First time grower looking for good simple tips

Hello all just want to get some tips on auto flowering plants. Just planted a wedding cake auto in a 2x2x4. I already put the seed in a damp napkin for 2 days and it sprouted so I planted it in its permanent home using indicanja premix start to finish soil using a lbw led light that has 6 dimming modes and I have the led light about 15” from the top of the grow bag at 100% intensity. I watered the soil a bit before placing her in 1.5” hole. Humidity is around 48% and temp around 76F. Any tips on watering, humidity, temp, PH balance and when should I add nutrients. Im going to run the led light 18 on 6 off until flowering where ill commence 12/12 schedule. Again I am 100% green on growing and all tips will be appreciated. My equipment is cost efficient for the time being until I get more experience then ill go all out. Check out my little set up. Hope to make some great connections here.

1 Like

The best tip I can give is to master the basics before moving on to more advanced techniques. If the basics aren’t nailed, then anything else you can do offers little benefit.

You soil is good, it’s a decent tent for 1 plant.

Humidity is fine for now, but you want it a little lower during flowering to avoid mold issues.

Seedlings need very little water; only a few ml per day to begin with. Increase watering quantity as the plant grows, but never more than the plant is capable of drying the soil out within 2 to 4 days. Wet and dry cycles are necessary for cannabis for good root health. Once the plant is mature you can water until the water runs out of the bottom of the pot. Let the soil dry out before watering again.

You will need good pH and PPM meters.

[quote=“JP537, post:1, topic:111179”]
PH balance

Maintain a runoff pH of 6.3 to 6.8.

Begin feeding when runoff PPM reduces to ~1,000 and then feed as necessary to maintain that runoff PPM of 1,000. Don’t worry if you are off a few hundred PPM here and there. You will get the hang of it with experience.

Your light is fine for seedlings, but it will not effectively flower a plant. Cannabis is an extremely light hungry plant. The only plants that need as much light as cannabis are cacti, palm trees, and olive trees.

Light is measured in PPFD. Get the Photone app to see where your light intensity is. The minimum guideline is:

seedling: 300 PPFD
Veg: 600 PPFD
Flower: 800 PPFD

You will need 200 watts of quality lighting if growing a single plant to get the the minimum PPFD levels. Quality lighting means one built with Samsung LM301 diodes. HLG, AC Infinity, Mars Hydro, and Spider Farmer all have good lighting options.

6 Likes

@MidwestGuy I appreciate the advice. Mastering the basics is the goal for sure. I know I will get the hang of it. I will get another led light so that when its time to flower I can give the plant what she properly needs. This is a wedding cake autoflower from a royal queen seeds so im excited to watch her grow to her full potential but definitely a bit nervous but I will get the hang of it. Appreciate the all around advice I am literally learning as I go. As far as the ventilation system, does that stay on throughout out the plants existence? Or is there a schedule for that as well. I hope that wasnt a stupid question lol

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I have a couple tips to add.

Since your current light is a bit underpowered, you can bring the light cycle up to 20 on / 4 off. An autoflower doesn’t need to be changed to 12/12 to flower, since it automatically enters the flower stage when it’s ready.

By increasing the amount of time each day your light is on to 20 hours , you’ll get closer to the ideal DLI - daily light integral. DLI is a sum of how much light the plant received each day, like how many inches or mm of rain happened in a day. You can have a less intense light on for longer (think light rain all day), giving a good amount of total light. A higher power light will be like a heavier rainfall, where you need less each day. There are of course limits, you can’t give just one really intense hour of light per day. The Photone app will calculate DLI for you, if you input your light schedule.

The better solution is to upgrade your light. But until you’re ready to do that, for now run your light for longer. Some people give autoflowers 24 hours of light, without any darkness. I don’t know if that’s the best way or not, I’ve seen plenty of opinions and good reason both for and against 24 on.

For mastering the basics, watering is super important. If you’re like most of us, you’ll water too often and that causes all sorts of problems. It’s best to water a lot at once, but not frequently - that creates the desired wet/dry cycles.

