Raise the pH in soil

So I am very new at this, I posted before about this being the first time i have attempted to grow indoors. For the most part I have always grown outside in my garden.

Now I have a plant indoors and am learning a lot. I got a PH soil tester and am getting results of 5.5. The water going in is 6.5.

I am about 30 days into flowering, should I attempt to rase it? If so how?

1 Like

If it is the style of ph soil tester I’m thinking about they are not very good. Do a slurry test and it will give you a better result. 1 shot glass of soil , 1 shot glass of distilled water mix well then test using ph meter you use for water.

1 Like

Yea I know its pricey but get a proper water testing kit most of us use apera or bluelabs and it pays for itself with how much tap water you can ph

1 Like

He’s definitely right soil tester’s are useless unless they’re really fancy ones

As bubblehead mentioned if you have a liquid PH meter do a slurry test and see where that is.
Those soil PH probes do work and I have the $12 and the $75 ones with those probes. The thing is they will vary readings based on the soils moisture content. When dry will reader high when saturated will read lower. My soil profile ranges from 6.8 down to 5.5 and I’m ok with that. I don’t take readings right before watering nor right after watering but a day or so after watering. While I have checked when dry and when saturated in order to learn I have found this to hold true for me.
I find that 3” down it’s higher than it is 6” down and at 9” down will read lower still. The probe I have will measure down to about 11” but most of the cheaper ones only go down “probe lenght” 3-6”.

Post I made about soil meters awhile back.

As far as raising soil PH if needed you can use dolomite lime powder as a top dress and water it in or can mix with water etc. be careful about how much and how fast you increase the PH at one time. There are other products out as well that will raise it too.

Hope this helps

If your plants are doing well, leave it be. Just continue with 6.5ph feeds. I’ve been running a test in soil that I have (big rootz) that sits at 5.8 in runoff. I’ve just left it alone and feed at 6.5. Plants are doing great. Where I’ve run into problems is trying to adjust the soils natural ph.

2 Likes