Caveman’s 2nd grow

Hey guys, back at it with round 2. Not switching much up this time around, I’m just trying to grow 2 this time.

Here’s what I’m working with:
ILGM Girl Scout Cookie Extreme Autos
2x2x5’ Spider Farmer tent
Spider Farmer sf1000 Light
3 gal radicle bags
Fox farms happy frog soil
Inkbird temp/rh controller
250w heater
Humidifier
Heat set to 78 +-1
Rh% set to 65 +-1

Started soaking the seeds on the 11th and they cracked so I planted them on the 12th. I skipped the paper towel method as they cracked. Last time I put it in a paper towel to wait for root to pop before planting.
One of the things I’m trying differently is I planted one of them in a solo cup this time around. Figure I had good luck with planting directly into it’s forever home so the second seed I did that again.

#1 is in the solo cup, #2 is in the 3 gallon pot.
#1 popped and shed its helmet on the 15th, while #2 broke soil on the 15th it kept its helmet until yesterday. I tried a couple times to remove it, but it wouldn’t budge so I left it.
I removed the dome on #1 on the 16th and I can’t remember if I left #2 domed this morning or not before I left for work, but i think I’ll remove it tonight if I haven’t already.
I gave them 2 oz of 6.5ph water last night before I took the picture.

So there it is, grow 2 under way. A few things a little different, but mostly the same. I’m also in a different room as last time. My old room is going to be setup for my bigger tent, I just have to do some work to it first. Hopefully within the next couple weeks I can start something in there as well.
@kellydans
@Nicky
@Not2SureYet
@jetlag
@Hellraiser

9 Likes

Seedlings look happy ! That’s some good looking bags. I like them with the sewed on handles.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag. I will be watching for sure :+1:

2 Likes

Looks like your off to a good start.

2 Likes

Wow you have really nice high quality grow bags/pots.
Looking good, don’t forget to put a little breeze in them to make them strong right away.

The nursery bags are ideal, solo cups work great for photos and work well with autos if your careful but these nursery bags are the bomb.

2 Likes

I got the fan all setup blowing on the little ladies as we speak.
What type of nursery bags are you talking about? I also ordered two 1 gallons radicle bags, but they got used by my fiancé. They make a helluva strainer go for washing perlite and what not to! Lol

1 Like

They are a fabric that roots grow right through.
Head over to our grow off and a link will be posted in the beginning I’m sure.

Edit you wash your perlite? Why the silica dust is good for the plants.

2 Likes

I read that you’re supposed to wash it, the dust clogs the filters? Ha! Well, next time I’ll skip that and see what happens. Hahaha! My bad!

Also found the nursery bags for next grow. Which size do you go with to start them out?

1 Like

Lookin good, set to follow mang

I wash mine as well. They crap that comes off is almost like tooth paste once it dries up. I am not sure if it makes a huge difference. But you definitely can see why it is rinsed once you do it one time. These are what I use. They are the perfect size. I trim a little off the top to shorten them. Maybe an inch or so

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B087CYBKPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

It’s actually the minerals from your humidifier that get vaporized then turn into a powder and dust everything like your filter. That’s why many don’t run a filter in veg and only put it in on flower.

@Not2SureYet has you covered on the bags

2 Likes

You shouldn’t get and dust in the air even if you don’t wash the perlite. @Nicky is right for no filter in veg. Humidity is not a filters friend. It can shorten their life

I did not know that humidity hurts the filters. Makes complete sense though. I actually did leave the filter off so far as I was waiting until I needed it for the smells.
@Not2SureYet I will order some up, looks like they’re back ordered until late March. Perfect time for the next grow :slight_smile:
Thanks again guys for the kind words and help!

1 Like

I will clarify that this is misting humidifiers, evaporation type humidifiers don’t have this effect on your filters but then again those have their own filter inside them an are bulkier and yada yada at least in my experience. So I just figure I need to replace a carbon filter every year or two

1 Like

When do you guys think I should transplant the solo cup into it’s forever home?
#1 (solo cup plant) is looking really good. It’s ahead of the one I planted directly into the 3 gallon. I’m kurr at t getting paranoid though about stunting it later when I go to transplant.
Should I wait until it gets 2-4 nodes like I was originally going to, or should I switch it sooner before it gets further along?

1 Like

What i do is when the leaves reach the edge of the cup. This way it has a good root ball for when you take it out of the cup.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help. I’ll late a look at how close she is tonight when I get home.
Are you talking the first set of leaves then?

I think I transplanted early. Hopefully not too early, but it didn’t go great. Ha!
I got it in the new pot, but it did sort of fall apart as I pulled it from the cup. It looked good this morning. I shall see how it did during the day and will watch it closely the next couple days. I’ll be sure to post a picture of the two little ladies later tonight.

1 Like

Here is a picture 8 days in for me.

Going good so far I think besides me having some trouble the other day transplanting.

2 Likes

They look like there enjoying there new home brother. Just be careful when watering, it’s easy to get carried away.

1 Like