Noobie. Indoor / Outdoor Grow in Foggy San Francisco

Thanks @Not2SureYet & @AAA for the feedback. She’s basking in the morning sun and looking just fine for now.

3 Likes

That’s a good way to get her out of the shade

1 Like

Aloe vera is good for cuts on people or plants. It coats and protects the wound, has hormones that promote growth and healing. Honey attracts bugs.

2 Likes

I prefer using the silver duct tape, your plant should recover well, you may need to stake it up somehow when it gets heavier, keep on eye on it.

I would avoid putting your plants places where a tragedy may occur, like precariously balancing on a 2x4, in California one little earthquake and she will fall, or one good wind gust.

2 Likes

thanks @Big123 and all for the follow along and advice here. I’ll definitely keep an eye on the break and continue staking / supporting as the winds pick up here in SF through the summer. I’ll routinely hit 15-17 kts in the backyard … unfortunately… so I’m assuming I’ll stake 5-6 posts for each cola (?).

RE: deck railing - it was indeed a big compromise for me to try to even try the outdoor grow with the super limited light / tiny backyard - so deck rail she went, but agreed, I wish I could avoid that placement – for now, she’s tied down tighter than the Ancient Mariner’s albatross that could never be shaken - I built some quick, custom, railing mounts, and as long as the deck post footers stay put, she’ll snap the trunk before the root ball could fall off.

1 Like

I’m rusty on my entomology. What’s this? Katydid? Friend or foe?

2 Likes

That’s it, a foe.

1 Like

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/pests/insects/katydids-in-the-garden.htm

1 Like

Thanks!

Durban outside seems to be doing ok. We had some strong winds (25-28kts) over the past week so happy no torn branches yet. Still need to stake it better once the flower starts.! Also need to get the other 3 ladies outside soon IMG_20200609_151238|375x500

2 Likes

You can start watering with Agsil to strengthen the branches. Build a soil . com sells it.

Hey y’all. I’m getting too anxious to drive some flowering instead of waiting for November outdoor harvest on my 2 Durban Poison s already outside . Do you think the blueberry and blue dream here will outgrow the tent or can I get it done? Thanks

2 Likes

Have you flipped yet? If not do it yesterday. 11 on 13 off. It will turn them quicker.

1 Like

I have not yet flipped them. I was originally planning to take them outdoors. Now I fear they may outgrow the tent. The blueberry (left in pic) is 3 feet high, the bluedream(right in pic) is 4 feet high. The tent is 6 feet to the top … can i cut the top off and flip? or not worry about them running into the top of tent / light as they flower? Thanks @AAA

2 Likes

Why not outdoors still? Solstice is here!

But, if you keep inside, I would flip, 11/13, and supercrop the main stem if it goes to close to the lights.

Topping sets a plant back and will make them get twice as wide depending on pheno, above is simply my opinion.

Always a judgement call for “boots on the ground”.

Let us know where you go.

1 Like

cannabis has the ability to take a pretty hefty chopping and still do fine. Most people think pinching is the only way to top a plant. Not true at all. If you follow the stem downwards you will see branches forking off. You can literally chop a plant in half at the branch of your choosing, and begin training from that height. It seems brutal but if you ave severely outgrown your space and cant bend the super thick stock, it is a definate and viable option.

this shows a male sativa I want to get pollen from but it was 9 feet tall. I hacked the shit out of it and it will continue to survive.

3 Likes

Ok, decided to take the ladies for a walk outdoors. I nearly forgot the number one rule of gardening: don’t be rushed, smell the roses; I won’t rush an indoor flower on this set.

Here’s the pics so far. Hope they rebound this week. Definitely need to stake them but won’t be able to until next week as well.

Wondering if I took the Durban branches down to far…

3 Likes

I decided to flip one plant inside, the blue dream. To deal with the likely overgrowth in tent, I added a screen and bent over the branches to about half their height. Pics here. Wish they were fully scrog but maybe I can tease some branches into the empty slots soon. Assuming I shouldn’t prune back the high ones to let low branches catch up but open to suggestions!

2 Likes

@AAA and @big123 any advice on determining when my plants go into flower so I can change nutrient feeding outdoors? Sept 25th is the official 12h of sunlight in SF, but they’re currently only receiving about 5-6h of direct light. Does the direct part matter / affect it / kickstart flowering sooner? If so, would appreciate your advice on how to read that on the plant … or I’ll just wait until clear bud formation and let 'er steer the course. Thanks!

1 Like

The plant will tell you.

When you start getting button tops I would say it’s in flower. I don’t know about feeding chelated nutrients so no help there.

Here is a pic of a “button” on one of my plants.

3 Likes