Hi all, unfortunately I have some small areas of bud rot (botrytis) on the densely packed colas on one of my girl. We just had a few weeks of heavy rain, plant had been attacked by Cabbage Looper Caterpillars and the area they were being stored had little circulation. I have now moved my plants back into a sunny position with temperatures averaging 25c (77f). The area also has great air circulation. Should I remove the infected areas or am I safe to leave on flowers? I am in a pickle as I don’t want to disfigure the beautiful flowers but I also don’t want the mold to spread. Any advice will be appreciated.
Id remove it before it spreads.you could leave any affected areas and treat with hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per gallon of water. Put some in a spray bottle and spray onto affected areas once to twice a week or get something for mold. Check out your local hydro store they should have something.
I am not a final authority on bud tor but I did work in medicine for 40+ years. I would not want to take a risk in inhaling fungus. It can cause some serious breathing problems and can lead to pneumonia that is very hard to treat. I do not think it is worth the risk. Just my view on it. Jerry
Thanks @TxGrowman, I have been reading up a bit and agree. I don’t think I would risk smoking it… is very disheartening but ones health comes first. I was wondering if it can be used for edibles but I’m thinking it could still be risky.
Thanks @Dr.DankThumb420, I’m thinking of just removing as I won’t be able to use for anything anyway. It’s just so disheartening chopping chunks out of your colas, better then a mass infection though I suppose. Thanks for info on Hydrogen Peroxide mix also.
Np. Yeah removing would probably be best
I would mix 1 gallon of good ph’d water at 6.7 with 2 Oz of neem oil and a drop of dawn dish soap and spray everything from top to bottom… it should not effect anything… I promise… some people will disagree , but as long as you cure your medicine correctly you will have no problems…
You still have 2 to 4 weeks of drying I’m sure…
Could be risky. It is up to you but I would not use it. Like you said, “ones health comes first”.
Thanks @peachfuzz, so sorry if this seems stupid but is this to kill the mold? I’m also guessing if your spraying the whole plants its to stop spores from growing in other areas. I’m guessing you would still recommend removing any infected areas. I was thinking I will have to wash my flowers anyway as the caterpillars have crapped all through the flowers, lol. I didn’t really think about the cure but I’m now thinking unless done right the mold could be a ongoing issue.
The neem oil is to stop the mold…
DO NOT LEAVE IT ON THERE! It will spread to other parts of the plant and other plants if they are in the same area. Cut out all affected area carefully to not contact other parts or shake. I had this on a plant a few years ago. Thought it would heal itself. Came back a few days later to see that it got worse and spread to another plant that was close by. So i lost almost 2/3 of both plants. Luckily had a few others about 1/4 mile away that wasnt affected.
carve out ALL signs of mold, any darkening, bruised looking areas around it and throw it far away from the garden.
use clean utensils so it isn’t spread, alcohol will clean the scissors.
the mold spreads when it’s dry, careful of the that, have a bag to toss the moldy stuff in.
look for the mold daily, catch it small, don’t let it spread.
Here’s a short read on another idea
Thanks @Edensgarden, I chopped out effected areas today. A sad process as a small amount if non effected flower is removed it the process. I have separated good material and as is a few weeks off harvest with milky trichomes so will dry, cure and hopefully smoke up alright. I’m still a bit worried about spores being on the plant so will probably hit with hydrogen peroxide or neem oil mix. It would be heartbreaking to loose more to the dreaded rot.
Thanks for the awesome info @kabongster…. I have placed all of the effected material in a sealed bag and will dispose of far, far away.
I am fighting the same problem mate and have been for a while, with the amount of rain we’ve had mixed with the now 80-90% RH, there is no escaping it. As others have said, cut out at first sign of mold, if you get mold a couple inches from the tip of a main kola, cut of the whole bud and begin drying. Mold will continue to spread no matter what you do, no sprays will work while the humidity is so high. The best plan of attack is cut out any signs of mold as soon as you see them, and cut out more than just the tiny affected part. Salvage the bud around the affected part otherwise it soon will become moldy too. Sorry to hear about your losses mate but i know the pain all too well
Also, just my opinion but I would never use any sprays including neem oil on buds this close to harvest. You’ll be tasting it no matter what unfortunately
Well I don’t know nothing except that @Paranorman used neem in flower and it messed up his harvest. Could only put it in his shaker can for hash. So maybe he can chime in also
Hey @BondPacker, I have been following your grow and have seen what your going through. I think we are in the same boat, the amount of rain and strange weather has really played havoc on us. I had to emergency relocate my girls for a few weeks when it was pouring down, where they were kept it there was no circulation or anything so it was probably perfect conditions for mold to take off. I also had caterpillars come in and have a feast which they say can lead to mold infestation issues. Where I am its on average about 50% humidity but I dont want to risk anything. So far I have cut the infected buds out of the cola with a buffer hoping I have cut out enough to stop any further spread. I was thinking of localized spray of a hydrogen peroxide mix as suggested at the areas close to where infestations were. I’m thinking I will have to wash my buds in the end as there’s caterpillar poo all through some of the buds and I dont think anyone wants to smoke that, lol. I am really a bit lost with this as I dont want to cut my harvest short or lose a heap of bud to rot. I have probably another couple of weeks until ready for harvest so I have to play it smart. Thanks again for your advice and input.
Hi @Nug-bug, thanks for your input and advice. I just about went and purchased the neem oil today… now I’m thinking twice. I certainly dont want to mess my whole crop up. I’m really trying to play it smart here. If @Paranorman has any advice it will be appreciated.