Any veggie, fruit or flower growers here to? GROW YOUR OWN FOOD!

Nice! Where do you find the time to upkeep all that? :laughing:

2 Likes

@noddykitty1
Nice, sounds like you have some land.

2 Likes

More beans today :yum:

7 Likes

4ft tree, first year. One peach and its perfect.

Have grown veggies or been around veggies 55 yrs. First year cannabis, now have cloned most of wife plants, crepe myrtled, etc, finally experimented with undercarriage trimmings of ladies.

Learning we dont have to buy the same plant one time, cloning does the rest.

8 Likes

Nice, I bet that is the tastiest peach you have had all year. All of mine still a bit green.
But the cherries are perfect now.

6 Likes

Goals :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Arkansas black from the nursery pic.

7 Likes

@Highgrow
I just saw a video about them wanting everyone to register your gardens. First time hearing about that since you mentioned it. Crazy world we live in now.
I don’t think so. The less they know the better off we are.

2 Likes

Yeah although i havent been able to find an “official” report on it, i dont doubt its true :sweat_smile:

1 Like

How do you come about these for root stock?
If a crabapple tree is spotted can the new spring growth be rooted?

1 Like

Air mounding low branches; or better sucker branches coming from the roots make the best root stock. Nurseries that sell rootstock litterally cut off the tree trunk to make it sucker. Then those sucker roots are what you buy as root stock from a nursery. To attach your grafts. This is called “stooling” a tree to make it a dedicated mother rootstock doner.

If you take sap wood (new green growth not woody) right to where it gets woody (last years growth); that’s the best for rooting cuttings. Scrape the cut ends like a marchmallow stick to expose the cambium. That’s where callusing and roots will grow. This method is about 10% successful so take a bunch extra cutting. I have soaked them in water till roots (100 days) and done it in promix. Both take about 100 days. Most will die. You can fit about 100 terminal ends in a 5gallon bucket half full of water; or cut holes to well drain it half full of promix. If you don’t use promix or similar high porosity brand you want a high sand content in your mix for good drainage. Basically you get the cuttings after they leaf out and drop blossoms. You won’t know if they take until the next spring in the soil. . In the water move them to soil one you see 1” long roots start.

Grafts are done best right as the trees wake up in the spring. Right at budswell to just leafing out. After flower drop. The scions (cuttings to graft on from proven tree, or tree you like) you take mid winter while dormant. Then you keep them dormant in a bag in the fridge. So you graft dormant scion/cutting to waking up tree. Up to temps getting above 75f then it’s too hot to graft cuttings.

Apples are by far the easiest to graft.

3 Likes

Wealth of information, thank you.
Read once. Re read later today and saved :+1::cowboy_hat_face:
Thank you @noddykitty1 and that brought up half a dozen more questions :grin::crazy_face:

4 Likes

@noddykitty1. How does, or what is the proper way to clone crepe myrtles and honey suckle vines. New place, humming birds need more vines here.

Please and thank you
2 Likes

Fantastic set up! I also have a nice orchard, and have several crabapple trees for pollinators but also for making ciders and jellies. I would recommend Dolgo (Dolga in some nurseries) as a cross pollinator. It makes THE BEST crabapple jelly in the world. Most of my apple trees are from seeds where I have found them sprouted in apples from my northern trees. In fact, most of my trees have been found sprouted in fruit and put in the ground–all my peach trees, most of my apples, and the plum tree. All in all about 25 trees in my yard and about 8 producing.

5 Likes

To carry over the convo with @noddykitty1 , i am also a huge gardener. However, most of my yard is now given to the orchard, so most of my veg are in containers this year until I tear out the driveway. I’ll have to get some photos, but have currently my potatoes in cut whiskey barrels almost ready for harvest from sprouts of organic baby spuds, 10 mint plants, 4 parsleys, a sage and some strawberries in the front yard…about 20 tomatoes, 15 peppers, zucchini, candy roasters, and cukes in the ground under trees, all told about 8 peach trees, about 15 apple trees(have some babies in pots still trying to make it in the big time), 3 plums, and cherry blossom tree for the friends in the front yard. I would LOVE a paw-paw tree. Gotta find one.

4 Likes

@TransplantedFarmgirl , Have you tried any of the prunus hybrids yet? They are amazing.

Plumcots. (Apricot x plum)
Pluerry ( plum x cherry)
Peachy plum (peach x plum
Peacotum ( peach x apricot x plum)
Nectaplum (nectarine x plum)

My coolest new tree this year is a Nadia cherry plum. Not a cherry x plum hybrid. It’s prunus Americana crosssd to prunus cerasifera aka myrobalan plum. So plum on plum hybrid that happens to taste just like a cherry. I took a while to track down.

Do you graft? I would be glad to mail you some scions for your orchard this dormant season. Trading scions is how my collection grow massively. Fruit cut traders are just like cannabis cut traders. The parallels are amazing.

Also, if you like apples and peaches I bet you would like jujube. I have been convinced myself by fruit gromies that it is a worthy tree.
Here is a video made by a jujube fan on another site I visit.

4 Likes

@Mosca, honey suckle vines root very easy. You should have no problem. It roots in water (tip cuttings) and in soil. It usually takes about 3 weeks. If you have a vine all ready, you could also burry (mound) soil over a cut off leaf node. Being careful to not cut the vine, just the leaf off. You can do this every 12-14 inches and have a pile of small starts quickly after you cut the vine off after rooting.

I got nothing on crepe myrtles, but university of Georgia has a good write up on propagating them. Hilariously, they talk more about not cutting patented varieties than taking the actual cutting. Here is the relevant part. Seems doable too.

Crape myrtle is easily propagated from semi-hardwood cuttings taken during the growing season. June, July and August are excellent times to root cuttings. Take cuttings from new growth of the season, leaving three to four nodes per cutting and several leaves. Rooting hormone is generally not necessary, and cuttings should root in three to four weeks. Place cuttings in a well-drained rooting medium in a shaded area and keep them moist by enclosing them in a clear plastic bag.

4 Likes

Hot poker lilys are supposed to great for hummingbirds. @DEEPDIVERDAVE gifted me a couple after teaching me about them. My local green hummingbirds like them a lot. You may think about getting one of those too.

9 Likes

:heart_eyes: they are beautiful, looked like candycorns. I will report progress on honey suckles and others.
Lots of storms past month, hummers gone after first hail storm, alas, a purple throat male came by. We get the green calosopies sp as our normal homers. Our exotics are stop byers during migrations and storms.

The selling point on undeveloped country property i used to the wife, its her palette to create. Lots of seed to get for fall seeding and sprigs.

Thanks for all this, will get the wife to read also.

3 Likes

My poker plants, look dry and used.
Either flowering is past or they got too dry while I visited Mouse House and family these past few weeks. Illinois green store visit accomplished and brought some to family gathering.
Lost some yard plants, too dry or rabbit food. Looks like four or five weed plants survived.
Some were re-veging applicants and some were just plain little and young.

2 Likes