Thinking about the big flip

Hey all! Im getting to the point in this grow where im starting to think about flipping to flower soon, im hoping to go 7 weeks in veg, and we are coming up on week 5 in 3 days, so the goal for now is to flip in 17 days on 2/7, however i know the plant will atleast double in size once the flip is made, its only about a foot tall right now (total closer to 2 feet without training) so if my plant grows another foot in the next 2 weeks, am i really gonna end up with a 6 foot tall plant? I have a 7 foot tall grow room with a ventilation system and obviously grow lights, so maybe 5 feet of safely usable space and im growing in a 14 gallon tote hydro system that is probably like a foot tall itself, its seeming i may want to be starting my flip a little sooner than expected, but id like to go as long as possible in veg, what do you all think?

4 Likes

If your vent fan is up over the lights, you can always move it outside the tent and pull the air out. That’ll give you almost another foot of headroom, depending on exhaust fan/filter size. It looks like you have plenty of room to keep bending the branches down to allow for more horizontal growth. This will allow the inner branches to turn into colas. That’s what I’d do. The flip date is kind of a taget, but the plants growth rate and recovery rate from stress training can change that. She looks great, keep up the good work! Happy growing!!!

3 Likes

She has been absolutely non stop growing since day 1, seems like everyday when i come home from work she looks completely different from when i left, i will get those branches bent further down! I just get so nervous, seems like i take 45 minutes per branch when im doing the lst, because im scared of snapping a branch or something, if i move my ventilation system out of the tent do i set it up opposite of inside the tent? I have a 6" inline ductfan and carbon filter, i have much much thinner, not to mention way higher quality lights coming on monday, i pulled the trigger on a set of 2 of the spider farmer SF1000s to get me by until i can get the SF4000, the sf1000s will be replacing the 3 $40 lights i got from walmart that i dont even know the brand of (working surprisingly well through veg, not risking flowering with them though) id love to end off with a huge 5-6 foot plant!

3 Likes

Don’t we all lol. You can’t be too careful. Sometimes, around midway up the branch, growers will give a little pinch to soften the inner tissue, while being careful not to break the outer layer. Like bending a mcdonalds straw still in the wrapper, but not breaking the wrapper.

You want it to pull the air from the tent.
Hose - exhaust fan (vacuum) - filter

3 Likes

Plants look great you can always leave the Walmart lights in along with the spider farmers

3 Likes

I was going to say for 5 or 6’ tall plants, they’d probably be handy for supplemental lighting further down the plants.

1 Like

I heard about this, this heals and makes a strong knuckle that makes the branch stronger correct?

Will do!

Ill leave them in clipped to the sides of my tent close to the base, ill buy one more so i can hit all four sides from the bottom as well

1 Like

Not necessarily, some strains stretch more than others. I’d do some research and see what people are saying about your strain.

Yes, push the air through the carbon filter.

Not what you want indoors. Your light is only going to penetrate a couple feet into the canopy, anything below that mark would be larf bud.

2 Likes

I have never had a plant actually double in size. I view it more as a worse case situation and something that needs to be considered.
If space is really a concern 8 week veg is not a must. Go a little earlier. Or do compensating LST, supercrop, drop a net etc.
I will be flipping a plant today (day 57). She is 13-14" above soil. I’ll see where she is at in 3 weeks. This is from 3 days earlier

5 Likes

I have had a few that doubled or nearly doubled. They were autos and were always less than 24" when “hedgehogs” appeared.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the info, im at work right now so replies will be a little slow, i will keep training to keep the height down and continue to aim for that 7 week mark! Next week (week 6) i think i will be adding foxfarm open sesame to the feeding schedule! So i can make the flip on week 7, its crazy how much information you can get that sounds legit then you realize its not necessarily true so quickly! I definitely trust all of you more than i do my own internet research :laughing:

You will find what works for you. I think I can speak for most everyone one this forum. We are here to help in whatever way we can. I did a little more work on the plant pictured above and sent her to flower today Afghan to close 2022

2 Likes

I trained it down as low as i could, the way my tote is i cant get the ties to be able to tie straight down, i have to bring them down and tie them to the sides of the tote, so theyre angled pretty good and not allowing me to go much passed 90 degrees, but i did my best for now and will try to figure out a good solution to train it better

3 Likes

I got them trained a little further passed 90 degrees, ive added a picture pointing out the two main stocks

2 Likes