So I'm a little paranoid about the THC level. How do it know?

I have my buds tested at a lab for their THC CBD content. I know my buds are 11.257% THC and 4.315% CBD. I have read hundreds of edible recipes. I would like to start with lower, say 1 to 2.5 mg of THC in my edible. Yes I know if I make 24 cookies I’l have to divide the mg by the 24 but how do I get there? Do I make canna butter first? And how do I know what the mg level of the canna butter is? How do you figure this out? Is this being to picky?

5 Likes

I’m following along on this one!

1 Like

Every gram of flower contains 11 milligrams of THC and 4 of CBD. If recipe calls for 1/2 cup of butter for 24 cookies then then you only need 2.2 grams or so.

This is such a low dose that would be undetectable IMO for any effect from it.

Cocunut oil is a better oil for use in making butter and if not wanting psychoactive effects just omit decarboxylation.

As a comparison I do 20 oz of coconut oil along with 50 grams of high THC flower and an additional 80 grams or so of sugar leaf/larf.

If wanting a psychoactive effect it’s good to add some lecithin to the butter which helps your liver uptake the cannabinoids.

11 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Thank you. Remind me not to snack at your place, lol. I’m older and new to this. A long time ago, much younger, I had a not so good time with the bud. I’ve been reading, and growing a lot lately. Just want some feel good, not very psychoactive stuff. So to reiterate, if my recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of butter, I would make that much canna butter with 2.2 grams of flower? (if making 24 cookies) This seems easy, why am I making it so complicated? Maybe I need to do more? lol

2 Likes

I think my (stoner) math works out but might run it by a couple of folks. Think of it this way: if you want 1.1 mg of THC in each cookie then one gram will deliver 10. So; 2.2 to 2.5 grams should do it for you. I sincerely doubt you will notice that amount.

I’m old as well at 62 and have been smoking steadily for only about 4 years (since being a teenager lol). But I am ‘chronic’ so need something like 15 mg at bedtime for my sleep aid.

3 Likes

I’m just going to tag some of you that are here with some great recipes. Thanks for your input
@Enlightened420 @Missiles @shindig153 please tag others that are into the chef thing. Thanks.

2 Likes

@retirementJOB I’m another member of the oldtimers club and would appreciate seeing those recipes. Thanks!:sunglasses:

Hi :v: interesting topic since I am a mathematician :see_no_evil:
The fastest and better way to get there is to normalize. That means to extract all the THC from flowers so you will have approximately a material of 100% THC then to weigh it in grams. Is there a method to extract pure THC?

@GoodMafia I think if you had a lab or something you could extract and then would have to test to see what the level of THC is. Being a mathematician, we know what the THC level is on a flower that was lab tested. Assuming that all the plant, all flowers, sugar leaves have that same amount. I would think there would be an equation that would tell us how much plant to use that would infuse (x) mg. of THC. I’m just rambling but let’s put our heads together.

I dont have a copy but from what I’ve been told the Anarchist Cookbook has a good deal of info on dosage etc.

Ok not a big deal. Assuming that the THC is evenly distributed in your buds. As @Myfriendis410 mentioned a 1g as a sample contains 11% THC . Thus 1g/100 = x/11, x = 11/100 = 0.11g = 110 mg so in 1g of weed, you have 110 mg of pure THC if you need only 2.5 mg of THC, which is nothing, you should use 2.5/110 = 0.023 g of pure weed. Lol but you should also take into account the weigh of the cookies to calculate how much weed do you need to put it in the dough. It get a little bit complicated but still easy to calculate.

1 Like

I make brownies and even better no bake cookies spread out on a 13x9 pan. No bake bits is what I call them. I don’t make oil or butter. I get the best results using the decarded bud added directly into what I’m making. You can notice it in the brownies but hides pretty good with the oats in the no bake bites. The peanut butter helps hipe the marijuana taste.

I use 10 grams of bud for a 13x9 pan. I cut them into 1 inch squares. Roughly 96 pieces is what I end up with. Each piece is two doses for those new to edibles and a piece for me. I perfer a heavy indica because they are normally body based, relaxing and clear headed. The more sativa that’s in the bud the more confused I get.

4 Likes

I normally do brownies. The last batch was done with butter made from an alcohol extraction and you can not smell or taste cannabis in them. I have been very pleased with them. And I am definitely ‘chronic’.

4 Likes

@retirementJOB
thanks for the tag, taggin along for the party, I learned my recipes from @shindig153, but have picked up heaps of knowledge from @Blackthumbbetty also

Oh man, this got me all excited,
I would love to try some of your cook ups @Myfriendis410 they sound potent AH :grin:

3 Likes

I use the Better Homes and Gardens Cake Brownie recipe and use the special dark chocolate when I make em. They get immediately frozen and the pan quartered, bag-sealed and put back in freezer. I cut into 8 squares and my wife usually eats 1/2 of one and I eat a whole one about 8 p.m. If I get up in the night (2 a.m. or so) I’ll be very dry-mouthed. Usually sleep pretty well though.

