How lomg do you let your weed cure?

So with the avid smokers in my house i never get to really cure my grows like I’d like but i have a jar of gorilla z i grew to perfection and have it put away in a mason jar. I’ve read so many different opinions on the curing lengths. What is your opinion on the perfect curing time? Do u open the jar during the process? How tight do you pack it?

3 Likes

2 to 4 weeks minimum, but recognize that curing and chlorophyll breakdown continues for much longer.

Yes. A jar must be burped. I burp mine 2x a day for a week, daily for another 2 weeks, and then I make adjustments to achieve and maintain an ideal storage humidity of 60%.

Leave enough room that some air circulation can take place in the jar.

3 Likes

Perfect! Thats exactly what im lookin for in advice.

2 Likes

I have an issue with curing I think. I harvested my first grow of Blue dream and Gorilla glue. I have a hydroponics ebb and flo growing in hydroton system. I use GH flora series nutes and flushed with floraclean for 5 days before harvest.
The issue I am having might be chlorophyill but i am not sure.
My harvest has been in mason jars for the last 2 weeks and humidity held at 62% through burping when needed. The issue I am having is the smoke seems to be a little harsh and dry at the back of your throat. when you smell the bud it seems to have a little green or grassy smell to it. The kief in the grinder seems to be greener and not as dry as usual.
Do I need to just be patient and wait another couple of weeks or did I dry or cure it wrong? I dried it for 7 days at 50-55% humidity.

2 Likes

I would be patient. Two weeks of cure isn’t that long. It should continue to mellow out over time.

Welcome to the forum.

4 Likes

Great information here for curing your yield. I placed my first 3 grows in jars and bodeva packs were added. On my 4th grow I placed the yield in curing bags because 4lbs filled a lot of jars. The problem was in the 1/4 pound size bag I had two seals mess up and had I not check them periodically the buds would have dried out due to them not sealing properly. I will not use cure bags again. I’m sure all are not defective but I no longer trust the 1/4 pd bags. The 1/2 and 1 pd seem to do fine.

1 Like

Oh I forgot welcome to the community our new friend happy growing

1 Like

@Madams @mark99

The technique @MidwestGuy described is spot on.

After about 4 weeks I will start to consume, but it’s still “fresh”. I find the best taste, effects and smoothness around 4 to 6 months after going in the jars. It takes almost a year before I maybe notice any degradation. And I’m not even sure about that, my friends love it, but they’d scraped stuff off the floor of their car to smoke sooo…

2 Likes

Each plant I have set back has cured and changed over the course of several months.
Yes, its smokable after a few weeks, but terpenes and profile changes can take place over longer times. To the OP I will say to keep that jar and taste test it every two weeks and see for yourself what happens. I just found a Granddaddy Purple that has aged for over a year and its really a different animal than others I have had. I thought it would be very sleepy but turned out to be more cerebral and a good working strain. Kept me clear headed and focused on my task. Cannabis is so odd in its effects. Each and every plant seems to be unique in some way.

6 Likes