Auto verses photoperiod

I am thinking about doing autoflowers for my next grow but I am wondering if it is worth my time, or should I just stick to growing the photoperiod way ?

I like doing both. Stick A Auto in with the photos and Let it do its thing its got a mind of its own. It should finish a little earlier get it out of the way. Stick with the light schedule for the photos. Enjoy your grow.

2 Likes

Anything that you enjoy growing is worth your time! I certainly wouldn’t want to dissuade you from giving them a try but I much prefer photos because I like the control I have over them. Currently am finishing up a grow where I did a auto with three photos like kellydans suggested above and my photos got out of hand before my auto finished up. I also like to take cuttings which is lost ( for the most part) with autos. You can’t decide what you personally prefer until you have done both I suppose :wink:

1 Like

@Gardenguy I agree I much prefer photos For the same reasons you mentioned. To me the autos just a little extra bonus if I can squeeze one in and get it out before the photos explode.

1 Like

@kellydans I tend to fail to maintain a short enough plant and because I don’t like using plant yo-yo or attaching to anything other than the bucket I am growing in ( because I forget and rip branches off) my plants end up falling all over the place. My sweet spot for veg is about two months and have never had a auto finish in less than three

1 Like

I only grow Photos as you can control them aka how long to Veg and flower. Autos do what they want, when they want. I’ll be throwing in two Autos with the plant I plant to make as a Super Monster indoors.

1 Like

My light just came on here is the mess I currently have going on

the plant in the back has the biggest buds but has totally failed to hold up the weight

2 Likes

I also have never had a auto finish less than 3 months I’ve had some Northern Light Autos go for 16 weeks. It’s looking favorable To get a Girl Scout cookie extreme auto In and out in 12 weeks.

If that is a mess, then don’t look at mine. Yours is organized and clean. :+1:

2 Likes

Very nice. Looking good.

1 Like

I’m an auto grower.
They both have advantages so it would depend on what works best for you.
Photos you can manipulate as you see fit alot more, you can choose to grow much bigger plants but they are also much hungrier (Imo less efficient to be honest) and have a longer turn around time due to their length of grow. Growing from clones is ideal but then until you know your favourite strain most of us want to try all these strains and grow alot of stuff from seed.

With my autos I’m gone away alot and my wifey does alot of the plant care, we FIM some and some we just leave them to grow as is. Autos grow faster if you give them the right conditions and they have a turn around time of 3 months/11 or 12 weeks, Durring that time you don’t spend time pruning them and that means less maintance.
This combined with autopots is a wicked system.

Autos are more expensive up front for seed cost and some complain that they do their own thing but to be honest It depends on your breeders genetics and if your getting good auto genetics they are autos and do the auto thing right. New genetics are reaching big yeilds and high thc content.

If you like to spend time in your garden every day, plant train, SCOG, prune, and you know what strain you like then grow a mother and grow clones out. If you want a fast turn around, less time in your garden/ more hands off approach and are still exploring strains grow autos. Imo

1 Like

Yee pick Good Genitik and big yeilder in auto is good,to do Auto.