Yellow/Brown spots!

I’m a first-time grower, and this site has been SO helpful in getting me and my girls to week one of flowering. After yesterday’s feeding, I notice today that one of my two Gold Leaf plants has these spots appearing on the leaves.
What causes this??
*** Planted in Fox Farm Ocean Forest, PH maintained at 6.0-6.3, used Hydroguard regularly, and for the FIRST time every, added Fox Farm “Open Sesame.” To be used,“…during early flowering and ripening…”
I don’t know… I was attracted to the packaging! :joy::joy: Anyway, I just noticed this…“5-45-19”
Is this too much phosphorus??
My Super Silver Haze and OTHER Gold Leaf are fine. What’s happening to my plant?
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum @DD214
If my memory serves me correct that’s the form used for separation from military service.

From the spots on the leaves it could be splash from watering or it could be from pests/bugs sucking juices from the leaves. Take a look at the bottom side of them with a magnifying device to see if you can spot any critters or associated poop or eggs.

Could be other things as well but I’m still learning.

Let me tag a few others that have mucho more experience than I to tale a look at the pics.

@Mrcrabs @garrigan62 @Budbrother

5 Likes

I looks like a calcium deficiency, let see what other have to say about it, is it one plant all over or just a gew leaves?

5 Likes

Thank you. I was just checking, and it’s just that plant, and right now, mid-to-lower part of the plant, and a handful of leaves. My other two plants, seem fine. Again, I’m an …“old-timer,” but a first-time grower. They’ve made it this far in spite of me, and I’ve become attached, so I’d hate to lose one! :joy::joy:

I checked closely, and no sign of insects moving in. I was afraid that the phosphorus level of the supplement I fed them yesterday, was too high…But the others are okay???
Thanks!

If its just a few no need to worry my friend, sometimes they uptake lots of calcium during flowering not all plants are the same and react the same, plants look lovley btw

1 Like

Mg deficiency causes those spots. 1 tsp/gal Epsom Salt

5 Likes

I’ll continue to update. Thank you!

Thanks @Budbrother :+1:

Agree with @Budbrother and @Mrcrabs. Always dealing with this during flower. Not because I’m not giving them any but because the soil starts drifting to 6.2 range locking out cal and mag.

So is it best to add a bit of cal mag @BobbyDigital? I assumeed it was calcium when it happened to me but i added black soilder fly castings, i know there high in calcium, but might have mg in them also, problem went away, i need to do more research on my castings, thanks buddy

I give cal mag every water day. But with the soil not budging from 6.2 it’s not doing much. Noticed better results foliar spraying ph’d at 6.8 than fighting this damn soil. Watering now to see if I can get the soil ph up. I just flushed a week or two ago and really don’t feel like doing that again, lol.

@BobbyDigital @Budbrother @DD214 theses are the macro nutrients

This explains it a bit better, mine eat everything under the sun fellas, but it still lack mg, and my soil mix has espom salt right on @Budbrother

4 Likes

DD214,

Welcome to ILGM and to our awesome community in which I see you have already met a few of the boy’s

Anyway your problem is >>>>A MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF PIC’S

brown%20spots%2301

1514120219_hqdefault

A magnesium deficiency, as manganese deficincies are mostly characterized
by interveinal chlorosIis which is a yellowing of the leaves between the
veins with the veins remaining green. The browning spots is called marginal
necrosis which is usually caused by a calcuim or magnesium deficiency.

A magnesium deficiency can be quickly resolved by watering with 1 tablespoon
Epsom salts/gallon of water. Until you can correct nutrient lockout, try foliar
feeding. That way the plants get all the nitrogen and Mg they need. The plants
can be foliar fed using ½ teaspoon/quart of Epsom salts (first powdered and
dissolved in some hot water). When mixing up soil, use 2 teaspoon dolomite lime
per gallon of soil.
If the starting water is above 200 ppm, that is pretty hard water, that will
lock out mg with all of the calcium in the water. Either add a 1/4 teaspoon per
gallon of epsom salts or lime (both will effectively reduce the lockout or invest
into a reverse osmosis water filter.
Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen. Don’t overdo Mg or
you’ll lock up other nutrients.

Calcium deficiencies are difficult to distinguish visually as excess calcium may
produce deficiencies in magnesium and potassium.

1 Like

Ive found that bsfl have small % of mg, @garrigan62 but i grow very uncoventional @DD214 stick to wat these felkas advise, thanks Garrigan65

1 Like

@garrigan62 i found it , I’m guessing that’s why the bsfl I use has been working as cal-mag supplements

1 Like

How are you doing my friend?. I have decided to get into the Hemp business. Should be interesting to say the least. lol

1 Like

Doing fine, I just went hard on research, trying to stay organic as possible, been working with bsfl for years now, I’ve noticed that plants stay healthier with bsfl frass, loving my organic world, truly admire your intelligence and advice, that’s why I warned ahead to wait for you or bud brother before taking action, good luck on your new venture.
Should I cut back on epsom salt, I’ve seen ill effects when combined with insects frass, I’ve been using less and less? Or should I cut back on insect frass and use recommend epsom salt, since it’s high in calcium and mighty be causing mag deficiency lockout, like pick above @garrigan62

2 Likes

My thinking, use only your frass. There is probably enough unusable (not yet broken down) Mg. When and if you ever start seeing white spots appearing, then give em a lil bit of Epsom to resolve the issue.

This I only my opinion @Mrcrabs and I would wait to see what @garrigan62 has to say.

1 Like