How to use a ph tester

The more I read the more I really need this ph tester. I haven’t ever used it just got it. I could use some help.

1 Like

Having a major problem on how to calibrate. I’m not understanding the set up. I have talked to the guy at the grow store. I’m just not understanding. @Hellraiser @BigHuff2316 @kdawg @Shaggy You guys ever used this one?

Havent seen that one myself. Did it come with calibration solutions?

1 Like

Never used that one but I’d try the Quick Cablibration method from the manual

Or do the single point calibration

3 Likes

I have to let it hydrate first that’s what’s throwing me off in the directions. My gross store guy was telling me to do one thing and the video is showing something else. It doesn’t tell you to hydrate

I can barely read the directions that is so bad I just got new trifocals I think I need to get a big magnifying glass. Lol

And I need to get that soil tester to. I’ll get that next week. I really hate to say I should’ve done all this from the get-go. But it wasn’t much mattered with those seedy plants.lol. This is what so bad I cloned off of them and was going to give them to somebody else that wanted some. I’m really glad that I didn’t and I wish I would’ve started with good seeds. I never knew all that stuff I could always get clones

1 Like

What type of soil tester are you looking at? Is it a tds/ppm tester or the kind with metal probes?

1 Like

I’m not sure what to get. I’ll get it next week.

What would you get? I can’t remember what the one I was looking at.

Just don’t want to spend to much. One they have is for 60 plus tax. That I liked.

Tds and ppm

1 Like

That’s what I use and it was $60 also. That one let’s you check the ppms in runoff which will tell you if your over or under feeding your plants. It’s another learning curve to. :crazy_face::+1::v:

1 Like

Did you pick up some ph up and ph down when you got your ph tester?

I will. I haven’t given them nutrients in almost two weeks. That’s what I’m worried about. I may have to much time release stuff going on. These girls look amazing

1 Like

Getting your ph tester up and running is a great start!:+1:

1 Like

What do you have if you don’t mind me asking?. I showed my wife your root cake. She thought it was an edible. She thought it was some kinda new cooking infusion. Lol

I have been using the strips and the liquid. I gave a friend some of my water from the water that drained. He did say it was within reason. But with some of the organic stuff I might have given them to early. And they are running the course. Or they could be kicking in now. In a strong way. The plants are not super dark green. But I am seeing a lot of growth. How often do you trim your fan leaves back?

I really put the bonemeal and some two kinds of happy frog and dr earth. On top like a lot. And also added dirt with it. But I believe I topped them to many times with it. Trying to grow to many plants at one time. It will never happen again.

Several options on trimming and just as many schools of thought on it. You want good air flow throughout the plant to prevent mold and mildew among other things. You also dont want fan leaves blocking bud sites. You can trim to deal with it and you can also just spread the plant out more to deal with it. A lot depends on your temps, humidity and airflow. My last grow I did a lot of trimming and ended up with an ok harvest from one plant. This time around I’m trying to keep as many leaves on it as possible to give better growth. Everything depends on other things lol. As far as feeding and nutrients are concerned involving ph levels the test strips at best give you a very rough idea of where your ph is at. Proper ph is needed to keep your root zone right so the plant can eat what it needs for nutrients. To high or low leads to nute burning or deficiency and if it’s to far off can lead to lockout in which the roots cant uptake any nutes. It’s important to give plants just the right amount of nutes to avoid issues. The ppm tester helps you figure that out. If your girls are looking happy right now I’d keep doing what your doing. You want a good color of green that’s not to dark nor to light. That can vary by strains.