About to Switch to Flower, tent's in basement, worried about mold

My 4x4 tent is set up in my basement. I’m about to switch to flower and I’m worried about mold developing at some point. I’m especially worried because we used to store wood down there to burn in a wood stove. we no longer do that and haven’t in a couple years but there is still some wood debris and a lot of dust. I know that Humidity and airflow have a big effect on mold development. My tent is pretty sealed up. Im thinking of installing the Carbon filter as a filter for the Air coming into the tent. also because im worried about frying my fan lol.

Basically im wondering if I should Spray my plants with Bergman’s Mold Shield a couple days before starting flower. What to Ya’ll think? Does anyone have any similar experience?

Mold is very treatable with peroxide. As far as prevention - keeping humidity in check and airflow high are very effective.

Welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

thank you! and thank you for the fast reply.

1 Like

any tips on mite prevention? Thats also a huge worry of mine with being in the basement. I do have the Bug Blaster but idk if thats for prevention also or just to treat it once theyre there.

1 Like

Capt Jack’s Deadbug is effective against critters during all growth stages.

1 Like

I promise I’m not trying to be a smart eleck, no matter what my ole lady says. :laughing: But IMO, clean and sanitize the basement. IF you have enough room, build a room around the tent to act as a lung room. The smaller room around the tent is easier to control the environment than the whole basement. The tent needs to breath and have airflow. A small lung room you can use a dehumidifier so the tent is drawing dry air.

1 Like

thank you for your input. I do plan on cleaning the entire basement, I was just trying to wait until after this grow. the tent was a real pain to get up, just fit. lol And its going to be quite the project. The Lung Room is a good idea though. would also help me get the temp up . its been cool down there. like 62 to 66

1 Like

LOL, I have the opposite problem, I need a smaller area to keep cool. I rarely see freezing temps. I’m jealous. :slightly_smiling_face:

High humidity and carbon filters don’t go together. The higher the RH the filter sees, the shorter the life of the activated carbon.

I second a thorough cleaning/disinfecting of the room the tent is in. And peroxide is your friend for mold (white powdery mildew or WPM). A small amount on leaves is common and can be removed at harvest via a bud wash. Many of us do this to assure the cleanest smoke possible.

You can’t have too much airflow. I have 3 big fans in my 4 X 8 space with a 6" AC/Infinity exhaust fan.

2 Likes

damn washing it sounds like a process lol. thank u though. good to know theres an option if needed. can I use peroxide as a preventative measure? and what if I put the carbon filter outside the tent? but hooked up as an intake filter? that way it filters the incoming air but is outside of the high humidity that is inside the tent. I’m just trying to get through this grow without any problems. trying to prevent as best i can. I do plan on cleaning the ENTIRE basement after this grow. just worried about mites and mold until then

Are you able to create positive pressure in your tent? If you have access to a cool source of air outside of your basement you could run a duct with an inline fan from an area outside the basement to the tent. Then adjust that fan to blow ever so slightly more than what is exhausted to slightly “inflate” your tent with light pressure. Ideally you would also have an exhaust duct with inline fan to help move air up and out. Nothing will enter your tent that does not first come through your intake. A 1/4" thick piece of carbon padding at the entrance of the intake will ensure air comes in clean.

Below are some pics on my setup. =)

Intake vent inside my house goes through wall to garage where my tent is. Pulls cool air from house.

Duct on other side of wall with inline fan enters the tent.

Duct on inside of tent places the cool air at the bottom.

Filter with 4" fan exhausts warm air out the top of tent.

So yea, if you are worried about your grow space air (lung room) being of poor quality this may be a good option for you. Hope this helps!

1 Like