Grow room in garage?

Well. I used to grow in a closet. Was successful at that but I moved into a new house and I don’t really have a good spot for a tent inside.

I have a basement but it raises hell with my allergies and the ceiling is short.

I would grow outside but it’s a short season here and building a fence around my grow area would cost $$$&&. I’m thinking of building a room in my garage. More or less a glorified box that can handle an air conditioner (or heater if need be). I’m just nearing the end of my stash from 22 and it’s time to go again.

Old equipment sold; starting over and excited.

So I’m thinking 4 by 4 by 6 ft tall room. Just wondering if a small window unit would be overkill. I know eventually I’ll get into the summer and it’s hot in my garage.

Suggestion’s appreciate

6 Likes

4x4 space in the garage is a great idea. I would build a raised floor to keep them off the cold concrete though. Simple 2x4 on the flat with half a sheet of plywood would work for that.

A small window ac is also a great idea for the warmer months and you can find small electric space heaters that mount on the wall as well if need be.

I honestly would go as tall as your ceilings (8 foot?) unless they’re really tall. Just leaves more room for if you have a plant stretch out of control or just like tall plants.

What are your thoughts on lighting for the space? 16 sqf x 45watts says like 720 watt light would be absolutely ideal but plenty of us get by with slightly less in a 4x4.

7 Likes

Might be less $$ just getting a tent set up rather than building a room for it? Cost of building supplies these days.
Could get 2” green 4’x8’ styrofoam insulation sheets and cut and put on top and sides if needed?
And as mentioned you may want to build a platform for it with 2x4 on the edge and can use foam board to insulate floor as well before capping with OSB etc.

Either way make sure it’s dark when it’s supposed to be dark.

If you did build a room hopefully can have one side against inner wall to house to help with heat/cool etc.

5 Likes

It’s a detached garage so I’ll be heating and cooling as weather changes. Kinda sucks but I’m not sure about the basement because it’s kinda a mess dusty and humid. Probably won’t grow in the winter at all so I’ll be cooking for the most part. Got a bit of time to think about it.

2 Likes

I grew for years in my garage in SoCal. Uninsulated garage saw temps between 30’s and 90’s so did have to make arrangements for managing that.

I built a 4 X 6 box out of 2 X 2’s and 1" styrofoam. Hinged double doors etc. and built it on a platform with wheels so I could relocate if necessary. Worked great; grew some great cannabis. I also would take plants out to the yard for free (sun)light.

12 Likes

I’d also go higher than 6’ just gives more options. Wheels would be a great idea too!

5 Likes

I like this idea :+1:
You could use foam board insulation to build the walls. It offers insulation properties, it’s rigid enough to almost tape together, and it’s fairly reflective.
A small window unit would work just fine, although they make some “portable” ac units that also have dehumidifier settings and some with heat but they get pricey.
There are window units that have dehumidifier functions also of course. But the portable ones are more versatile if you dont have a window in the spot you want to build it in, they give free distilled water as you can easily collect it from the drain hose where a window unit just drips everywhere.

4 Likes

If your building and you have the space 4x8 is perfect and would never go 6 high if i could go 8ft. Or as high as possible.
Lol “as high as possible”

4 Likes

I’m killing the 2 car garage grow tent !!! In the north east ! In …what month is it ? Lmfao

I just have laminate floor foam doubled up directly under the tent and on the floor
Ac self watering bases
Govee smart heater
Garage is insulated but no hvac from the house going in so I just control it as a lung room
Green beams 480W led
Ac infinity T8 with controller 69 and two 1st gen cloud ray oscillating fans
Grow before this I pulled in just over 2lbs from 5 autos
If this works out for me forever I’m good lol

7 Likes

Some great ideas! Thanks.

1 Like

That is a beautiful plant .
So you just wheeled the 4z6 box out of the garage where you could let the plants out into the sun ?

No, I’d carry each plant outside.

1 Like

Ahh still awesome plant tho ,that must not have been fun trying to see around it while carrying lol

I built my SCROG’s so that one could carry it. My wife would usually pitch in on that. I liked the free sunlight and would set them out with a fabric plant protector over them to keep insects off.

3 Likes

Ok. So my garage is pretty big. I’ve been looking at portable air conditioners and I thought that this might work in some way. I guess my concern is how I would keep the air cooled inside the grow room while still keeping enough clean air getting to the plants. I probably can’t cool the whole garage as that would be quite expensive. Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated

1 Like

I like autos too.

Not sure on light yet. Going to do autos so I can get correct dli with less light.

I prefer photoperiod as I can tailor the size of the plants to the grow space. Photos are also, in general, more potent than autos. I feel like I have more control.

You still need around 35 watts per square foot of quality LED’s to flower out properly.

1 Like

Right I already have a large light (led) I’m going to try out. I haven’t even unboxed it or taken a par reading. Right now I’m just concerned with figuring out the space where I’m going to grow.
As far as photo vs auto; I like trying different strains. I think autos allow for that more. Thx

I had a thread for my last grow on here and it was in a 4x2 in a closet.