Yes the ventilation is always on. You want fresh air constantly entering the tent.

Finally - keep using this same topic to keep asking more questions and give updates on your grow. Then anyone following can see the whole process and help. It tends to work better than starting a new topic for each new question.

6 Likes

Thank you for the advice greatly appreciated. Makes sense with the extra couple of hours of light for it to reach its ideal daily light intake. I will upgrade the light so that she grows happy. Will also get on a watering schedule for sure

2 Likes

welcome aboard! A quick tip for your seedling when she pops up. Place a plastic bag or clear solo cup over the sprout until it grows its first set of primary leaves. It will help prevent your delicate seedling from drying out while it gets its roots established enough to take up water. Just don’t forget to remove it for a few minutes each day to allow fresh air in.

3 Likes

We will try that. Thank you. I will keep posting

1 Like

Here is a picture of her on her day 2 above the dirt. Any tips on what to doin this stage? Also bought a better light from Spider Farmer SF1000, Samsung LM301H EVO Led Grow Light, Full Spectrum Plant Grow Light. Gets here today so I will switch it up later so she can flourish. Again shes a wedding cake autoflower.

2 Likes

Looks good. You are going the right direction. Be careful and avoid overwatering at this stage.

1 Like

She looks terrific. You probably don’t need to water for 1-2 weeks. The root system will spread throughout the pot to soak up all the water in there.

2 Likes

Thank you. Im using Indicanga from start to finish soil any advice on adding nutrients in a week or two? Or should I wait a month for that since the soil has nutrients in it already?

2 Likes

1 Like

Looks good. I haven’t used that soil so I can’t say. Likely it had anywhere from 4-6 weeks worth of nutrients in it for that size of pot. That’s just a guess on my part. I’d be very surprised if you need to add nutrients in 2 weeks.

1 Like

Thank you. I took your advice and bought a better light from spider farmer that has Samsung LM301H diodes. So far she is trnding in the right direction. I will keep posting and keeping everyone updated.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that. Its a 3 gallon im using. I wont add any nutrients yet but tbh I dont think I have too but ill read more on the manufacturers recommendations

2 Likes

Hope all is well. So I have the seedling domed with a plastic bottle end humidity is a bit low and temp is 87.8F my room is 67F. Filter with intake fan going 24/7 Spider Farmer SF1000, Samsung LM301H EVO Led Grow Light, Full Spectrum at 24” from top of canopy. How can I bring that tempt down. Should I raise light higher or should I use the dim feature? I have it at 50% intensity. But seems to be doing good. Just dont want to burn her out. Am I ok so far?

Hope all is well. So I have the seedling domed with a plastic bottle end humidity is a bit low and temp is 87.8F my room is 67F. Filter with intake fan going 24/7 Spider Farmer SF1000, Samsung LM301H EVO Led Grow Light, Full Spectrum at 24” from top of canopy. How can I bring that tempt down. Should I raise light higher or should I use the dim feature? I have it at 50% intensity. But seems to be doing good. Just dont want to burn her out. Am I ok so far? I posted a few pics below Thanks

I read thru the above and did not see specific mention of where to water. When they are young and still developing roots, if you water in a circle about 3" away from the stem, then you will force her to search out the water she knows is there. When you water directly around the area where the stem is, it can lead to damping off and cause issues, the worst being :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

Thank you for that. I will definitely incorporate that. Appreciate that.

1 Like

If your room is at 67 and inside the tent is 87, anre you anow to increase the fan speed so there is more fresh air coming into the tent? That should help lot.

I also noticed you are venting the exhaust out of the bottom of the tent, any particular reason for that? If you can, venting out the top will make the fan more efficient - all the extra ducting and turns in the ducting reduce how much air is moving per fan speed. You may also be exhausting hot air out of the tent and that hot air is going right back into the tent, instead of the cool air from the room being pulled in.

1 Like