1 one week-old plant is not happy in 6-position a flood & drain, bucket rig is not happy

Hey Folks,
I can’t figure this one out
I started this grow a week agoMoby Dick Auto grow in Flood and drain Buckets

One of the six young girls is drooping and has been for the last 24 hours. I noticed that I had a vent flap open at that position. I have active air feed into the tent so I closed it. It hasn’t made a difference. They are all fed from the same reservoir

Has anyone experienced anything like this? They were doing so well, I tossed my backup

Thanks for reading my post.

2 Likes

This is my white -widow auto flower. 18 days in from seed. Definitely need air and nutrients

1 Like

Can you provide a picture and your system. I use a ebb and flow system that floods twice a day for thirty minutes at a time.

4 Likes

I run that setup as well but I flood right before lights on and every 4 hrs lights on for 30min :green_heart::metal:t2:

1 Like

StonedCold13
John7
Rhett
Thanks for your input. I took some Pics.
This 1st one is the plant in question.

This next one is representative of all the rest of them.

I do plan to feed them 4 times a day when the roots are well established in the hydroton.

1 Like

I believe you should be feeding them in clay first day. It has no nutrients and plants have to have it to live happy. I found this on line, The appearance of the first true leaves throughout this week signals that your seedlings are ready for additional nutrients. They will need these nutrients in order to maintain the new tissue that they have created and to allow your plants to create even more roots. When I put my seedlings in clay in the beginning they are getting nutrients. However this is debated. Depending on what you read

2 Likes

@John7

Thanks for your reply!

I mixed a light nutrient mix because they were less than a week old. I read that autos prefer a lighter nutrient mix General Hydroponics CaliMagic, FloraMicro, FloraBloom, and FloraGro to a 400ppm Ph 5.9.

There is something else I forgot to mention. Every day the pH jumps up .4 - .5 and I adjust it down to near 6.0.

I will be mixing a fresh res in a few days. In the meantime, I’ll add a little Micro and Grow to this res to see what happens.

Thanks again. Your input is most appreciated.

1 Like

Maybe try hand/top watering that one today :person_shrugging:t2:
I’ve had some youngins when I put in the table not quite get flooded till their roots drop a little. But I’m on tables and not familiar with buckets :green_heart::metal:t2:

2 Likes

@StonedCold13, @John7, @Rhett

I did forget to mention that I top-feed that one using a spray bottle this morning. I also raised the water level another 1"

Much Thanks

1 Like

Hydro turns around fast so hopefully by this eve she perks back up for ya :green_heart::metal:t2:
Not sure how much you can really water with a spray bottle? And don’t hit the leaves with lights on :wink:
I’d take a glass full of nute water and pour right around her :cowboy_hat_face::+1:t2:

2 Likes

@StonedCold13

Going to do this right now.

1 Like

Here are pics of each of the 6 seedlings

This is the unhappy girl

Here are the other 4

This is the unhappy girl

1 Like

Without disturbing roots to much, can you get all the plugs lower like the 2nd to last pic? :green_heart::metal:t2:

@StonedCold13

Those plugs that you see were add-ons after they sprouted and stretched too far. There are no roots in them. They are just supporting those long stems.

Sometimes pots don’t fill properly. Mine is a gravity feed system. But it appears, it’s droopy due to lack of water. But healthy looking I believe she will perk right up. I forgot did you use rock wool to put germinated seeds in?

1 Like

@John7

I used GH rapid rooters to germinate in. They don’t hold as much water as rock wool but they do hold water. I may have the water too high. I hadn’t thought about the fact that I raised the level in the buckets, thinking that they had enough roots in the clay that I couldn’t drown them by saturating the rapid rooters. These girls only sprouted 11 days ago

1 Like

Hey folks

I checked the water level in the buckets and increased the nutrient concentration by 200 ppm. I also augmented the tank with 60 ml of 3% H2o2.

In 4 days I will change the reservoir to a higher nute concentration of 900 - 1000 ppm. I am trying to maintain pH of 6 which should be easier at the higher nute concentration. It continues to rise inexplicably.

Everyone’s help is much appreciated.
I need all the help I can get

1 Like

@StonedCold13
@John7
@Rhett
Good news

It appears that the stressed plant is beginning to recover. Here are a before and after pic. The bottom leaves still have a curl to them but those leaf stems are not drooping like before yesterday.

Here is one taken this morning,

I hate that these auto plants took such a hit so early.
I hope it doesn’t affect the yield too much.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

2 Likes

I hope your plant continues to improve. Autos are funny you just never no what they are going to do.

1 Like