PPFD for flowering?

What’s up everybody, I have a white widow auto that started flowering at 4 wks and it is now 6 wks old today. I have my light at 16” and I get about 720-750 ppfd on the top bud and 500 ppfd on the lowest. So my question is what ppfd should I be getting during flowering ??

600 to 900 is best. I’ve heard some say up to a 1000 before using co2.

1 Like

Ok could anyone also tell me if this is a nutrients burn or something else ?? The tips are discoloring …

@Docnraq @Dexterado @MeEasy i don’t know you all but I see your advice everywhere and y’all are respected here so maybe you could give me some advice please ?

1 Like

@MidwestGuy @Aussie_autos

It does look a little heavy on nitrogen. It’s ok to have the tips burned, but you don’t want it to go beyond that. That shows it’s up taking the nutrients. I would back off the nutrients for a little bit.

3 Likes

So just use water for a time or 2 ? Or just back off a little on the amount of nutes ?

I’m an organic farmer so I won’t be much help adjust the nutrients but I will say that plants like less nitrogen once they start flowering so you need to change to a flower food. As for lighting if you are running 18 hour days 700-750 is great

1 Like

I’d just use water a time or two, and let it use up some of the excess. And like already mentioned, transition to a flowering nutrient with less nitrogen.

1 Like

Thank you both so much!! Another question, I see everyone else trimming fan leaves and stuff but they tell me not too. Can you tell me why I should or shouldnt ? I want to get the most weight possible being that this is my only plant for this grow.

I have a WW auto just starting 8 weeks. She started flowering @ 4 weeks and she is small but growing buds.

1 Like

I wouldn’t remove any right now if I were you. Those are the plants solar panels. A little later in flower, some will start yellowing, then you can remove those to expose more light to the buds.The only time I remove them is if the plant is extremely bushy, or they’re damaged, or dying. At the beginning of flowering on this one, I had to remove some large fan leaves (actually a bunch which I’ve never done before) because it was extremely bushy. Now I only pull off yellow ones.

2 Likes

How about check your runoffs and when your ppms drop below 1000 start feeding again did you check runoff before you started feeding that way you don’t have to guess how many times do i feed it plan water

1 Like

I have no way at all to check runoff and PH and stuff. And to be honest I’ve only ever had runoff 1 time. I usually do 2 waterings with nutes and then 2 without

What would be your recommendations on a flowering nutrient ?? All I use now is Advanced nutrients micro grow bloom.

Thank you for your kind words :slight_smile:
Everyone has already said anything I would have, lotsa good stuff above this post. That little bit of burn at the tips is nothing. It says she is full with more to eat if she desires. Thats where I try to keep em.

Off the subject, you might want to fill your buckets more to the top in your future projects.

1 Like

That should do it. Maybe use less. I no longer use synthetic nutrients. I use organic nutrients now, and have way less issues.

1 Like

Many argue not to have such a drastic DLI drop off when changing the lights to 12 hours. This means you / we need to have some horses in reserve when light hours decreases. If a DLI is to be maintained PPFD needs to be around1000
PPFD - DLI

The take away from this observation is to have an an even canopy so all the kids are treated equally.

2 Likes

So I’m not smart at all lol I have no clue what that picture is but I can tell you that at 16” my top flower gets 45-47 DLI and the bottom around 30-35 DLI. That’s all I know :rofl: sorry

You are pointing out how the distance from the light affects DLI (PPFD) reaching where you take the reading. The intensity of the light decreases the further away the object is. So to have the same DLI / PPFD you need to have a flat surface and the fixture must distribute the light equally.

The graph illustrates DLI requirements during various growth stages. I entered the formula converting PPFD to DLI. DLI is daily light integral. DLI is too abstract for me. I can relate to PPFD so that is why I added the conversion formula.
If you are running the lights for 18 hours the top of the plant is getting the right amount of light. The bottom of the plant is receiving a little less.

1 Like