Advice on germination (Banana Kush Auto)

Hi all, first post here. I’m trying my hand again at indoor hydro. I’m not a grower, and tried once many years ago in an RV without good ventilation and in a hot state. Nough said there.

I dropped two BK Autos in water about 36 hours ago. One has a nice taproot I would think in pluggable now (put into a Root Riot plug.) The other has yet to pop. I’m wondering if I should leave them both until they both pop, or should I go ahead and plug the one with a taproot?

Thanks, I await your feedback.

2 Likes

I would plant the one that has sprouted and wait on the other one but be prepared for it to not sprout…welcome to growing

3 Likes

I would definately go ahead and plant the one that has sprouted.
Happy growing!

@JimWantsToGrow welcome to the forum, I would also plant the seed with the taproot when it gets to be around 3/4” long.

MoFo

Thank you @4204life , @MoFo , and @Retiredoldguy for your feedback. I’ll get my dome and heat pad ready then.

Any advise on the heat setting for my pad? I’m going to have it inside my grow tent. I plan on lighting it at 20% with a 200W LED.

My setup is the AC Infinity 2x4x72 with the 6" in-line with carbon, an 8" Osc Fan, 2 DWC Buckets, and a 4.5L cool mist humidifier all running under the Controller 69 Pro. My aim is to maintain at 72F & RH-based on grow cycle.

Thanks again all.

1 Like

Plant the one that is sprouted. I have taken tweezers and sort of squeezed seeds at the ends to slightly open them if they didn’t crack within 24hrs. I do not recommend it. Not at all. But I’ve done it two or three times and it worked.

@JimWantsToGrow

For a heat pad for the seedlings I had the best results with 70 degrees minimum it can be higher. I had issues when lower.

1 Like

Back to provide an update.

I’ve dropped a total of five BKA seeds now for germination.

The first two are dead. Both germinated, but then died in rockwool. I’m pretty sure I let it dry out.
The next two, only one germinated and it is thriving as a seedling currently under 74 degree conditions at 70%RH.

I dropped one last BKA two days ago, and this morning it has a small taproot. I should be able to plug this one tomorrow and put it in the tent with the one from batch #2. They are about a week apart. Should that matter much with Autoflower?

Welcome aboard from a covert state and a fellow rv shower room grower.

My first ever grow started sept. 2022, currently on 3rd grow.

Found grow journal from fellow W. Texan, dry, very hot, and was growing banana kush. @Hellraiser

Just so happens Banana Kush autos for our first.

The banana kush is a smooth, flavor is like fresh banana, cured in grove bag, smells like fresh cut banana bread. A smooth, very sneaky high.

We have mostly high thc fruity strains, 2nd grow was wedding cake and runtz, both worth growing. This current grow has Dos-Si-Do and Purple Punch and another Banana Kush all ilgm beans.

We have grown 3 bk, avg 4ft with some training to keep down due to height limits. They average 4 solid zips each, not counting fluffy lower buds.

We over 60, and like you, we found this place with zero experience. Welcome to the community, cant wait to see your grow take off.

2 Likes

Thank you @Mosca for the warm welcome and great feedback.

Quick question for you, if I may, do you top your Autoflower or just LST?

2 Likes

We bent the main cola down with 12 inch pipe cleaners.

Lots of opinions on topping autos. They, autos are on preset clock, you do not get that grow time back if you top.

We defoilated once flowering began, removed inner fan leaves so the light can penatrate further down inside and allows good air flow.

Lots of great peeps that do LST with great results, we just learning and doing baby steps with good results.

@Mosca thank you again. I see many options on topping autos. I think I’ll do a test. Since I have two growing, I’ll top and lst one and just lst the other one. Baby steps. :wink:

1 Like

Good luck, one thing that doesnt come with the magic bean, patience :wink: :+1:

Theres a smile that comes with your first.

Im smiling for ya.

1 Like

Ive grown Banana Kush Auto last year. Actually harvested Dec of last year because i grew it as a Xmas present for a buddy.

@ChittyChittyBangin that’s a sweet looking cola! I only can hope.

1 Like

I wanted to circle back, now that she is in full bloom. It all started with advise right here.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Are you smiling? :star_struck: beautiful gro brother. Take a bow. :100:

2 Likes

Smiling daily my friend. :smile:

1 Like

Did you top one? If so, did you draw any conclusions.

Frosted and very gorgeous :heart_eyes: ladies wearing the bling nicely.

Actually I topped them both. The one on the right is about 2.5 weeks behind the main one.

Now BKA1, the left, got topped, broke off a main branch a couple of weeks in, cut off several potential bud sites while “pruning.” OMG, I put this poor girl through HELL. I finally said the hell with trying to baby her, I’m too heavy handed. That’s why I am moving to an RDWC on the next grow under a SoG. No topping or pruning/defoliation on the SoG.

I also started adding Armor Si last week, OMG I wish I had done it from the start. The plants seem so much heartier now.

OH! Conclusion on topping. I will do it every grow that is not a SoG. And then after my first one, who knows.

Topping Autos? 100% yes! (Just make sure you have the room. She spread open like a …

1 Like