Activated Carbon Filtration for CBD Tinctures?

Question??? So Chlorophyll in my tincture. Bad taste, terrible color, research shows activated carbon (charcoal) will remove chlorophyll and a bit of a myth that potency is reduced due to this. Though there are conflicting data from growers/farmers, scientific data shows there is very little loss from this process so this is what I need to purify my green dragon tincture to a nice amber that I can add to MCT oil once winterized and alcohol evaporated.
So, what at home product of activated carbon filtration can I purchase to do this? Needs to be 20 micron or less… A link to an item would be great as there are millions from tap filtration, fridge filtration, etc. All the things I don’t want!
@Carpenter - Referred to tag @CoyoteCody @ChebaMang @Covertgrower

3 Likes

Have not tried it, I use the qwet method and end up with some nice amber liquid.

Thanks, I am looking for a full spectrum high potency which is why I am going through a lot of time and trouble to get it right. Heard of activated carbon sheets on a scientific website but it had no links. Do you know what your potency is on the QWET?

1 Like

Two things I did different this year.

I dried my bud for at least 4 days and started QWET.

2 Likes

Appreciate that, my bud was already optimally dry as it came from Plain Jane. It is impossible to buy Suver Haze and Sour Space Candy seeds but the flower can be purchased. So it was dry, I assume you decarbed it?

2 Likes

No knowledge of trying it. Could always try it and see.

1 Like

Overwhelming the knowledge it takes to do this stuff. I can see why companies charge so much for these products.

1 Like

I think I will go with a Buchner Filtration and pair it with activated charcoal, down the road that is.

2 Likes

No idea on potency, it kicks my behind, and my tolerance is not what you would call low.

This is the result of a quick walk and then re freeze and filter. Nice amber I still have to recover the alcohol and I did the qwet so I can make some carts. Was also able to resoak the material I strained for a couple days and got the rest of the thc out to use for other things. I would be interested in seeing if carbon filtering will be worth the expense and trouble. If you pursue this please share a lot of us would like to see how it works out.

1 Like

I’m super late to this party but first time experimenting and I took my green dragon and put activated hardwood charcoal powder into some of it and then ran it through the Büchner funnel and it came out looking clear crystal yellow but I might have let it soak in charcoal too long because after the evaporation of the alcohol the amount of oil was 1/10th what it was with just filtered green dragon I was hoping for a amber RSO I will try soaking it in charcoal for less time I let it sit and agitated it for 20 minutes and I think it grabbed some of the resins and fats and that’s why there was such a difference in yield.