How do you cut down a plant?

I just harvested my first last night with this long extendible razor blade. It came down but it was harder than I thought. The core stem was only about a half inch across but was extremely tough (it’s hemp after all) and sawing thru it with that thing was awkward and potentially dangerous. I have another plant coming up in a week or two and plan to grow and harvest more. What’s a good appropriate tool to cut plants down? The pruning shears I’m seeing on Amazon don’t look strong enough.

(Gripe sesh: This is a perfect example of what’s annoying about trying to find info about pot growing on the internet; I google “how to cut down your plant” and get a billion identical results about flushing and checking trichomes and drying and curing - zilch about actually cutting down a plant.)

2 Likes

I have always used a good brand of side cutter shears. Many good brands are out there, FIskars is one of the best and they maintain sharpness. Just make sure you always clean and lubricate them after use so they stay sharp. Fiskars clippers are on E-bay, in Home Depot and Lowes, I think I saw a pair in Ace Hardware also. Good pair will run about $20
Jerry

2 Likes

Like this?

More like something like this for the big trunk and strems:

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Traditional-Bypass-Pruning-Shears/dp/B00002N66H/?tag=greenrel-20

and something like this for your fine trimming:

http://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Garden-11815-Comfort-Pruner/dp/B00SELW4AG/?tag=greenrel-20

~MacG

3 Likes

Hi Droobie … the clippers in your picture are wire cutters. I like the one’s that MacG posted. I had to use nail polish remover to get all the sticky stuff off the blades. I used large clippers to cut the main stem as they were pretty thick. I used small very sharp scissors (for cutting hair) to trim the leaves away from the buds. Again … had to keep cleaning up the blades so they would stay sharp.

Hope this helps
MT

2 Likes

MacG … I love those micro pruners! I’m going to have to get some for next year.

MT

1 Like

Alcohol pads also work great for removing gunk from the blades. I don’t have nail polish remover any more, stopped doing my nails years ago! LOL

2 Likes

I think I did a search for bolt cutters and that’s what came up. Something that could get thru a sturdy padlock.

You guys crack me up! Surely, I can’t be the only girl on this website.
MT

3 Likes

Hell I used a pamper chef curving knife , slip there it was !!!

1 Like

I use just plain shear’s that I use to trim my bushes with every year. Nothing special
And ya me to I stopped doing my nails along time ago…lol. just playing. MT…lol

B Safe
Will

You’re not alone lol. :smiley:

1 Like

I use my old drywall saw. http://www.amazon.com/Shark-10-2206-Rockeater-Drywall-Saw/dp/B00004TBPV
That works great if you don’t have big shears
Tom

As you can see now, there is a multitude of ways to cut your plants, and none are wrong. Had a friend in Fallbrook, Ca that had plants so big, he actually used a chainsaw to cut them down. It has been several years now, but I swear that the trunks on his Cali Red Hair (this was back in the good old days, 1970’s) were as big around as a beer can! I was amazed if you let them grow outside that the stalks looked like a TREE!

1 Like

I’m just growing small plants in an apartment closet so a chainsaw would be a bit much. It’d do the job though! My trunk stem came out bent from lst and there is no unbending. It’s like steel practically.

1 Like

There’s a YT video of a plant that’s been allowed to grow naturally for a year in someone’s sunny private back yard. It’s like a funny looking ficus tree.

1 Like

Tx … I LOVE Fallbrook. Have friends there … I was born and raised in San Diego.

MsTito … I am really glad you’re here too!

MT

1 Like

Spent years there, Actually, worked at Pendleton and stayed with my lady in San Diego! ! Were you in the service?

LOL ! ! Yea, a chainsaw might be a TINY bit overkill ! Ya’ got me on that one!

Tx … I wasn’t in the military. My dad and another guy had an avocado ranch in Fallbrook. They also had a ranch in the back country near Jamul. My dad was the first guy I ever knew who grew pot in our backyard.

You guys are funny about the chainsaw!

MT

1 Like