I’m sure you will do much better than I did trying for monster plants like you have there with 5 gallon pots :laughing: i ended up with a brazilian thumbnail size buds, the quality was great but trimming was a nightmare lol … so my answer to which is better a bunch of small or fewer big buds is a hard fewer big ones for me… it’s great you are getting some burn on the tips at the beginning of flower it’s a sign there’s plenty of food I’m a little excited to see the outcome on your grow so keep the updates coming. Good luck

7 Likes

That’s exactly where I’m at… Experimenting with tops and different size pots. This is the most soil I’ve given a plant yet. I was doing about 7 on my previous plants. I was using 10 gallon bags but not filling them all the way up for height reasons as I was growing in a 60" tent. That might not be necessary really though. This plant has a 34" diameter but only stands 26-28"s tall. I topped quickly though. I was clipping the new growth as soon as it appeared. I wanted her to have plenty of time to recover before I sent her to flower. I’m discovering cannabis is a pretty adaptive resilient plant in it’s veg state. Bonsai cannabis is possible… I just got to grow the patience first

7 Likes

We are growing weeds these things can definitely live through a lot of torture and actually improve when they’ve been damaged. If you want to come check out my thread just click on Homer then again on my featured topic that will magically transport you over to my place. It’s more of a long as diary of my stuff going back a year or so it’s got a bunch of us bs’ing but I try to do an update every week

6 Likes

I will def be checking in. I just spent 20 mins reading. A bunch of places I’ve already been and already a few I haven’t… I like information. Im trying to do a lot of the same things though. I want to reuse my soil. I’m def buying some worms in a couple of weeks.

5 Likes

I think I might do something similar as far an extended diary goes. I have 3 grow areas as well. I’m going to veg in 1 and flower in 2. At least that’s the plan now…

5 Likes

That was my plan for a while but I can’t ever get the timing right :sweat_smile: my third tent was for autos only now I am running autos in two tents, it’s the neverendingstory :laughing: I have a horrible case of the f*ck with it’s and I’ll never be able to stop changing everything

6 Likes

That plant looks amazing. I luv LA Confidential. Definitely gonna be watching this grow

3 Likes

I’ve kinda decided I’m only doing photos… I’m greedy and a little slow so when they legalized it here I started 2 photos and an auto in a 20"x36"x63" tent. My thought being I’d keep 2 in veg cause the auto would be done “seed to harvest in 6-7 weeks”… None of that worked that way. In addition I started another outside thinking I’d have it ready to go to flower when the 2 photos were done. I didnt top em or anything. It looked like Cambodia in the tent. There was a neverending heatwave going on outside and the auto took 14 weeks. I learned a lot my 1st grow by fucking up literally everything imaginable. I’m not even coming close to covering all of the mistakes made. The photos give me the opportunity to manipulate their shape. I saw a photo of a guys plants, he had woven multiple branches in like a cannabis braid. So, I want to do that. I haven’t been able to find that photo again so I’m not sure what strain it was but it looked really cool. Plus, I think I’ve decided vegging a bit longer is the way to go. I’d gladly tac on another month of wait time if it doubles my yields

8 Likes

:100: You go to the head of weed class. :sunglasses:

She looks great man. I’m doing the exact same thing in super+worm soil, stop by my journal anytime, I’d love to compare notes.

3 Likes

I keep looking at your user name… My last name is Currier.

2 Likes

Your girl is blazing!

3 Likes

Nice fatty. I love that strain.

3 Likes

The blooms are 7 days old…

8 Likes

Very nice job. Wish mine looked that good! I have two spindly clones trying to get to flower. Or maybe they were clones of clones of clones…

5 Likes

I’m harvesting these ladies this weekend I think… Hoping for 8-10 oz

7 Likes