4 Likes

I hope this is ok. I found this (long but great) post elsewhere from @garrigan62 And thought I would copy it and paste here.

hERE ARE A FEW I HAD ON FILE. hOPE IT’S WHAT YOUR LOOKING FOR.

One of the best and easiest ways to reap the benefits of cannabis is through edibles.
However, they do not come cheap. One cookie can cost anywhere from 5-10 dollars and
it’s not even fresh!

By making your own cannabutter, you get to control both the potency and taste of your
edibles, plus you’ll be saving money in the long run. Here are the ins and outs of
cannabutter and how to create your very own batch at home.

What is Cannabutter?

(Photo: Shutterstock)

Cannabutter (also known as weed, pot or marijuana butter) is simply butter that has
been infused with cannabis.

The cannabinoids, which are the medicinal ingredients of the plant, are located in
the cannabis flower itself stored in tiny, crystal-like structures called trichomes.
When you infuse cannabis with butter, the THC and CBD release into the butter leaving
you with a highly medicinal product.

Butter is recommended for this process because cannabinoids like THC are fat-soluble
and don’t mix well with water. Cannabinoids also require heat to be activated, which is
why you can’t use raw cannabis to make edibles.

Once you have a batch of cannabutter prepared, making edibles is easy. By using
cannabutter instead of normal butter, you can turn pretty much any recipe into a
marijuana-infused dish.

How It’s Made

(Photo: Shutterstock)

Cannabutter is typically made by simmering butter and cannabis on a low heat for
a few hours and then straining out the plant matter.

This method, which is what you typically find in every corner of the internet,
might be easy but will leave you with a product that is not properly dosed and
also tastes vaguely like dirt.

“You really want to enjoy your cookies but you also want to medicate,” says
JeffThe420Chef, author of cannabis cookbook The 420 Gourmet: The Elevated
Art of Cannabis Cuisine.

“What I learned early on is there were two things that people had issues with,
one was the taste …and the second issue (was) dosing.”

Jeff stresses the importance of cleaning the plant material before you begin
the infusion process, as it will leave you with a better tasting butter and
will also take out that ugly green colour that you don’t want in your final product.

“What you need to do is soak it in distilled water for 24-48 hours, changing
the water every 12 hours, then blanch it to finalize the step which is putting
it in boiling water for five minutes and then shocking it back to reality in ice
water for a minute,” he says.

“This process leaches out the chlorophyll and any other impurities that might
be in there, which can make for a bad tasting butter.”

How To Decarboxylate Cannabis

Once your herb is thoroughly cleaned, it’s time to “decarb” your cannabis.

“Decarboxylation is a process where you actually activate the THC, the
psychoactive compound and the CBD which is the non-psychoactive compound
in cannabis,” explains Jeff.

“When they first start out in their raw plant form they are something
called THCA and CBDA and that acid molecule (A), although in raw cannabis
is really good for you, won’t give you the full effect of those
cannabinoids,” he adds.

“If you really want to feel the effects of THC and CBD you have to
remove the A molecule from THCA or CBDA, and the only way to do that
is through heat and time and that is called decarboxylation.”

Jeff recommends drying out the soaked herb either overnight or in a
dehydrator. Once the herb is dry, spread it out on a baking sheet,
cover with aluminum foil and bake at 240F for 1 hour.

Once you’ve completed the decarboxylation process, you are now ready
for the fun part — infusing the butter.

Simple Cannabutter Recipe

Ingredients

1/2 ounce ground, decarbed cannabis
1 cup butter
2 cups water

Equipment

Medium pan
Bowl
Fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth

Note: You can use different amounts of cannabis and butter as long as
the ratio stays the same
(e.g. 1/4 ounce cannabis = 1/2 cup butter, 1 ounce of cannabis = 2 cups of butter)

Directions

1. Add water and butter to pan over medium heat. Make sure there is enough water to create a layer between the butter and the bottom of the pan. Use extra water if necessary.
  2. Wait until butter melts, then add cannabis to pan and mix thoroughly.
  3. Simmer on low heat for 2-3 hours. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. If mixture starts to boil, reduce heat.
  4. Allow pan to cool before straining into bowl or container. Use a fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth to separate the remaining cannabis from the butter.
  5. Place mixture in fridge overnight. The butter will separate from the water and rise to the top.
  6. Once butter has risen to top, remove from fridge. Peel off the chunks of butter with a fork or knife and place in separate container.

Congratulations, you’re now ready to make edibles! When it comes to dosing, it’s best to start with smaller portions and move up gradually. Any extra cannabutter can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 months.

Tips & Advice

Making a quick batch of cannabutter is easy and the same recipe can be adapted for a Crock Pot or double boiler. But if you want to make cannabutter like a pro, you’ll need to follow more careful instructions.

JeffThe420Chef has some great advice for beginners who want to make high-quality cannabutter on their own.

