First time grow, General setup advice/corrections requested

1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow?
    Indoor tent 3’x2’ , Attempting 3 auto flowers

2. Origin of seeds?
    Fast buds. 1 Apple strudel Auto (Seedling pictured), 1 Gorilla cookies Auto (germinating humidity dome), 1 Pineapple express Auto (germinating humidity dome)

3. Regular, feminized, or auto-flower?
    Auto flower

4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water?
    Fry’s Distilled water, about 5.5PH when purchased. PH Adjusted to 6.5 PH. I add about 5ml 3% Hydrogen peroxide per 1 gallon water

5. PH and TDS/EC of if mixed solution?
    I have not been able to test the soil yet, my slurry sample has been sitting a few hours now and I believe I will test it tonight for PH.

6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain.
    Roots Organics “Original potting soil” for germination and seedling
    I plan to use Roots Organics “Lush” for veg and flower.

7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used.
    None

8. What type of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate.
    AC Infinity IONBOARD S22, Full Spectrum LED Grow Light 100W

24" above plant, set at 90%, on 18 hours, off 6 hours

1. What are the temps in your grow space? Day / Night?
    Day 75F-80F / Night 72F-75F

2. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night?
    Consistently between 74% - 81%

3. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
    2x AC Infinity 4.5L CloudForge T3 Humidifier

I have it set on VPD, target of .9 kPa

1. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"?
    AC Infinity CLOUDLINE A4 | Quiet Inline Duct Fan System with Speed Controller | 4-inch
    AC Infinity CLOUDLINE LITE A4 I Quiet Inline Duct Fan System — LED Grow Lights Depot

Set to 30% if temp reaches above 77F, or above 82% humidity. Otherwise, it is off.

1. Co2 Yes / No?
    No

2. How long have you been growing?
    First time

3. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully?
    I believe I have invested about $500

Pictures

Hello everyone!
I just wanted to give a general overview of my setup and my only sprouted plant. I’m looking for any advice or corrections. This is my first post and first time attempting to grow. I am pretty much just diving into this. Anything helps, thanks!

My Apple Strudel sprouted 6/4/24 and is about 6 days old.

2 Likes

I have a concern with this, but I’m not a soil guy. They will be by and see this :green_heart::metal:t2:
Ya gotta great start :+1:t2: and Welcome

3 Likes

Slurrys only need to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
Longer could give a more accurate reading, but only slightly but water exposed to oxygen and CO2 will change pH slightly too so its a wash.
Anyway, after 5 minutes its close enough to tell you what you need to know.
PPMs and pH readings. Straining the mix is not necessary either. Just read it in the muddy mix. Rinse the meters and go on with life.

5 Likes

Welcome aboard and congrats on your first baby. It looks like you have a good start with quality equipment. The only thing I see is that a 100w light isn’t ideal. It will get you started but generally you will want at least 200w per plant when you get to flower and 300w is better. You can keep using this topic as a grow journal so if you have any problems down the line all the pertinent info is in one place.

2 Likes

Dont use distilled water, and stop the peroxide. If youre in soil and adding peroxide to your water, youre killing the beneficial microbes in your soil, plus everything else lol… i agree with the lighting also. Minimum you want 100 to 150 watts per plant. If youre using roots organics, in a 5 gal pot, depending on size of plant, you might be able to carry her full term. Ive successfully carried a few autos to harvest with fresh loaded soil. I also wouldnt worry about slurry testing unless you start showing issues. Use regular tap. Your soil will automatically buffer the ph.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply.
I have very hard, and highly chlorinated tap water where I live. Why do you say not to use distilled water?

1 Like

I do also. Just fill up a 5 gal bucket and allow to water to “degas” for 24 hours. Believe it or not plants do require a lil bit of chlorine in their nutrient line.

Distilled water has no nutrients. Your tap has micro and macro nutrients your plants need. Save money. Grow more weed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Roger that. Thanks!

1 Like

If your utility uses chloramines in the water they don’t off gas like chlorine. You can check the water report for your utility to find out. If they do, it has to be filtered out with a catalytic carbon filter approved for the purpose or you have to chemically separate and neutralize the chlorine and ammonia with a water conditioner.

2 Likes

What do you think?

1 Like

Looks good, 24 hours in the open air should do the trick.

1 Like

Do you think I could get by getting one more of the same light, and using it in parallel? I see the math there says, no. Or do I need to start saving for a much better light? Do you have any recommendations?

1 Like

No uranium, that’s good :metal:t2::green_heart:

2 Likes

Whats your budget? I personally have HLGs, but if youre wanting to completely interface, id stick with ACI. As far as lighting. If youre planning on growing 3 at a time, i personally would save for a better light. If you can afford a pay in 4, take a look at grow light depot. They have ACI stuff and have pay in 4 options.

2 Likes

@Biomi Welcome to the community! I was going to suggest more light also, but, you have replied to that… and you are definitely in good hands Congrats on your 1st! Happy Growing! :partying_face:

2 Likes

I’m thinking about this one? Its only 280W, but has the right length x width that I need. You think that might work for 4 plants in the future?

2 Likes

You could squeeze 4 if you added that with your current light.

1 Like

Here is a update on my plants. I did end up getting the 3’x2’ AC Infinity 280W light and have it set to 40%, about 25" above seedlings and 21"-22" above the more mature plant. I also water with “de-gassed” tap water now, but keep distilled water in the humidifiers so they don’t grime up. Apple Strudel is about 12 days old now and Pineapple Express and Gorilla Cookies are about 6 days since sprouting. If you guys see anything off, please let me know. Thanks!

2 Likes