Daily droop / Autos

Do your plants droop before the lights go out? The roots feed the plant via capillary action. The foliage consumes the water faster than the feed rate. If you switch your lights to 9/3, the plant will remain standing proud. No more droop.

2 Likes

Every plant I’ve seen (minus literal trees) droops a little before dark periods. Even in the wild.

5 Likes

That doesn’t surprise me. Theory still holds.

1 Like

Also, I started a GSC auto that was under the same light. Day15 when I went to 9/3. It’s Day35 and it has not started flowering yet. I switched the light back to 18/6. Now to see how long it takes to flower.

1 Like

I haven’t had the drooping issue with my auto I’m presently growing but I use a hydroponic system. Before when using soil they would droop if not getting enough water. Is your soil dry when you test it

1 Like

Ive noticed this with my photo, she droops right before lights out.

4 Likes

Plenty of moisture in the soil. Not enough root could be part of the issue. Not absorbing fast enough. I was in a 2 gal pot, so that likely made it worse. Which lead to the solution.

2 Likes

Mine was drooping earlier and earlier each day. That’s when I went to 9/3 lights. Worked soon as I switched.

2 Likes

Yup because the time got shorter. They’ll adjust back to droopy once they “can tell the time” again.

5 Likes

Get droop before lights off if I’m running lights too close and maybe one or two other things that seriously deplete the plants ability keep up with the issue.

By lights on its had time to fix the lack of water and resources but the cycle continues till eventually it drops earlier and earlier or is always dropping.

Switching to 9/3 dosent solve the problem just reduces the length of stress briefly until that catches up again and the cycle repeats.

You must give proper light times but also know how much lights and stuff the plant can handle or it gets low on resources like water leaving leaves a little deflated before the end of the cycle.

2 Likes

9/3 light times did fix the problem. 1st cycle. Stayed strong thru harvest.
I also stumbled on how to extend veg time with autos. 9/3 lights starting at 2 weeks. I’m at day 36 w/no flower. I switched lights back to 18/36. Now I wait.

Excellent advice @RHarriS1
:grin::+1:

1 Like

Update. next plant. Day 15, lites to 9/3. Day 34, Switched lights to 18/36. Day 36 flowers starting. Droop showing. Increased dark 30min. Watch for sag.

Potential conclusion: 9/3 lites will extend veg time. Further testing needed.

Theory: Foliage depletes capillary supply. Sag results. Shut down production via lights off. Capillary refreshes.

9/3 lights will fix the problem. Now I want to see what a single lite cycle vs double cycle will do.

Happy growing

2 Likes