Do I top or not? New grower!

My plants are now 4 weeks old. I’ve been watching topping videos. Some day do it some say don’t? If i do, am i just takeing the lottle growth ot cut the whole top off? @OGIncognito

5 Likes

6 Likes

I top above the 4th, 5th or 6th node depending on the training technique I plan on using. When you top you remove all the growth above the node you choose, I also remove node #2 and all growth below.

This plant was topped above the 4th, left the 3rd and removed all growth below. Soft ties to LST the sides

8 Likes

I usually top above the 5th node…and more later to create a wide flat canopy for a SCROG.

4 Likes

It all depends on the training method you use and how much space you have. If your growing in a tent with a low ceiling you may well run out of head room if you do not top or train. Personally i top everything indoor and even most of my outdoor

4 Likes

I will offer one more option - training without topping. I spend a lot of time bending and tying down to flatten the canopy (no net). Do not know what is best, but that is what I do. I used to top or “FIM”. Topping or FIMing is probably less labor intensive.

4 Likes

I fim then train further. Works nice-usually

3 Likes

I thought FIMing worked well too. Any and all of the above, find your groove. More than one way to skin a cat.

3 Likes

I fim some and some I just bend and tie down and some I super crop. Ive had great success either way. I haven’t straight topped a plant in Years but I’m sure it would give me similar results.

5 Likes

Is this a auto? I’m just curious because I’ve never heard not to top photos. I’m a auto grower and would like to know for future grows

1 Like

My tent is 60x60x60.

2 Likes

They are photos

2 Likes

The reason for topping and fimming or bending are pretty much the same. You want the main stem called the apical stem to no longer dominate the plant. This allows the other branches to become dominate and creates an even canopy. Topping allows for better control of the final shape of the plant, allows you to do manifolds as well as control height. Just bending “lst” will give you an even canopy by taking the apical stem out of the equation. If you’re growing in a tent you want an even canopy to give the whole plant the same amount of light as much as possible. Topping, gives you 2 main stems. Fimming can give you 4 main stems sometimes 6 and just bending will give you more or less main branches depending on where you make the bend. Its just different ways to accomplish the same thing. More yeild with less height.

3 Likes