Is there such a thing as a PH meter that doesn't require a damn degree in chemistry to calibrate

I purchased a PH meter from MarsHydro, great price, 3 in 1 meter. I just want to Ph test my shitty well water. I know its high PH due to my geography. But, to calibrate this damn POS i now need deionized water. And have to use the calibration powders. Which are a one time use. F#÷//king B.S. , Im tossing the Piece of crap.

3 Likes

Most are going to need some kind of calibration…I do mine at start of grow and start of flower. I use the liquid version of two calibration points. It is fairly quick.

5 Likes

Try this no calibration needed, always accurate…

6 Likes

An apera comes with everything you need accurate and last long:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ENFOHN8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I calibrate once before each new grow.

6 Likes

Too easy. Place as shown in the bottle. Most have an o ring. Press calibrate. Upend the bottle. Wait till see pass. Will go to 7. Rinse well repeat process. Will go to 10. Rinse well before test. Repeat. Will close out test. Done.

This is a solid and foolproof calibration. After you are finished rinse well and store with storage solution in cap if have 1. If not some in a glass. The solution is a very good life prolonger. If not shaped like this same exact process in a container. Let stay submerged till says pass.

This last pic is what you will see after holding calibrate till it turns on. The units will change to next ph level automatically.

5 Likes

Nice tutorial, that’s helpful if folks need to get a pen.

4 Likes

Works the same with all but i dig the plug into solution. So simple a stoner can do it. Thanks.

6 Likes

I use this when my ph meters decide they cant agree. I grow in rdwc as the plants get older the ph always seem to stay in range, as long as the plant is healthy.

2 Likes

Great trick…did noy know I could upend bottle.

4 Likes

Sure is :+1:t2:
Not doing that with a Blue lab :upside_down_face::green_heart::metal:t2:

2 Likes

I recommend starting with a good PH meter , Cheap ones will drift and need calibrated much more often. Once you set your 4 and 7 on a good meter you will be good for several weeks Verify in a clean bottle of 7 PH solution To see if you need to repeat calibration. Also You’re calibration is only as good as your solution Avoid contaminating and store in a dark place. Happy growing :v:

2 Likes

Absolutely! There should be a PH meter that doesn’t make you feel like you’re prepping for a chemistry PhD. I mean, seriously, I just want to check my water, not start a new season of “Breaking Bad”! :sweat_smile:

Calibrating a pH pen is about 9th grade level stuff.

4 Likes

I have ordered the liquid drops. Seems totally easier and idiot proof. You guys and your meters are just taking the hardest method. EGO??

2 Likes

Always your choice. You asked. We answer. The added ego comment was unnecessay but some people are like that. Enjoy your grows.

3 Likes