Soil and Nutes Oh My

Just looking for some recommendations, I’ve read and researched so much about different soils and I was looking to get some feedback. I’m doing a indoor grow of Zkittles Autoflower and I was wondering what the best option for soil would be. Is there a nutrient rich pre-mixed soil that would require little to no additional nutrients added throughout the grow period? Or I’m reading a lot about Coco Coir and Perlite mixtures, if I went that rout what would my additional nutrients look like. Thanks everyone :peace_symbol:

2 Likes

For soil I like fox farm happyfrog. It will get you 4 or maybe 5 weeks then you’ll have to start adding nutes. If you go coco you’ll be watering/feeding almost every day

2 Likes

You can check out Nothing but autos for Capt. Cola in coco! using autopot system. A lot of auto growers stopped by and you can look them up for their journals if they have any

4 Likes

I’ve been looking at the Fox Farm products and I’m wondering if there is a benefit to the Happy Frog soil over the Ocean Forest soil. And thoughts on that?

2 Likes

ocean forest will have more nutrients in the soil compared to happy frog out of the bag. it might be too much for sprouts, but would be a great choice for transplanting.

3 Likes

Also some will layer ocean forest in the bottom 1/2 or a little more and happyfrog on top. This gives the seedling a little time before it grows into the hotter oceanforest

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag @beardless. To answer your question the benefit of happy frog is that’s not as nutrient rich as the ocean forest and is often kinder to seedlings. A lot of growers including myself would use a combination of both. I would use ffof to fill most of the pot. Take a cup put it in the middle of the soil and fill the pot the rest of the way. Then when you take the cup out you fill that spot with happy frog. Kinda get what I mean. You will probably make it 3-4 weeks before needing nutes. Some will say longer but I found if you start a low dose a little earlier then when the plant shows signs it likes it. This grow im using coco with auto pots. Coco has no nutes added and nutes need to be used almost immediately. I went with Jack’s because of the results I have seen and the ease of use. Coco is also a daily watering medium. It is really a personal preference on what to use. Both will grow great plants however I am leaning towards coco being a better grow medium for me. I will know more after a couple grows in coco.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your feedback, my only other question pertaining to this topic is, at what point will I know that nutrients need to be introduced to the soil?

The best way to know is get some runoff and check the ppm numbers after about three weeks of veg. Under 1000 start feeding!

Greeting and welcome 2 the community. My suggestion because of my results and how easy it really is. Coast of maine bar Harbor Blend soil, and Jack’s 321 your best option

I think @SilvaBack203 has the best suggestion. Only thing I don’t like about that blend is the peat. That being said paired with jacks it’ll avoid a lot of headaches. Not a fan of FF products anymore as their quality control is lacking severely, and every bag of soil is different in terms of ph and nutrient content, but I know some get good results with it.

2 Likes

Promix hp

Coco and Jack’s 321. No guess work. You feed full strength from day 0 to harvest.

2 Likes

FFOF is loaded more than the HF. Most will do a mix, putting ⅓ ocean floor at the bottom and happy frog on top. This way, by the time the roots hit the OF, the plants are a little bigger and can handle the heavier load in the ocean floor

1 Like

Happy cannaversary! I too am in coco! It’s not for everyone though :joy:

1 Like

Coco definitely ain’t 4 me. Some times I can’t c my girls

1 Like

I usually have trouble seeing mine after a couple of bowls also :rofl:

1 Like

that’s the beauty of autopots. you only have to fill a reservoir and you can do that 12 gallons at a time if you need to. you can even make a bigger tank if needed. allows you time away from the tent if need be.

don’t have to worry about under/over watering your plants either. the water is there and they drink what they need as they need it.

Oh I noticed. I’m following fee journals that they use