Resin / Trichome Question

I am on my 3rd grow and have been successful, trichome production is excellent with my Gorilla cookies and Sour D auto’s, but I’ve noticed that my resin / stickyness and odor somewhat gets degraded around week 7-8. . . This is usually when I give the light dial a boost for the last few weeks. I’m guessing this is the issue? Heat and humidity are and have been good, no higher than 75 and humidity between 48-57%

Anyone have this issue before? Thanks n advance.

1 Like

IDK, but suspect this is counter to Mother-Nature.
Forum reading and web postings may favor reduction during final time.
Possibly reduction of hours with some increased intensity (red) might simulate fall harvesting.
However, when I tried 10/14Off, it looked like nothing grew.
Aphid invasion not helpful either (my world).

Are you cooking your trichomes?

5 Likes

I just read that too intense lighting in late flowering can affect thc potency, terpenes, and smell. I wasnt aware of this before and just may be the case here for you. Something you may want to investigate as only you have the front row seat to determine. Best wishes! :v:

2 Likes

IM pretty sure you’re right, it makes sense. t’s just surprising that there isn’t a lot of talk or info about this

2 Likes

I believe I am cooking them… I think this what has kept me from top shelf to just a very good end product. Thanks bro.

2 Likes

DLI chart show taper off during final weeks.
Mother-Nature does Oct with less day-lighting hours.
But WTF do I know, somedays, nothing.

Good growing to you.
Get some ladybugs, I did.

2 Likes

Are you using soil or hydro? Either way you should use a Trichomes builder. I’m hydro and I use green planet Rezin. It’s a enhancer that increases oil and rezin production. Happy Growing

1 Like

I am in soil and have always have great trichome production, and initially good resin production… It seems to lose most of the resin and smell by the end point. it’s frosty, but not sticky and pungent.

My last grow was in soil, happy frog. I was growing grand daddy purple. Had rezin drops on some of the stems. First time that’s happened. The seeds I’ve purchased from ILGM the buds have always been sticky but the smell really wasn’t there until after the buds cured good.

1 Like

I have a friend that grows 40 plants at a time and swears by 650 watts light in flower stage

1 Like

Ive also read that too much heat/tempreture can diminish smell somewhat…Resin and Trichs not so sure…Ive read that if its too hot you can smell the plant its stronger smell…and I take it thats NOT good because its leaching the terpenes out …thats why you can smell it…I’m outdoors and I do notice this last few summers when temps got in the mid 90s to 100 F also I grow 90% Autos so I know that’s a trait of them also…

2 Likes

You should be lowering the light intensity not increasing it lowering the temperature is also good basically you want to mimic the approach of fall weather as much as possible in the fall sunlight decrease and temperatures drop thats what you want for your grow environment as well

3 Likes

Yeah, this is a confusing topic, growers seem divided on this.

I mean. It makes sense… Definitely going to try decreasing, obviously what I have been doing isn’t the result I’ve been looking for.

1 Like