Fired Up, Ready to Grow 3

Week 2 for auto Gorilla Glue (sprout after water germination)
Day 4 for auto Bruce Banner and photo Harlequin bc they didn’t sprout after successful germination same (my fault I think) so decided to germinate in soil to avoid harming them when transplanting. Worked fine, sprouted after 4-5 days.
Other deets:
2x4x5 tent
HLG 100V2 3000 & VIPARSPECTRA2020 Pro P1000
FFHF potting soil, will switch to OF when transplanted to 5gal pots 4 pots.
FF Nute Trio

My 2nd grow was harvested too late after not having adequate attention in the final month–eh, life! Got smokeable weed but buds are light & airy. Definitely going to be more attentive this time!




4 Likes

Updated pix, above were 2 days ago. Just gave GG 1st nute feeding, 1 tsp of FFBB in 16 oz water, she took 8 oz. Banner and Harlequin still spray bottle 2x day with humidity domes.

So far so good!!

20210907_173740|690x388




I see a lot of water droplets on leaves… you make sure ther are never wet leaves while under light, right?

1 Like

Seen that debate before–whether or not it harms seedlings to get a spritz–but never had a problem with it. Tell me why it matters if they’re under humidity dome anyway? Thanks!

That’s why I dont use a dome

As long as you know the potential danger

Good luck with your grow :grinning:

This pic here of ur oldest seedling it looks very dry

Don’t worry about water on your leaves. I don’t…

2 Likes

Sounds like early harvest or poor lighting…

1 Like

I guess I’m not clear on the danger with droplets, please explain.

As far as dome…isn’t that what all the Bergman guides say to do until the seedlings get rolling? Is this all just grower preference stuff or are there hard and fast rules?

I have a hard time keeping my humidity up during veg, use a humidifier in tent or else my RH is around 40 at best. Isn’t having domes when they are fragile a good idea in a too-dry environment? I usually take them off a week after sprouting…

Thanks! I’ve seen the debate before but figured it becomes a grower preference or “well it depends…” kinda thing, like every growing topic, lol. If there’s a solid reason to worry about it, I will.

1 Like

I think it was since I didn’t have my tent humidifier running enough. Without it I’m at around 40% RH. 2nd set of pix look better tho, right? Thanks for the help!

Lol I wouldn’t be surprised I’m still a novice. Identical seeds and conditions as 1st grow, which had better/tighter buds, but it seemed like it was getting worse the longer I waited. Harvested almost 3 weeks later in grow 2 waiting for the buds to plump up, bubblegum did, white widow didn’t and AK47 became airy as hell.

On the bright side, I no longer have the job that was taking up so much time I couldn’t devote to grow, lol. Hoping to find the balance this time!

2 Likes

The danger (supposedly) Is that water droplets can act like tiny magnifying glasses when under lamp
And burn the leaves

I don’t use a dome because @Hellraiser doesn’t… most people do

My reasoning is if he doesn’t have a problem with moisture retention in his grows, living in a desert, then I probably won’t either.
The reason I don’t want a dome is because of the risk of water droplets from that condensation

I personally don’t want to chance the water droplets coming down on the leaves which in my case happened (I caught it right away)

2 Likes

Nap you’re right as far as not every technique works for everyone. Some people hate soil, some love it. Done kill everything in Coco… some love it. This really is about finishing what works best for you and your space. Obviously some things are hard rules but it seems like so much is preference.

To defol or not?
LST or not?
HST or not?
Flush at harvest?
48h dark?
Wet trim or dry?

Everyone will have their reasons. Fine the ones that make sense to you, and use them.

3 Likes

I just wanted to make sure they were aware of the (supposed) risks

I’ll never knock another persons grow

4 Likes

Looking at your plant tags makes me wonder why on earth I’ve never thought to write down their sprout dates on the tag my god so simple but so much easier. :skull:

They’re looking good.

BTW I use a dome (clear solo cup) on my seedlings til they have enough of a full set of leaves to rub against the side of the plastic. The water droplet thing is a thought that the water acts as a magnifier and causes light burn from the water droplets. If the droplets sit on the plant making direct contact, it’s a non-issue. If the droplets get stuck on the “hairs” or texture of the leaves and sit suspended above the leaves, that magnification can actually happen and sometimes cause light burn. I think it’s uncommon at best, but can happen.

I just shake my plants dry when I’m ready to take off the dome (a couple quick flicks does the trick) to avoid the potential. I figure if the droplets fly off, it was a potential for harm. If they stay stuck, they’re probably flush with the leaf surface and I have nothing to worry about anyway.

1 Like

Never felt the need and I live in a dry environment (southwest desert).

I feel domes hinder sprouts (slows down growth) more than providing any real benefit to them. I’d rather my sprouts get lots of fresh air and air movement (makes stems stronger) and for the medium to dry out quicker (get those wet/dry cycles going immediately). Which also lessens the chance of over-watering, which happens from watering too often (daily spraying and watering).

I like the less is more approach to growing, less messing with plants the better. Some like to dome and give a few ml’s of water every day, do some daily spraying, etc… I don’t do any of that. I water the solo cup to runoff, plant the seed, then leave it alone and let it sprout and when the soil drys up, water again to a little runoff and let it grow and repeat as needed.

I see plenty of grows here that start with domes and I see that their sprouts don’t grow as fast as mine do. If using a dome made for faster/better growth than I would do so as I’m always looking to improve my growing, but not seeing that as an improvement over my method, see my journals and look at my 7 day old sprouts compared to anyone else’s sprouts (specially those that dome) and decide for yourself which method gets the best results.

And no point to spray a plant unless you’re doing it for a reason (pest prevention/treatment, foliar feeding to treat a deficiency, etc…)

Nothing wrong with that, 40-60RH is a great range to grow in.

Your plants are already droopy from the constant daily spraying which also keeps the top of the soil too wet. Stop the spraying and let the soil dry up and do wet/dry cycles for fastest growth.

Droopy plant.

2 Likes

Again not knocking anyone’s grow style but if there’s anybody’s advice I’d take, I figure I could do worse than @Hellraiser

That’s my way of saying @Hellraiser advice is tits

3 Likes

@Mr_Wormwood hey I appreciate the feedback. The whole point of being here is to learn from others, I don’t take it as put-down at all!

@Hellraiser thank you for the watering advice. So droopy usually = overwatered? I’ve had it happen at various times in past grows. I’ll try your suggestion re: watering schedule.

@Graysin on the tags…yeah, that just occurred to me this time!

3 Likes

Yep, other things can lead to droop as well but in most cases it’s usually over-watering.