Best Ingredients To Use

When making your own cannabutter, you want to use the highest quality ingredients possible.

“Don’t use shake and don’t use trim,” Jeff warns. “When you go to a dispensary and you buy shake and trim you don’t know what you’re getting because it can be shake and trim from all kinds of different strains.”

This is why using whole buds for your cannabutter is the best way to go. You’ll have way more control over the final product and will have a batch of edibles that gives you exactly the kind of high you want.

“Also, use a high-quality butter such as grass-fed,” Jeff notes. “The higher the fat content, the better off you are when making cannabutter.”

Common Mistakes To Avoid/Getting The Right Dose

“The first (mistake) is not knowing the potency of the bud you’re working with and the second is not understanding how dosing works,” says Jeff.

“Don’t just throw butter and cannabis together and assume that you’re going to have a cannabutter that’s going to work for you.”

If your cannabutter ends up having 65 mg of THC per tablespoon and your recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of butter, you may have to substitute 3 tablespoons of plain butter in to end up with a batch of 12 cookies with 5 mg of THC each.

When it comes to properly dosing your edibles, all it takes is some simple calculations that can be done with Jeff’s online THC/CBD calculator.

Simply type in the percentage of THC in your cannabis, the weight of the cannabis itself and the volume of butter you are using in your recipe. Click the equal sign and you’ve got all the info you need to make edibles that are safe and will give you the effect you actually desire.

Best Time/Heat For Making Cannabutter

Jeff suggests that you simmer your butter on the lowest heat setting (200F) for about 3 hours to ensure optimal infusion.

The Ultimate Cannabutter Recipe

By JeffThe420Chef

(Photo: Leela Cyd/JeffThe420Chef)

Number of servings: 8 servings (1 tablespoon each)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours + blanching and decarbing
Idle time: 24-48 hours plus overnight

Approximate THC per serving:
10% THC = 32 mg per tablespoon
15% THC = 48 mg per tablespoon
20% THC = 65 mg per tablespoon

Ingredients

1/4 ounce herb (7g)
1 + 1/3 stick butter (10.6 tablespoons)

Equipment

Distilled water
Tea strainer
Medium/large-sized pot
Bowl filled with ice water
French press coffeemaker
Heat-resistant glass, ceramic or tin pan
Aluminum foil
Plastic butter dish or jar for storage
Small kitchen scale (measures in grams)

Directions

Step 1 — Soak and Blanch Herb

1. Coarsely grind dry herb and soak in distilled water for 24-48 hours.
  2. Change the water every 12 hours. This cleans out a lot of the impurities that cause bad taste.
  3. Place “cleaned” herb in a tea strainer. Bring water to a boil in pot. Place tea strainer in boiling water for 5 minutes.
  4. Immediately remove tea strainer after 5 minutes then place in bowl of ice water for 1 minute.
  5. Remove from ice water. Pour distilled water over the tea strainer to rinse out any residual impurities.
  6. Remove herb from strainer and wring out excess water.

Step 2 — Dry and Decarb

1. Spread herb evenly in a large baking pan and lay a large piece of aluminum foil loosely on top of it.
  2. Let it sit overnight. Your herb should be dry by the next morning. (Skip this step if you use a dehydrator).
  3. When dry, preheat oven to 300ºF. Crimp down the foil and “bake” for 20 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven. Let sit for 5 minutes so the vapors can settle back onto the herb.
  5. Remove foil and loosely cover with a couple of paper towels. This creates a dark environment with airflow.
  6. Let pan sit, covered with paper towels, on the counter for 1-2 hours to dry out any residual moisture.

Step 3 — Weigh your final, dried and decarbed herb

1. Your final yield will weigh +/-20% to +/-50% less than your starting weight, depending on how moist or dry your herb was when you started the process.

Step 4 — Infuse Butter

1. Place butter into a French press and place standing up in pot of simmering water.
  2. Allow butter to melt. Mix in decarbed herb. Cover the French press and push plunger to just above the butter.
  3. Gently simmer for 3 hours. Check the water level every 20 minutes to ensure it is even with the water line.
  4. Remove the French press and push the plunger down to strain cannabutter into a glass or plastic butter dish.
  5. Your final yield should be about 1 stick or 8 tablespoons of butter. Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 months (Note: butter will begin to lose potency after 2 weeks).

Best Foods To Make With Cannabutter

Cannabutter can be used in place of regular butter to make cookies, brownies, cakes and even marijuana tea.

It’s best used in controlled recipes such as baked goods and not to oil or grease a pan when frying eggs or meat. Otherwise, the dosing in each piece may not be consistent.

Remember, the effects of edibles last much longer than smoking or vaporizing. While usually delayed by 30-60 minutes, the effects can last for 8 hours or more.

5 Likes

I also found this.

1 Like

Oh you want Black Thumb Betty for recipes

Well let’s tag her in
@Blackthumb1
This her?

Just came here from her thread, apparently she has a suspended account atm😔